Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US shifts Visa Waiver Program authorization to Internet

US shifts Visa Waiver Program authorization to Internet
    10 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Travellers from Japan, western Europe and a number of other countries must request authorization to enter the United States on the Internet from January 2009, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Thursday.

These countries are currently exempt from visa requirements to enter the United States for short visits under the Visa Waiver Program, and the new program will keep travel to the United States "visa free" for travelers from VWP countries.

Instead of travellers filling out paper I-94 visa waiver cards en route to the United States, the new measure requires online registration.

In a statement, the DHS said mandatory prior visa authorization is required for travelers from January 12, 2009. The service has accepted voluntary visa applications for over two months, since August 1.

"Over 200,000 travelers have sought electronic travel authorization in the weeks since the site went live, and 99.6 percent of them have been approved the vast majority in under one minute," said DHS assistant secretary for policy Stewart Baker.

"Obtaining this advance information makes visa-free travel more secure, an enhancement that allows us to expand the valuable Visa Waiver Program."

The new measure is among the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission, which sought to promote laws that tighten border security in the wake of the September 11 attacks in 2001.

The DHS recommends that applications are submitted as soon as an applicant begins making travel plans. Upon authorization, travelers can enter the United States for 90 days for business or pleasure. The website is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.

Instructions on how to obtain travel authorization are available on the website in English and 13 other languages -- Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Slovene, Spanish and Swedish.

Citizens of 27 nations -- including several EU member states as well as Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Brunei -- are covered by the Visa Waiver Program.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081016/pl ... ZP5v.s0NUE
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't think we should have any waivers after 911
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Agree, Gogo. But I am getting to the point that I don't think we should have any foreign visitors, whatsoever! We still need to find out who has overstayed their visas, plus who are those that came here illegally.
    If all the water pipes in the house simultaneously are flooding the house with water through pinhole breaks, wouldn't you shut off the water?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Agree, Gogo. But I am getting to the point that I don't think we should have any foreign visitors, whatsoever! We still need to find out who has overstayed their visas, plus who are those that came here illegally.
    If all the water pipes in the house simultaneously are flooding the house with water through pinhole breaks, wouldn't you shut off the water?
    Good analogy Vortex. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vortex

Well, any human being still capable of rational and logical thought would do that.

But, in this instance, we're talking about a government agency.........

The Bush administration is poised to remove U.S. visa requirements for the citizens of seven allied countries . . .

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/default.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn