Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant Dogs and Cats???

A cat named Red sits amid the supplies in the cat tent in the temporary "Little Lebanon" section of the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah on Friday, Dec. 29, 2006. In September, Best Friends airlifted 295 dogs and cats displaced by the war in Lebanon and brought them to the sanctuary to find new homes. So far, 57 dogs and 68 cats have been adopted by people across the U.S. (AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

Why are we importing domestic animals? Don't we have enough unadopted dogs and cats in America?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why are we importing domestic animals? Don't we have enough unadopted dogs and cats in America?
    Actually you raise a good point. We are putting large quanities of animals to sleep all over this country because of overpopulation and people just not caring for them.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

If you take a trip to your local shelter, your heart will break at the sight of all the homeless cats and dogs. I understand people wanting to help those foreign animals but why can't they be helped and stay in that area? The animals waiting in cages here in America are our first priority. Adopting those animals before the already needy ones here is just being selfish. That is so sad.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Banned
    You're absolutely right Dixie. Around 10 million animals are euthanized every year in the US for lack of enough homes. While Best Friends Sanctuary is a great organization and they have a fantastic facility, from what I know of them, they do not routinely take large numbers of animals in from across this country. This leaves me thinking that they did this at least partly for the PR value, and with the idea that they could adopt out these animals fairly quickly. It's amazing how people will flock to adopt animals that are specifically labeled as "Katrina orphans" or "puppy mill" puppies (even though they might otherwise have little interest in other equally homeless and worthy animals!).

Animals are still running wild in the streets of New Orleans. They say they are every where and many are not fixed! They still go out and throw whole bags of food out at drop sites for them.

http://animal.discovery.com/features/ka ... trina.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/katrina/

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Animals are still running wild in the streets of New Orleans.
    I'm sure y'all have probably seen this but this video has to be one of the saddest and most heart wrenching things to come out of Katrina with regards to all the pets.

http://www.forpitssake.org/katrina.html
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Many of those poor animals were not abandonded but they lost their owners. The shelter and evacuation process should include family pets. In some cases, people will stay behind with their animals. Hell or high water, mine would go with me.

Dixie