Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Virtual fence necessary to monitor border

Virtual fence necessary to monitor border
    Comments 3 | Recommend 1
    May 13, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Although more than 600 miles of fencing have been built along the U.S.-Mexico border in recent years, much of the border remains open.

The reality is that fencing some 2,000 miles of border and trying to monitor and maintain it is a monumental and probably impossible task - at least if you are talking about physical barriers.

Fencing tends to work best in more populated areas, but in more remote areas there are logistical and terrain issues that can make it impractical.

That is why work was started this week on a "virtual" fence that will eventually stretch along not only the U.S.-Mexico border but also along our nation's border with Canada, which currently only has minimal monitoring.

The first virtual fence work is in Arizona.

The virtual fence overcomes some of the difficulties of installing physical fencing. It uses an array of electrical sensors mounted on tall towers in remote areas to detect border activity. Border agents monitor the cameras and other detection equipment so they can respond to intrusions.

A lot of the physical fencing has proved especially effective against vehicle crossings and has dramatically reduced the number of illegal crossers in some areas, like ours. But individuals can still successfully penetrate the fences. That is why drug smugglers, for example, have switched to people carrying drugs across in backpacks.

The virtual fence sensors could help in better detecting these individual crossings in remote areas.

Some doubt the reliability of the virtual fence, however. There were reports of problems and cost overruns with a prototype version tested here in Arizona. But Homeland Security officials say the new virtual fence has been improved.

It is likely this will be a "work in progress." As time passes, ways will be found to improve the equipment so it does a better job and border agents will find better ways to use it.

Even the imperfect prototype, which is still in use, has had some success. A Border Patrol spokesman said there had been more than 5,000 arrests from virtual sightings since September 2007 when the fence was activated.

The reality is that some type of virtual monitoring of the borders, whether with this system or an improved one, is inevitable. A physical barrier system alone is simply impractical.

http://www.yumasun.com/opinion/border-5 ... ncing.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't want movies to watch about what's happening. I want people there to stop whats happening. We don't have to monitor our northern border because they work with us and we aren't being flooded with Canadians comming here illegally.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I don't want movies to watch about what's happening. I want people there to stop whats happening. We don't have to monitor our northern border because they work with us and we aren't being flooded with Canadians comming here illegally.

I like that setup they showed on TV where there are NO illegal crossings anymore.
    It's all technology.
    As long as there are people to go get them and take them back to Mexico and NOT HERE I'm fine with it.
    With more eyes watching we can stop more.
    When I send a message that I see some on the monitor it doesn't take long before you see Border Patrol there. It works!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

And who is going to catch illegals coming in? Virtual Border Agents? The only way to slow down illegal aliens is a very tall, strong fence with barbed wire.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    And who is going to catch illegals coming in? Virtual Border Agents? The only way to slow down illegal aliens is a very tall, strong fence with barbed wire.
    Did you read the story?

"Border agents monitor the cameras and other detection equipment so they can respond to intrusions."
    Dick Morris

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedAmerican
    Did you read the story?

"Border agents monitor the cameras and other detection equipment so they can respond to intrusions."
    I know agents will monitor cameras to detect llegal aliens. I just dont think they wil be able to respond quickly enough to catch them. I would feel safer if these cameras and other detection equipment were used as a back-up to an actual fence. Not to replace a fence.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedAmerican
    Did you read the story?

I know agents will monitor cameras to detect llegal aliens. I just dont think they wil be able to respond quickly enough to catch them. I would feel safer if these cameras and other detection equipment were used as a back-up to an actual fence. Not to replace a fence.
    It's actually lots of Americans that are monitoring the camera.
    I imagine some agents do too but they need to do the apprehensions.
    Dick Morris

MW
    butterbean wrote:

I agree! Monitors and sensors are fine when supporting a physical barrier (fence), but without the fence the monitors and sensors become a lot less effective. Furthermore, remember, sensors and monitors can be turned off with the flip of a switch. The same thing can't be said for phyiscal fencing. I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it again, we need double-layered fencing stretched across the entire border. Along with the fencing we need cameras, sensors, stadium lighting and a high-speed road between the layers. That is the type of setup that was originally envisioned when the Secure Fence Act was signed into law.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    butterbean wrote:

I agree! Monitors and sensors are fine when supporting a physical barrier (fence), but without the fence the monitors and sensors become a lot less effective. Furthermore, remember, sensors and monitors can be turned off with the flip of a switch. The same thing can't be said for phyiscal fencing. I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it again, we need double-layered fencing stretched across the entire border. Along with the fencing we need cameras, sensors, stadium lighting and a high-speed road between the layers. That is the type of setup that was originally envisioned when the Secure Fence Act was signed into law.
    It's been proved that a fence slows down the illegals and a double fence really slows them down.
    Dick Morris

MW
    WorriedAmerican wrote:

It's been proved that a fence slows down the illegals and a double fence really slows them down.
    A double fence definitely increases the deterrence factor. Furthermore, those not deterred stand an excellent chance of being caught between the fencing layers.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast