Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US soldiers build 3-mi wall to protect Sunnis from Shiites

I live in the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and get Middle Eastern news I am sure you don't get in the States.

From reading this article, it is clear that the US power elites know the vaule of a wall -physical barrier, and they will build a wall to protect Sunnis from Shiites in Baghdad, but not to protect Americans on US soil from illegal alien invaders.

Where is our "Wall of Protection" Bush?

I am disgusted again at the state of affairs in the US. I have lived abroad for the past 12 years, have not paid US taxes in 12 years and am glad I am not paying taxes for Bush's little sand box exploits at the expense of Americans on US soil.

Here is the link:
    http://www.emiratestodayonline.com/

Scroll down, click on (P42-WORLD NEWS) and the article will appear in a new window.

FYI - I posted a similar article recently about the US paying millions for a wall on the Afghan/Pakistan border. Again, your US tax dollars going to protect people halfway around the world WITH A WALL, when the US power elites won't do the same for Americans on American soil.

A patriot in the Middle East.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Published on April 21 2007 ,Page 42
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ‘Wall of protection’ being build

UNITED STATES

US soldiers are building a three-mile wall to protect a Sunni enclave surrounded by Shia neighbourhoods in a Baghdad area “trapped in a spiral of sectarian violence and retaliation”, said the military.
    When the wall is finished, the minority Sunni community of Azamiyah, on the eastern side of the Tigris River, will be gated, and traffic control points manned by Iraqi soldiers will be the only entries, said the military.

“Shias are coming in and hitting Sunnis, and Sunnis are retaliating across the street,” said Captain Scott McLearn, of the US 407th Brigade Support Battalion, which began the project on April 10 and is working “almost nightly until the wall is complete”, said the statement.

It said the concrete wall, including barriers as tall as 12 feet, “is one of the centrepieces of a new strategy by coalition and Iraqi forces to break the cycle of sectarian violence” in Baghdad.

US and Iraqi forces have long erected cement barriers around marketplaces and coalition bases and outposts in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities such as Ramadi in an effort to prevent attacks, including suicide car bombs.

American forces also have constructed huge sand barri ers around towns such as Tal Afar, an insurgent stronghold near the Syrian border.

There has been little sign of the US military using concrete barriers to divide Baghdad neighbourhoods by sect, but at least one similar construction has been reported in the capital.

Currently, the United States strategy for stabilising Iraq involves getting Iraqis to reconcile and support the democratically elected Shiadominated government in Baghdad, and a security plan in the capital that calls for 28,000 additional American troops and thousands of Iraqi soldiers.

US Major General William B Caldwell IV, the top spokesman for coalition forces in Iraq, was quoted as saying on Wednesday that he was unaware of any effort to build a wall dividing Shia and Sunni enclaves in Baghdad and that such a tactic was not a policy of the Baghdad security plan.

“We have no intent to build gated communities in Baghdad,” Stars and Stripes, the US Department of Defence-authorised daily newspaper, quoted Caldwell as saying.

“Our goal is to unify Baghdad, not subdivide it into separate [enclaves].” The Azamiyah barrier will allow authorities to screen people entering and leaving the area of northern Baghdad “while keeping death squads and militia groups out”, said the US military statement.

Security in the three Shia communities on the other side of the wall also will be stepped up, and the barrier is expected to make it harder for insurgents to plant roadside bombs in the area targeting coalition forces, said the military.

The construction work by the US military involves flatbed trucks carrying concrete barriers.

As work continued yesterday, several Sunnis welcomed the effort to improve their security, but said the wall was another sign of the deep hostility between Sunnis and Shias. (AP)

If a wall works in San Diego and a wall works in Bagdad, why can't we get a wall on our southern border? Me thinks it is time to deport polititions, that is if we can find a place that will take them!!
    <div>If you love this nation, please stop illegal immigration.</div>