http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/20 ... 811708.txt

Debatable -- Should the state prohibit undocumented immigrants from getting driver's licenses?

By Dustin Block
State Sen. Cathy Stepp said Wednesday she is undecided on a bill that would ban undocumented immigrants from getting a driver's license.

"My job is to listen to both sides of the issue, which I plan to do at the hearing," said Stepp, who serves on a Senate committee scheduled to take up the legislation today.

Stepp, R-Yorkville, added that she understands opponents want to at least slow down the legislation to determine if it's needed, or goes too far.

"They're saying maybe we should wait and take a time-out, and, well, maybe we should," Stepp said. "It's something I'll consider."

The legislation, Senate Bill 334, would require the state to record how long a legal alien - someone who is not a citizen, but is in the country legally - is allowed to stay in the country. An undocumented immigrant would not be able to provide the required information, and therefore would be barred from getting a driver's license.

Should the state bar undocumented immigrants from getting a driver's license?

The proposal easily passed the Assembly in September. Supporters say it is needed to comply with a federal anti-terrorism law, the Real ID Act, that will make driver's licenses invalid forms of ID if states don't tighten guidelines on how the licenses are issued. This could cause several problems, including barring driver's licenses as a valid form of ID when boarding a plane, and all 50 states are expected to comply with the act.

But opponents counter that undocumented immigrants will drive with or without a license, particularly if they need to get to a job or support their family. Barring them from a driver's license may increase the number of hit-and-run accidents and generally make the roads less safe. They add that the federal legislation is aimed at terrorists - not at punishing undocumented immigrants.

Opponents have organized a statewide Coalition for Safer Roads in opposition to the bill. About 1,200 people, including eight busloads of people from Racine, rallied at the Capitol on Tuesday against the legislation. A smaller contingent is planning to return to Madison today to attend the hearing.

Stepp's stance on the issue could be critical in the bill moving to the full Senate, and local opponents of the measure are cautiously optimistic that they have an ally in their state senator. Stepp has broken from her party in the past to support in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants.

"That's why they (opponents of the driver's license bill) are so excited to talk with me, because maybe I'll break ranks on this one," Stepp said.

Maria Morales, a Racine activist, said she is hopeful Stepp will do the same on the driver's license bill.

"I'm hoping she does something before she leaves us," said Morales; Stepp will not seek re-election next November. Morales is the Racine coordinator for Voces de la Frontera, an advocacy group based in Milwaukee.

Despite their hope, opponents were critical of Stepp for not responding to several calls they've made to her office in recent weeks. Christine Neumann-Ortiz, executive director of Voces de la Frontera, said Stepp has been inundated with opposition from dozens of people, but has refused to clarify her stance on the issue.

"We want her leadership on this issue," Neumann-Ortiz said. "We're not assuming she's opposed to the bill; we want to hear from her."

Stepp and Morales exchanged phone calls on Wednesday, but didn't talk. Stepp said she would meet with Morales on the issue, and added that she has talked with high school students and that her staff talked with opponents of the legislation on

Tuesday.

Gov. Jim Doyle is undecided on the issue, said Melanie Fonder, a spokeswoman for the governor. He met with opponents, but also noted that the federal legislation may tie the state's hands.

"Obviously the governor has to make sure that we're getting to the point where we have driver's licenses that allow people to travel on airplanes," Fonder said.

Morales, concerned about the political impact on Doyle, said opponents of the bill hope to stop the legislation in the Senate.

"They want to kill this in committee, so he (Doyle) doesn't have to make this decision," she said.