Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    so he was calling a white person the N word.
    im sorry, but that it just stupidity on his part
    I would take from his statements that all United States Citizens are the same to him and not the least surprising he considers mexico as his "home" country!

Maybe this blogger should see this video... There are excellent comments at the link against this piece. The site has some regular posters who take apart the blogger's entries. I'm a big fan of cookie's post.

Why Latinos need to fight more loudly for passage of health-care reform

In borrowing a line used by Dem. Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank at a recent town hall meeting on health-care reform, "What planet do those Latinos live on who believe there is no health-care crisis?"

Rep. Barney Frank confronts the challengers of health-care reform at a town hall meeting.
    (Source: AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Amid all the screaming and shouting from both sides over this issue, the voice of Latinos has been strangely silent. Of course, the argument can always be made that the kind of in-your-face rants and upfront challenges of elected officials are just not the Latino style of battling issues, but by not doing anything there is a silent message being sent that Latinos condone the current healthcare system.

Again, I ask: What planet do you/they live on?

It's bad enough that 34 percent of our compadres and comadres don't have health insurance but for those Latinos who do have health insurance, there is a false sense of security that life is covered.

In fact, that is far from the case.

Just being Latina/o can predetermine a number of outcomes in our lives:

Die from diabetes
    Battle obesity
    Our children battle obesity
    Be infected with tuberculosis
    Have a higher rate of contracting cervical cancer
    Likelier to die from breast cancer
    Likelier to develop and die from heart disease
    Likelier to have high cholesterol
    Develop hypertension, liver disorders or lupus

And these diseases don't even include what happens to those Latinos who live high-risk lifestyles.

At one time, the country's pharmaceutical research companies were developing 581 medicines to treat diseases that disproportionately affect Hispanic Americans, according to a 2006 report by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).

Right now, under the current health-care system, develop any one of the diseases most likely to afflict Latinos and either your premiums skyrocket or, worse, your insurance company is no longer interested in providing coverage.

Why?

They might actually have to pay for treatment, medicine or hospitalization. That goes against the grain of any company guarding its profit margin.

Insurance companies restrict or deny coverage by rescinding health insurance policies on the grounds that customers had undisclosed pre-existing conditions. On June 16, a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee held a hearing exploring this practice, with the goal of examining "the practice of 'post-claims underwriting,' which occurs when insurance companies cancel individual health insurance policies after providers submit claims for medical services rendered." The committee also released a memorandum finding that three major American insurance companies rescinded 19,776 policies for over $300 million in savings over five years and that even that number "significantly undercounts the total number of rescissions" by the companies.

Yet, with health-care reform, the notion that insurance companies can't drop a person or force them to pay beyond their means just because they develop a costly condition should be something that all Latinos should endorse.

Having a health-care policy that ensures that all people, regardless of income or current health status, are entitled to have their health valued equally is a policy that should be cheered.

The current arguments against health-care reform are disingenuous because they attempt to slant the debate in a light that no one in their right mind would want. But for a demographic who face a certainty of developing illnesses that have a high-cost medicinal maintenance in the golden years, when income is extremely limited, Latinos owe it to themselves to refuse to be the easy pawns of a majority who don't worry about health-care costs and evaluate the current proposal to decide which sounds better -- a health-care system that ensures coverage no-matter-what or the continuation of a system that favors big business and those with money.

http://www.latinalista.net/palabrafinal ... ly_fo.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    so he was calling a white person the N word.
    im sorry, but that it just stupidity on his part
    I would take from his statements that all United States Citizens are the same to him and not the least surprising he considers mexico as his "home" country!
    Most of them do Iccat! I was talking to a lady I work with last week and she basically said the same thing. She was a legal immigrant from mexcio. Despite all the opportunties for success this country has provided her. Despite all the luxuries she has been able to amass through her work in this country, (not mexico) she still considers mexico to be "her country." Not the United States mind you, but mexico, a country that could not provide her with squat! She yearns to go back to "her country" one day.

I had to bite my tongue at this point and abruptly change the subject.

No matter what this country does for these people, their first love and allegiance will always be to mexico! I will never be able to understand this blinded devotion to a country which apparently forces (so they claim) their people to leave in an effort to seek "a better life" and yet they still do not embrace the country that provides them that better life!

I call this allegiance to mexcio an uneducated, ignorant devotion that is a danger to this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    Maybe this blogger should see this video... There are excellent comments at the link against this piece. The site has some regular posters who take apart the blogger's entries. I'm a big fan of cookie's post.

Just being Latina/o can predetermine a number of outcomes in our lives:

Die from diabetes
    Battle obesity
    Our children battle obesity
    Be infected with tuberculosis
    Have a higher rate of contracting cervical cancer
    Likelier to die from breast cancer
    Likelier to develop and die from heart disease
    Likelier to have high cholesterol
    Develop hypertension, liver disorders or lupus

http://www.latinalista.net/palabrafinal ... ly_fo.html
    Being that Latinos are black, White, Asian, Amerindian, or mixed, and the cultural backgrounds actually vary even while sharing some things, I just don't understand how they come to conclusions about the health of "Latinos." Which Latinos are we talking about here? Lower-income, uneducated Mestizo Mexicans? Middle-class, educated White Cubans? Jewish Cubans? Mixed race Puerto Ricans? White Argentinians of German or Welsh ancestry? Surely genetics and dietary predispositions would vary here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12