Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Who is Striking Migrant Encampments and Why?

Vandals strike migrant encampments

Possessions slashed; police investigating
    By Kristina Davis
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    January 30, 2007

RANCHO PENASQUITOS – Dozens of migrant workers returned to their canyon encampments Saturday afternoon to find their belongings slashed to pieces, police said yesterday.

Several small encampments throughout Rancho Peñasquitos were targeted in a string of attacks, said attorney Claudia Smith of the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation.
    “It was truly stunning to see and pick your way through maybe 100 items, and every one of them is slashed. Jackets right down the middle,” said Smith, who notified police after reports of the attacks began to pour in Saturday. “This was so vicious and so deliberate.”

San Diego police Capt. Boyd Long said the incidents were under investigation.

Officers interviewed victims yesterday and toured the encampments, including one near Rancho Peñasquitos Boulevard and state Route 56.

It was unclear if there were witnesses or how many people were responsible for the vandalism.

The destruction appeared methodical, Smith said; for example, all the pants were slashed from the crotch down the side of the leg.

Pencils, cell phone chargers and a child's belt were not spared, she said.

“One old man kept saying to me 'mis zapatos (my shoes),' making a slashing movement in the air,” Smith said. “The workers were just stunned.”

Authorities say some of the encampments emerged in the area after migrants were ordered to clear out of nearby McGonigle Canyon in November.

The workers, many of whom are undocumented, had squatted on private land in McGonigle Canyon off and on for the past 20 years.

Landowners and police were working on a long-term plan to close the encampments last year, but the effort was hastened in November when residents, joined by supporters of the Minuteman Project, loudly protested the camps.

Developer D.R. Horton, one of the landowners, since has posted No Trespassing signs in McGonigle Canyon and torn down the large shantytown.

Many of the evicted migrants are believed to have relocated to Rancho Peñasquitos on land that is part of an open-space preserve and part privately owned, police said. Caltrans also owns some of the land along the freeway.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metr ... 0camp.html

Who is striking "migrant" encampments?
    Someone who sees the truth that they are "illegal migrant" encampments of people whose only right is to leave the country immediately?

What a waste of time for the police to do an investigation.
    I would just tell them, "Look, you should not even be in this country. I am not wasting my resources trying to protect people whose very presence here is illegal."
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

WHO IS STRIKING MIGRANT CAMPS? Who cares!!!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Police investigate alleged vandalism at migrant camps

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer
    NORTH COUNTY TIMES
    JANUARY 30, 2007

SAN DIEGO -- Several migrant encampments in Rancho Penasquitos were allegedly vandalized over the weekend, according to immigrant rights activists and police.

At one camp, clothing was slashed, boots were torn, blankets were ripped in half and other belongings were tossed around the area. The makeshift camp, which was inhabited by three men, had no walls -- only shrubs to protect them from the elements.

Claudia Smith, a longtime immigrant-rights advocate, said migrant workers began calling her network of activists for help Saturday morning.

Standing among the remains of the camp on Monday, Smith said the incidents were more than just an act of vandalism.

"This was meant to send a message that their personal safety is at stake," she said.

San Diego Police Department Capt. Boyd Long said police are investigating the allegations.

Police said one or two individuals apparently vandalized the camps sometime between Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Migrant camps, such as the one in Rancho Penasquitos, have existed in North County for decades. They are home to migrant workers who work in local agriculture fields, restaurants, landscape companies and construction sites. But the camps have become a matter of controversy as expensive housing developments are built increasingly close to the wood and plastic-tarp sheds.

Julie Adams, a Rancho Penasquitos resident who supports removing the camps, said Monday she had not heard about the alleged vandalism. She denounced the action, but also expressed displeasure at the existence of the migrant camps, which residents say are dangerous.

"I don't think it's a good idea," Adams said of the vandalism, "but I don't like what they (the people living in the camps) are doing, either."

Hundreds of workers, most of them men and many of them illegal immigrants from Mexico, lived in nearby McGonigle Canyon. Anti-illegal immigration advocates and community residents pressed city officials late last year to remove the camps, raising concerns about crime, health and fire hazards.

Many workers left the area, while others simply moved deeper into hiding, advocates said.

In November, about 200 protesters attended a rally against the camps in McGonigle Canyon. A handful of human rights activists confronted them. A local talk-radio show publicized the event as a camp-out protest, but police blocked entrance to everyone.

Smith said migrant workers reported about six campsites at different locations that were damaged over the weekend starting Saturday morning. She said the incidents occurred while most of the men were away looking for work. They were left with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, she said.

Police would not confirm the number of sites or locations that were vandalized.

At the camp near Rancho Penasquitos Boulevard, there was an empty suitcase on the ground and nearby a new pair jeans torn down the front. There was a leather belt cut in half with a the store tag still attached; a jean jacket cut as if by scissors into two equal pieces; and a set of pencils snapped at the middle.

Smith said some of the items were purchased to send to family members in Mexico. Nothing was taken from the camp, she said.

"If you can come out here with knives and do this, you have to wonder what's next?" she said.

Aristeo, a Oaxacan man who said he was friends with the people who lived in one of the shacks that was vandalized, said he could not understand why anyone would do such a thing. He is a legal resident who works as a day laborer and occasionally lives in similar camps. He spoke on the condition that his last name not be printed, out of fear of retribution.

"I'm saddened for my friends," he said. "I don't know why they do this. I don't understand."

-- Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... _29_07.txt

Claudia Smith an immigrants' rights advocate with the California Rural Leagal Assistant shows the ransacked belongings of migrant workers in Rancho Penasquitos. Police are investigating several incidents of vandalism in the area.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Sammy wrote on January 29, 2007 10:11 PM:"According to Mayor Sanders and SDPD, all migrant campers in Penasquitos have been removed. Looks like they missed a few. With all that has gone on in Rancho Penasquitos, you'd think they would pack up and go somewhere else. Obviously the people there don't want them living in the dry brush with their fires and filth. When are the alien activists going to ask them to leave??? This Claudia lady always seems to be using incidents like these to try to get us to feel sorry for the illegal aliens. I feel sorry for the locals that get abused and attacked by these criminals. Its just not right that the authorities allow them to live on private property like animals."

Double Standard wrote on January 30, 2007 12:30 AM:"Funny how fast Claudia will come out to defend what is to be alledged crime geared at one supposed group. Yet she will not do the same for ALL alledged crime victims. So might we say she is the racist in this, defending only one said group of people. Any other poor crime victims can go unrepresented by Claudia Smith's Standards. As for NCT: Why not report on the crime that the people are on trespassing on private property. They are not supposed to be there. Quit glorifying and trying to make your audience sympathize with them. Where are you when you are needed to report the true statistics of crimes committed by illegals in our communities? You barely print a word. "

Makes one wonder wrote on January 30, 2007 5:41 AM:"Could it be that the Reconquesta illegal alien supporters vandalized the illegal camp themselves to to make anti-illegal immigration groups look bad?? "

GIT ER DONE! wrote on January 30, 2007 5:43 AM:"Enough is enough! Stop this 3rd world squalor that is unsafe to all concerned. The illegals are destroying everything they touch. Deport them!"

Roberto wrote on January 30, 2007 5:46 AM:"Claudia, here is an idea of what could be next: Deport the illegals and have the rest move into Tina Jillings, Edward Sifuentes, and into your home and backyard. If you really do feel so bad for them then it shouldn't bother you. How about it Edward, when can we send them over?"

Doug wrote on January 30, 2007 7:14 AM:"Seeing as they do not own the land they are on and their belongings are not being stored in a place they pay rent, anything that is found there should be considered garbage. "

Red Flag Fire Season wrote on January 30, 2007 7:50 AM:"All illegal camps must be abated now! According to this article, the City of San Diego now has knowledge of these camps. If these camps remain, San Diego must clean up the pollution and trash from these camps. Also, the City must be held liable for any fires caused by their negligence."

Silence speaks volumes wrote on January 30, 2007 8:08 AM:"Readers of these blogs know that ordinarily Jeff Schwilk and his Minuteman network would have filled this blog with their usual anti-immigrant hatred and lies by now (8:10am). What gives?"

pincel wrote on January 30, 2007 8:15 AM:"wow all this racist people."

Where are the enviromentalist? wrote on January 30, 2007 9:35 AM:"Look at the mess the activist is standing in. Where are the enviromentalist? The real crime is that the migrants are destroying the land. Why isn't that being investigated. I thought all the camps had been removed! Doesn't SDPD have limited resources in fighting crime. Why aren't they out searching for murders,rapist and car theives? I just don't get it. "

Pete Nice wrote on January 30, 2007 9:41 AM:"How come nobody complains about the white folks who live in camps? The homeless people who have attacked folks & who break into homes & who are mentally disturbed war veterans? It's okay when the criminals are white?"

whaaa?! wrote on January 30, 2007 9:47 AM:"If they're here legally go get an apartment or a legotimate structure to live in. You can't camp by the side of the road or in a park or anywhere you want. Thats just the way it is here in the modern world. Claudia should get a clue and find her "projects" places to live where its legal, then if they are harrassed its news, until then- GIVE ME A BREAK!"

Surprised it wasn't sooner! wrote on January 30, 2007 10:10 AM:"Looks like the locals got tired of the camps and did something about it. But what gets to me is how NCTimes prints the 'poor migrants' side of stories like this, but not the resident's (who often fall victim to such 'migrants') side. The City of SD wanted them out, and so it seems the residents do too. It's messed up that whoever did it had to go so far as to trash personal belongings, but looks like they had it coming for sticking around. Of course, there's always the slight chance that maybe this was staged..."

So? wrote on January 30, 2007 10:30 AM:"Are we supposed to feel bad. A bunch of criminals had their illegally stored trash vandalized? If they dont like it, rent an apt. Cant afford that? Leave. "

NCT is a racist RAG! wrote on January 30, 2007 10:37 AM:"Stop trying to slant your "reporting" to generate sympathy for the illegals - they are LAWBREAKERS - your rag newspaper is a waste of newsprint!"

Voice of Reason wrote on January 30, 2007 10:42 AM:"People representing both sides of this issue, as well as the media elements covering these incidents consistently fail to bring about any resolution. The illegal aliens living in these camps should not be harassed or victimized by minutemen or others. It is the responsibility of property owners or law enforcement to remove trespassers from these camps. The minutemen typically don't get that point, which marks their general ineffectiveness at accomplishing anything of value at the border or elsewhere. And the illegal alien advocates are enabling a culture of crime a poverty despite their claims as 'self appointed guardians of the poor'. The media in general keeps high lighting as much negativity as possible to prevent any solutions to these problems. So the rest of us are left to deal with the problems caused by minutemen, attorneys for smugglers, and people who want to sell newspapers."

To voice of reason wrote on January 30, 2007 12:10 PM:"Well said!!!!!"

Frustrated Democrat wrote on January 30, 2007 12:37 PM:"Seems to be a majority of people want this mess cleaned up and do not believe the propaganda regarding the poor immigrants. Good! Now if we only had some politicians that really would try to enforce the laws already on the books. No sympathy from this one - now or ever!"

Bill in PQ wrote on January 30, 2007 12:52 PM:"To whoever is helping the police and the property owners remove the illegal aliens from their illegal squatter camps, the people of Penasquiotos and San Diego say "Thank You". The illegals are starting to get the message that San Diego is no longer a sanctuary for these fence-jumpers. Now if we can just deport Claudia Smith back to Guatemala! Thank you Minutemen for working to rid our canyons of the illegal squatters! My son's bike was stolen 6 months ago and then found near one of these villages. I and my neighbors have had it and will push to see every illegal in the area sent home!"

Roberto wrote on January 30, 2007 12:57 PM:""It's okay when the criminals are white?" That was either an incredibly stupid statement or have you just ignored all the recent stories concerning the homeless? There is a difference you know. There are the homeless citizen's of the United States who do have a right to our help and then there are the foreign nationals who entered our country in violation of our sovereign laws who have the right to be apprehended, detained, prosecuted, and deported back to their own country. "

That Claudia wrote on January 30, 2007 1:35 PM:"She sure likes to be in the paper a lot."

Fed Up wrote on January 30, 2007 1:56 PM:"Thank God these canyons are FINALLY being cleaned out.We live on the edge of one & fear every day there'll be another devastating fire started by illegals. What courage Julie Adams has!! Wish she could be cloned a 100 times! We're so fed up with the bleeding hearts like Claudia Smith & disgusted with the NCT for giving her credibility & print."

Lady Liberty wrote on January 30, 2007 5:36 PM:"Regardless of where you stand on the issue of illegal aliens, attempting to justify the destruction of anyone's personal property is simply odious. But some here think it's OK because they "live like animals", "destroy everything they touch", and are "criminals" and "lawbreakers". I'll bet the same things were said about many of your ancestors when they first immigrated to this country. As for the criticism of this newspaper and the writer, the last time I checked, the first amendment of the Constitution guarantees freedom of the press. But many here took offense at the voicing of opinions which differed from their own. The writer of this story did an excellent job of presenting many sides of the issue, as any good journalist should. If you people want your news controlled, then move to Russia or China. Finally, remember the words that appear on my plaque: Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! (Funny, it doesn't seem to say anything about excluding Mexicans...)"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

I thought squatting was illegal. If it is illegal in the state then the police should arrest them and detain them for ICE. There are lots of solutions but it seems no one to execute them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    SOSADFORUS wrote:

WHO IS STRIKING MIGRANT CAMPS? Who cares!!!!!
    Just thinking another reason to feel sorry for the poor illegals doing jobs Americans won't do and the hardships they face...

It's about time the criminals got a taste of their own medicine. Now they are the victims for a change.

They don't realize how they can be victimized. They often get robbed repeatedly as they carry lots of cash and often once fed up they fight back where they get badly beaten or killed. Their homes also get burglarized as they keep cash there as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is ridiculous! The encampments need to be cleaned out PERMANENTLY! DR Horton who owns this land should be prosecuted for harboring criminals. BTW did you see the video work Immigration Watchdog did on North County sending healthcare vans to these sites to give the illegals medical attention?

I bet MECha did it ...so they could accuse the opposition ...the Brits did crap like that in Ireland...to blame the IRA...oldest tactic in the world!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast