Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Border Fence on Track For Fall

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4980373.html

Texas border fence 'on track' for fall
    Chertoff says communities will be consulted, but won't get a veto

By JAMES PINKERTON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Construction of a polarizing fence along the Texas-Mexico border is expected to begin by this fall, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff confirmed Wednesday, adding that border communities will be consulted "in terms of style" so the government doesn't "create any eyesores."

"I expect we'll be doing some construction in Texas this fiscal year," Chertoff said, referring to the government's fiscal year that ends Sept. 30.

The construction timeline appears to be the first acknowledgment by Homeland Security of a start time for the fence's construction in Texas. Federal officials, however, have still not disclosed the fence's location.

In an interview Wednesday with the Chronicle to discuss Homeland Security grants, Chertoff also provided new details for the fence, saying it would not be a solid wall, or a double layer of fencing on either side of a border road as has been installed in San Diego. He said gates would be erected to allow municipal officials access to key infrastructure such as water pumps.

Chertoff said he had seen some fencing "that was quite attractive" during his visits along the South Texas border.

"I think I was in Brownsville ... and I saw some very nice fence that was ornamental but it did the trick," he said.

Border leaders have been fighting the project saying community concerns are being ignored and that the barrier is unnecessary, will harm flood-control systems and wildlife habitats and hurt relations with Mexico. They have also been upset by what they perceive as Homeland Security's efforts to work behind the scenes to finish fence construction plans despite promises to consult with local authorities first.

Chertoff, however, pledged Wednesday to consult with border leaders on the fence design, but said "we can't give border communities a veto."

Laredo Mayor Raul G. Salinas said he has still not been told where the fence is planned in his town.

"There are some areas I'm certain may require fencing, but I don't think that's the case in Laredo, especially where it's going to be an eyesore," Salinas said.

"I understand we don't have veto power, but I hope the citizens of Laredo, the business community, the ranchers and farmers, will have an opportunity to speak about this issue," he added. "If you're going to construct something in your neighborhood, aren't you going to tell them?"

Congress allocated $1.2 billion for 370 miles of fencing along the Mexico border, with about 153 miles of it in Texas, by the end of 2008.

The homeland chief on Wednesday said he "can't rule out" that the government would use eminent domain to seize private property to make way for the fence. Governments use eminent domain to take private property for public use.

In a state rich in property rights history, that acknowledgement will likely earn a fiery reception along the border.

The secretary's comments were disappointing to border residents, who have long feared a federal land grab of their riverfront property.

'There's nothing we can do'
    "I'm not going to help them in any way," said landowner Noel Benavides of Roma. "But if they go in, I can't stop them and nobody can."

"But it hurts me to see that area on the border destroyed, but there's nothing we can do about it."

Chertoff rebutted arguments by border officials that the Rio Grande is an effective security barrier, noting that during seasonal dry spells the river narrows enough to allow easy crossing.

A fence, Chertoff said, would be better for the border environment than to allow the widespread crossing of immigrants who "trample" the riverside, leaving human and toxic waste.

"In areas where there is significant amount of migrant crossings, there is unbelievable environmental degradation," Chertoff said.

National conservation groups have joined trade groups in protesting the border fence, arguing it could wreak havoc on decades of wildlife habit restoration.

Chertoff left no doubt a fence will be erected in heavy crossing areas that are designated by the U.S. Border Patrol. Communities will be consulted on the type of fencing to be installed, and if alternative methods are "operationally compatible" to security needs, they will be implemented, he said.

But he stressed security considerations will govern the fence type and location. "Because the fence is not only to protect the border communites, it's to protect the country," he said.

He said controlling the border has become a national issue, which can't be "driven by local preference."

"I can't, in fairness, say to the rest of the country, 'Well, jeez, I'd like to help you but out but there's a particular landowner who doesn't want to be disturbed, so we're out of luck,' " he said.

McAllen Mayor Richard Cortez, a longtime opponent of the fence, said few residents believe the fence will be effective.

"We want to do the right thing, but the cities and counties, we think a proper debate hasn't taken place," Cortez said.

Chertoff said most of the fence's construction so far has taken place in Arizona.

"It's being built as we speak," he said. "We are on track."

The fiscal year ends in about two months!! How much work does this idiot think will get done?? Then he adds it will be "attractive", and it's not going to be the one that people want?? This bozo should be removed from his high paying, do-nothing job ASAP!!!

A fence is only part of it -

But to see the mayor of Laredo oppose it seems strange. I haven't been down there in years, but all the news stories present the other side of the border from Laredo as a war zone. There were stories of schools having to build fences to keep the illegals from walking acros the school grounds.

What is up with these people?

Yes, there is lots of commerce between the cities in border towns. Legitimate business did for years, and still can be, conducted through legal entry into this country.

An eyesore?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I bet it is killing Mr Jkerkoff....Cause he loves his Overlords the Mexican government...and he does not want to stop his maids and gardeners from coming

and then we have this idiot
    Laredo Mayor Raul G. Salinas said he has still not been told where the fence is planned in his town.
    Ah...Mr Mayor buy a map
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Buy a map!

Maybe we could all Google a map and send him a copy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)