Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Why Aren’t High School Kids Finding Summer Jobs?

Why Aren’t High School Kids Finding Summer Jobs?
    [James Fulford]

Here’s an article from the Wall Street Journal, via Yahoo Finance, so it’s free: http://biz.yahoo.com/wallstreet/080423/ ... .html?.v=1

High Schoolers Feel the Chill In the Hunt for Summer Jobs
    Wall Street Journal
    Wednesday April 23, 2:39 pm ET
    By Sue Shellenbarger

More teens will be looking for summer jobs this year than last — but fewer will be getting them.

After sinking to a new low in 2007, teen summer employment is expected to fall again, to the lowest rate in the 60-year history of government jobs data. Working teens ages 16 to 19 will slide to 34% of the population, from 34.5% last year, predicts of the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University. That’s down from 45% in 2000 and a high of 48.5% in 1989.[More]
    Of course, the biggest reason for this is immigration. See New York’s Other New Economy By William Fronhoefer, or Joe Guzzardi’s Abolishing New England: Cheap Labor vs. College Kids..

Ms. Shellenbarger does mention the I-word as one factor:

Weakness in the economy is accelerating a structural shift in employment patterns. More adults, including unemployed college grads, older workers, former welfare recipients, immigrants and working adults seeking second jobs, are competing for low-skilled hourly posts.
    But immigration is the largest factor–there are uncounted millions of illegals in the country. I say uncounted, because they can’t be counted, but it’s something like twenty million.
    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2008/04/24/4536/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee, imagine that!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

There was a program on CSpan2 (or regular, can't remember which) within the last week or two, in which a House or Senate committee held hearing on unemployment, especially amongst the African-American portion of the population, and in particular, men.

Steven Camarota of CIS (www.cis.org; Ctr for Immigration Studies - a 'friendly' to us) testified that there are approx. 22 million American men that are seemingly alive, but not directly: unemployed, employed, or disabled - in short, they have mysteriously (with requisite sarcasm and irony) 'disappeared' from the available tracking mechanisms put in place by the Federal Gov't (either through State Labor / Employment Depts., Soc. Sec. Admin, etc).

Other basic employment / workforce stats for perspective and reference:

US Workforce: approx. 170 million (of total pop of 304 million)

Number of IAs (official est.) in US: 12 million

Number of IAs working (having jobs) in US: approx. 7 million

US Unemployment Rate: approx. 5% (or 8.5 million of 170 million in workforce officially)

etc.

What does that tell you about the effectiveness or intellectual honesty in reporting labor / employment information??? (to me, not much).

40% of the decline in employment of black men is due to immigration. Foreign workers are taking American's jobs and depressing wages. And while Americans from all backgrounds are being harmed, lower to middle income African American workers are being disproportionately affected.

–Dr. Frank Morris, former Executive Director of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation; February 2008

I remember mowing yards, roofing, heaving work...you know, the kind of work that I am told that I didn't want ?! Yes, I am ULTRA angry that these are no longer available to my kids as they once were!!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

As a little kid, I mowed many yards in the neighborhood (charging $2.25 for the entire yard in the late 1950's and early 60's) and picked blackberries in the wild areas behind our house. Charged $0.25 for a quart and $0.35 for a gallon and went aroung the neighborhood knocking on doors to sell 'em. Always had satisfied customers for both the yard and blackberries. A lot of blackberry pies and cobblers were made in that neighborhood during those years.

During high school, I worked as a bus boy and in a factory.

Well, for my part, I just hired the 11-yr-old kid down the block to mow my lawn. He is excited to be making money.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Good for you OC! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC
    Well, for my part, I just hired the 11-yr-old kid down the block to mow my lawn. He is excited to be making money.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

I blame a variety of factors, the main thing being greedy employers. I also blame poor management at fast food restaurants, for not keeping young employees in-line (sometimes, young workers can be immature and undisciplined, and the managers let the kids run all over them). I also blame, especially in more affluent areas, parents who spoil their children, and don't make them go out and find jobs. They give them everything, and the kids don't want to work.

And, in some low income neighborhoods, people on gov't assistance sometimes don't have the incentive to work...yet another problem.

There's a variety of problems, but first and foremost it's illegal immigration/greedy employers which is hurting our teenagers. The other problems that I listed need to be addressed, as well, though.

There needs to be a way to pair-up prospective employers with our young people, maybe through the school system, but I haven't figured out a way to do that.

Ostrich

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBorn
    Good for you OC! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC
    Thank you, Texas! I am trying!!!
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast