http://www.timesheraldonline.com/todaysnews/ci_3574146

Workshop helps immigrants apply for citizenship

By RACHELLE GINES, Times-Herald correspondent
Vallejo Times Herald

Alejandro Madero of Vallejo walked the streets, fearful police would arrest him for being an illegal immigrant.
That was 22 years ago.

On Sunday, Madero filled out an application for U.S citizenship at a Vallejo workshop meant to encourage more people like him to apply for citizenship, and make the process easier.

At the citizen assistance workshop at St. Vincent's Ferror Catholic Church volunteers and staff screened applicants for citizenship eligibility, answered questions and proofread applications. The workshop was sponsored by a Catholic agency and a nonprofit organization.

Madero and his wife, Teodora, applied for amnesty in 1995, and became legal residents in 2000. Now, he is focused on becoming a citizen so he can be ordained as a deacon of the Catholic church and perform weddings, preside at funerals and conduct baptisms.

"I want to return my good fortune, give thanks to God and serve the community," Madero said.

Madero first came to Redwood City and stayed with his uncle, working as a carpet cleaner and handyman. Although he left his home in Ensenada, Mexico for a better life, he said his first years were difficult in America.

"I was scared people would find me and take me back to Mexico. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't sleep," Madero said.

Currently a maintenance coordinator at a Novato elementary school, Madero said his life is much different than he thought it would ever be.

In 2001, Madero bought his first home in Vallejo and four of his children attend private schools in Marin and Solano counties. Just recently, his oldest son entered the aerospace engineering program at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

Kathy Differding, program director of the non-profit California Human Development Corporation in Santa Rosa, worked together with Catholic Charities to host the event. She said she got involved because she wants to help hard workers earn legal status.

"They have done their share," Differding said. "They contribute a lot to society, and a lot of these people are very loyal to America. They are good neighbors and many of them deserve to become citizens."

Differding encourages anyone with a citizenship question to come to a workshop. She stressed that the workshops are confidential.

"Don't be afraid. We have a reputation of helping," Differding said. "We don't even ask for people's names aside from helping to fill out an application."

Sidestepping tables and chairs, Differding examined green cards and stopped to answer questions in Spanish. Crossing her arms, the UC Berkeley graduate said the dot-com bust of Silicon Valley cut California's tax base, in turn affecting budgeting for citizenship programs.

Along with state budget cuts, she said citizenship programs are operating with less than half of what they had.

"We need more funding. We really have to hustle ... and we can't focus on all things we need to," Differding said.

For information on citizenship classes and workshops, call Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Santa Rosa at 578-6000.