Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

UT-Salt Lake Valley police chiefs discuss immigration

Salt Lake Valley police chiefs discuss immigration
    Reported by: Chris Vanocur
    Last Update: 2:08 am

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - Now that Salt Lake City has said it won't enforce federal immigration law, other local police agencies are wrestling with the same dilemma.

Monday, a dozen Salt Lake Valley police chiefs got together and talked about what they will do.

There was definitely something unusual about the lunchtime crowd at Granato's Monday. The place was lousy with cops.

One of them was Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank who told ABC 4 that, yes, they did talk at length about the controversial Senate Bill 81.

"It's one of the most highly debated pieces of legislation to come down effecting law enforcement in the last ten years, maybe even in my entire career," he said.

Senate Bill 81, which takes effect in July, cracks down on illegal immigrants. It gives Burbank and maybe some of the other chiefs some pause.

Burbank said, "We will not cross deputize Salt Lake City police officers to do immigration enforcement."

In a statement late Monday, Attorney General Mark Shurtleff concedes that officers do not have to be deputized, but warns that other parts of the immigration law do have to be enforced.

According to Burbank, police are feeling the heat. "There is a feeling that there is a lot of pressure coming from the community that law enforcement should be involved in this," said Burbank.

On a personal note, Burbank tells ABC 4, he continues to be the target of anti-immigration anger, even finding it somewhat "scary."

"I am amazed at the hostility that exists out there and, quite frankly, the racial prejudice and bigotry that exists. I have received some of the most hateful emails that I have ever heard of in my entire career."

Burbank didn't want too get too specific about what the others chiefs said, but the meeting lasted an hour and a half and some chiefs continued talking even after the meeting ended.

Even though SB 81 is slated to take effect in two and half months, there continues to be talk that it may be challenged in court before then.

They need to get this ahole out and put someone in that will do their job ...

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20 ... spx?rss=20
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Throw any one out who refuses to do the will of the people and uphold their oath of office!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)