Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UT: Lawmakers begin brainstorming on immigration problems

Lawmakers begin brainstorming on immigration problems
    By Jennifer W. Sanchez
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated:05/22/2008 09:30:22 PM MDT

Posted: 9:28 PM- Some lawmakers professed shock Thursday about immigration laws they learned of during the inaugural gathering of the Utah legislative Immigration Interim Committee.
    Maybe the most surprising: Immigrants who live in Utah illegally can not be criminally prosecuted solely for being here without proper U.S. documentation. They must commit a crime or be prosecuted where they illegally entered the country, said U.S. Attorney Brett Tolman. However, U.S. immigration authorities can still deport such undocumented immigrants.
    "That's nuts," said Sen. Bill Hickman, R-St. George. "If they're here illegally, they're here illegally - bottom line."
    The committee, comprised of of 11 lawmakers, met for the first time since its conception during the 2008 legislative session. Legislators, along with more than 100 people - including educators, anti-illegal immigration activists and immigrant advocates - listened to a series of presentations on immigration during the three-hour meeting at the Capitol.
    Sen. Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City, the committee's co-chair, said the goal of the group is to learn what Utah can do or not do when it comes to immigration and enforcing federal laws. Legislators will also study Utah's new comprehensive anti-illegal immigration law that goes into effect July 2009.
    The committee plans to meet it monthly until November, when it is scheduled to release a report on its findings.
    After the meeting, Jenkins said he was very pleased with the discussion.
    "We came up with a lot of good answers," he said.
    Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff told the committee there's a consensus among state law enforcement leaders that they don't want their officers cross-deputized as immigration agents - one of the provisions in the comprehensive immigration bill - because they want to focus on public safety. They don't want to enforce federal laws and are concerned that undocumented immigrants will fear working with them.
    "They don't want to do it," Shurtleff said.
    Lawmakers asked what was stopping Utah from deporting undocumented immigrants.
    Even undocumented immigrants are protected by the U.S. constitution, including the right to an attorney and due process, Shurtleff said. He warned lawmakers that the state would most likely get sued if it tried to do such a thing.
    Tolman said the U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah deported 2,500 undocumented immigrants in 2007. He estimates that about 25 percent of the federal criminal cases prosecuted by his office are connected to illegal immigration.
    Lawmakers encouraged the public to contact Art Hunsaker (ahunsaker@utah.gov) if they're interested in presenting to the group or sharing their ideas on immigration.
    "We want to listen more than we talk," said Rep. Brad Dee, R-Ogden. "I promise you we will be open minded and fair."
    The committee's next meeting is scheduled for June 19 in Logan.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9353083?source=rss
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Can someone please explaine which "constitutional rights"these llegals are refering to please?

Why do people scream "Racist" when someone says something about "enforcment"?

167 Million?................Is what they say went away in "Remitancesses

Why cant I find "Jims burger haven" anymore?

Pedros "Taqueria"? Now?????
    Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law

PREAMBLE....."We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I have still yet to FIND "THE PEOPLE OF MEXICO AND SOUH AMERICA PROCLAIM LIBERTY IN THE UNITED STATES....SINCE OUR OWN GOVERNMENTS DO NOT PROVIDE IT FOR US THERE.

RIGHTS!!!!!!! .....Hell they have more rights already in the U.S. then most citizens do!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou