Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vigils Bring Out Support And Criticism of Feds' Raids

The article from the Nebraska State Paper below has a bunch of links so I copied and pasted them after the main article. The last KETV and WOWT articles also have videos.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/di ... 6ed821aac0

Vigils Bring Out Support And Criticism of Feds' Raids On Meapacking Plants
    December 18, 2006

Comment and controversy continue in the wake of the feds’ raid on the Swift & Co. plant in Grand Island, aimed at those in the country illegally suspected of identity theft in obtaining jobs.

Concern for families of those who were rounded up, and comparable concern that the law be enforced, have been reflected in community discussions and in comments from public officials.

Longstanding issues have been raised in the current controversy.

Those who enter the country illegally commit a crime. Identity theft is a crime. Hiring people who enter the country illegally is a crime. Swift & Co. says it does what it is supposed to do, in line with a federal program. Some argue that the “illegal immigrants” are unfairly prosecuted – some say persecuted – since they obviously fill a need for workers.

Fifteen indictments stemmed from the roundup of 261 people in Grand Island. Authorities said more indictments were expected.

Vigils were held in Omaha and Grand Island on Sunday.

A vigil at the University of Nebraska – Omaha turned into a war of words. To access story and video report, click here.

One of the supporters of the recent raids that occurred in six states represented the “Nebraska Minutemen.” He praised the raids and said “they are the answers to a lot of people’s prayers. To access another story and video report click here.

The Grand Island Independent has offered voluminous coverage of the raid there. To access the latest story, click here. To see The Independent front page, which includes access to an extenvive video, click here.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2006/12 ... 771890.prt

Vigils held to share families' concerns about raids
    By The Associated Press
    Monday, Dec 18, 2006 - 11:18:21 am CST
    GRAND ISLAND — A Sunday prayer vigil offered support to Grand Island’s Hispanic community, which was shaken last week by a federal immigration raid at a meatpacking plant in the city.

“For many of us here, we came to this country to help provide a better life for our kids,” said Alvaro Paiz, president of the Grand Island Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. “It’s sad to see these kids crying because their fathers are in jail when all they wanted to do was come here to work.”

The chamber and local churches sponsored the vigil Sunday evening outside St. Mary’s Cathedral. More than 200 people showed up to pray for the 261 workers detained Tuesday at Swift & Co.’s plant.

The raid by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement was part of an investigation of identity theft by workers at Swift plants in Grand Island; Greeley, Colo.; Cactus, Texas; Hyrum, Utah; Marshalltown, Iowa; and Worthington, Minn. In all, 1,282 Swift workers were detained.

So far, 15 people arrested in Grand Island have been indicted. More indictments were expected, authorities said.

Antonio Hernandez, a Colombian immigrant who now lives in Lexington, said, “What happened here in Grand Island was completely and totally unjustified.”

“Even if they did come into this country illegally, it doesn’t excuse the way it happened,” he said.

The government should focus more of its investigation on the people who sold fake IDs, rather than scare immigrants who came to the U.S. to support their families, Hernandez said.

In Omaha, about 100 people turned out Sunday for a long-planned forum and vigil centering on frustrations with U.S. immigration procedures. The forum focus shifted a bit in light of the Swift raids, but not everyone who turned out supported the detained workers.

Five people carried signs showing their opposition to illegal immigration and their support of the raids.

Mike Narducci was among them. He said last week’s immigration raids were fantastic and the “answers to a lot of people’s prayers.”
    http://www.ketv.com/news/10558360/detail.html

Candlelight Vigil For Immigration Flares Up Tempers, Opinions

POSTED: 6:45 am CST December 18, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:49 am CST December 18, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

OMAHA, Neb. -- A vigil at the University of Nebraska-Omaha Sunday night turned into a war of words as the debate over the raids on illegal immigrants at meat packing plants last week continued.

Dozens turned out to hear testimonies of families separated by what they call a broken immigration system. Opponents, however, said the system is working just as it should and the raids are exactly what the country needs.

"It's the answer to a lot of our prayers. We want the raids to continue, especially this time of year when so many of our own citizens that are in need," said Mike Narducci, supporter of the raids.

"Daddy, Mexico, is what she says and she kisses his picture, you know, why can't she kiss her daddy?" said Alecia Amezcua, whose husband was deported to Mexico.

The vigil came after immigration and custom enforcement swept through six states last Tuesday taking hundreds of illegal immigrants into custody. In Grand Island, about 260 illegal immigrants who were working at Swift meat packing plant were detained, 15 of them were indicted on suspicion of identity theft.

Organizers hoped to encourage people to sign an immigration reform petition. The letter asks for a streamlined visa process and family members get more visa opportunities. Also that petitions from U.S. citizens get top priority over student and tourist visas. The petition is addressed to President George W. Bush and all of Nebraska's Congressional representatives.
    http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/4941907.html

A candlelight vigil sparks passions on both sides of the immigration debate.

Dozens of people gathered at UN-Omaha Sunday evening to share their difficult experiences with immigration.

It was one of many candlelight vigils held across Nebraska and states affected by the recent Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids.

But the people behind this vigil say it was being planned before the raids.

The immigration vigil moved along Dodge Street to the overpass.

Participants say it symbolized bridging families together, ones torn apart when a parent is deported.

Jennifer Silva is one of those people.

Her husband, Refugio, was denied legal entry to the United States.

She is raising their two-and-a-half-year-old son, Mercedes, alone.
    She told her story to the crowd of about one-hundred.

“I didn't know at the time he was illegal. That isn't a prerequisite that you ask when you start dating. Love doesn't have boundaries like that," says Silva.

Silva and others like her mainly found support in the crowd.

But five people made it clear they did not sympathize. They carried signs showing their opposition to illegal immigration and their support of the recent raids.

Mike Narducci of the Nebraska Minutemen was one of the opponents in attendance.

“Because we want everyone to know we think the ICE raids are fantastic. They are the answers to a lot of people's prayers," Narducci says.

He believes the focus should be on U.S. citizens, not illegal immigrants.

Narducci says “They consciously chose to cross the border illegally, and violate our laws and I don't see why we should have any sympathy for them."

The evening ended quietly.

But for Jennifer Silva and her husband the debate is already over.

Silva says “We are going to visit in March and hopefully in a year we can move down there to be with him. I can't sit around and wait for something to happen. I can't be without him. I love him.”

261 people were detained Tuesday at the Swift plant in Grand Island.

Fifteen of them were indicted Friday.

They’re facing charges of using fraudulent or stolen identities and being in the country illegally.

Federal prosecutors say more indictments are likely.
    More videos here:

http://theindependent.com/multimedia/vi ... player.htm

I'm getting tired of reading all these sob stories about families being split apart and their poor children are crying because daddy is in jail or has been deported, they say they only came here to make a better life for the children. Give me a break please.
    They knew darn good and well when they intered this country they were breaking the law and there was always a chance they would be caught and sent back home, what kind of a better life is that to live as a fugitive from justice, always wondering if and when you will be picked up?
    This is not the better kind of life I would want to give my family.
    You want to hear sob stories? I could tell you some of mine. I know all too well what it's like to do without and to go to bed hungry.
    I would just as soon live free in a mud hut than live in fear of the law coming after me and taking me away from my family.
    It's not that I don't have any sympathy for these people and I'm sure things are hard for them but they knew this and took a chance and lost.
    The best thing they can do is keep their mouth shut and figure out what to do now.
    Life is hard for all of us and I never went crying to the world when my world went to pieces.
    Deal with it!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    I'm getting tired of reading all these sob stories about families being split apart and their poor children are crying because daddy is in jail or has been deported, they say they only came here to make a better life for the children. Give me a break please.
    They knew darn good and well when they intered this country they were breaking the law and there was always a chance they would be caught and sent back home, what kind of a better life is that to live as a fugitive from justice, always wondering if and when you will be picked up?
    This is not the better kind of life I would want to give my family.
    You want to hear sob stories? I could tell you some of mine. I know all too well what it's like to do without and to go to bed hungry.
    I would just as soon live free in a mud hut than live in fear of the law coming after me and taking me away from my family.
    It's not that I don't have any sympathy for these people and I'm sure things are hard for them but they knew this and took a chance and lost.
    The best thing they can do is keep their mouth shut and figure out what to do now.
    Life is hard for all of us and I never went crying to the world when my world went to pieces.
    Deal with it!
    You made some good points. It is way past time the third world pulled up it's boot straps and helped itself. For how many years now or more has the America tried to help out? When America was started many were poor but they as I said pulled up their boot straps and got to work making this land a better place for each and every citizen. It took blood sweat and tears to accomplish it over time. Now many from these countries who instead of uniting with their countrymen to make their homelands a better place expect to turn our hard work into a country like theirs.
    My ancestors and many Americans ancestors who came from Europe came legally and obeyed America's laws, and gratefully learned English (the language of their new home). Not that they forgot their cultures but embraced that now above all else they were Americans. Not Germans,English,Italians,Greeks,French,Irish, Etc. but AMERICANS ,nor did they try to force others to accept their culture alone.
    These illegals come up here demanding Spanish be taught and spoken, they demand medical treatment we citizens don't even get for free. They demand rights under the Constitution they don't have. They mock and disobey our laws daily and expect to be welcomed as Americans when by their very actions they show no respect for us or America.

Another thing you never see with illegals is them taking responsibility for breaking the law. They always have an excuse and since they have an excuse they think it's O.K. to break the law. Also we never ever hear them or their followers ask for forgiveness or say that they are sorry. They always demand for things to be their way.

MW
    Silva says “We are going to visit in March and hopefully in a year we can move down there to be with him. I can't sit around and wait for something to happen. I can't be without him. I love him.”
    Okay Silva, you can stop the dog and pony show! You and I both know your husband will find his way back to the trailer park and into your bed shortly after the New Year. Our border is far from secure and anyone that wants to enter badly enough will be able to do so.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Crusader made some good points up there!
    I think what really gets to me the most is the demanding for their rights that they have not earned.
    I'm a first generation American, the son of a Scottish Highlander who served in the US Army Air Corps during WWII, where he became a US citizen and I served in the US Marines in Nam, I have also been a volunteer firefighter/EMT and a member of a K9 search and rescue group. I have always tried to serve my country and community.
    I am proud of my heritage and often wear my kilt but I am loyal to one nation and that is the United States of America.
    It galls me to no end to hear people demand rights when they have done nothing for this country except break the law.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)