Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Urgent, Call your House Members NOW!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14547493.htm

WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO HAVE THIS LAW EXTENDED FOR 25 MORE YEARS. THAT'S LONG ENOUGH FOR THE ILLEGALS THAT HAVE MANAGED TO VOTE TO TAKE OVER. END THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get to your House Members and tell them you want ENGLISH only in the polling place. Tell them they can make an exception for Puerto Rico but no where else in Voting America. Americans can Read English. This will preserve the integrity of our elections. Say no to Spanish Speaking Voters.
    http://www.house.gov/

House committee rejects effort to end bilingual voting provisionsFREDERIC J. FROMMER
    Associated Press
    WASHINGTON - What was to have been a simple renewal of the historic Voting Rights Act has become snarled in the heated debate involving immigration issues.

Conservative House members tried on Wednesday to end a requirement in the 1965 law that bilingual ballots and interpreters be provided in states and counties where large numbers of citizens speak limited English.

But the House Judiciary Committee and its chairman, Wisconsin Republican Jim Sensenbrenner, rejected the effort.

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said voting in English should pose no problem for any U.S. citizen.

"If you are born in America, you should know English," he said. "If you are a naturalized citizen, you should have passed an English proficiency test."

The committee voted 26-9 against amending the law, which ended racist practices such as poll taxes and literacy tests in Southern states, so it no longer would require the bilingual ballots and interpreters. Sensenbrenner expressed regret that the immigration and voting rights issues had become enmeshed.

"Here we are not dealing with illegal immigrants, we are dealing with U.S. citizens," Sensenbrenner said. He has angered many Hispanics as the author of a House-passed bill that would make being an illegal immigrant a felony.

About 500 political subdivisions in 31 states must offer bilingual assistance. Of those states, five - Alaska, Arizona, California, Texas and New Mexico - must provide the assistance statewide.

Later, the committee voted 33-1 to extend the law, due to expire next year, for 25 more years. Only Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who offered the amendment to strike the bilingual ballots, voted no.

Republicans voted 11-9 against King's amendment. Democrats opposed it unanimously.

"At a time when the U.S. is experiencing record immigration, it is essential that we return to this tradition" of using ballots only in English, King said.

Sensenbrenner noted that Spanish is spoken in Puerto Rico, and that many people from that territory settle on the mainland.

"They are just as much U.S. citizens as anybody else," he said. "...I believe they should have access to bilingual ballots."

Rep. Louis Gohmert, R-Texas, said people who do not speak English will not be able to succeed in this country. He told of a Hispanic neighbor who requires his children to speak English in the home with that philosophy in mind.

That prompted a heated reply from Rep. Linda Sanchez, D-Calif., who recalled that when she was a child, she spoke English in school and Spanish at home.

"That hasn't prevented me or my sister from reaching our full potential," said Sanchez, whose sister, Loretta Sanchez, is a Democratic congresswoman from California.

Sensenbrenner said he expects the bill to come up for a vote in the full House next week.

ON THE NET

Information on the bill, H.R. 9, can be found at http://thomas.loc.gov/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Go King!!!

Defeat this retarded crap now.

Good Grief.

ENGLISH ONLY!!

Lou Dobbs, hope you are watching this....we need a big expose!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Judy,

Sensenbrenner wants to KEEP the bi-lingual ballot.
    Sensenbrenner noted that Spanish is spoken in Puerto Rico, and that many people from that territory settle on the mainland.

"They are just as much U.S. citizens as anybody else," he said. "...I believe they should have access to bilingual ballots."

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Go Senssenbrenner!!!
    he's against English only

there is a difference between "territorial citizens" and "citizens" of the states -- a territory can be here today and gone tomorrow and they are not citizens entitled to the "Bill of Rights" -- so exactly how does our government deal with territorial citizens that "settle on the mainland"?

and there is a big difference between "poll taxes and literacy tests in Southern states" and speaking a 'foreign' language
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Thanks for bringing that to my attention!! I thought when I read that that he was just keeping it for Puerto Rican ballots in Puerto Rico.

I DELETED "Go Sensenbrenner"!

What is the man thinking?

Geeezzz.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The man has been straddling both sides of the fence.........
    GETTIN KINDA SORE, I'll bet.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah....he sponsors a great bill like HB 4437 and then rejects the ability to stop illegal voters with the bilingual ballot proposal...strange.

Anything to get votes from non-americans
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention!! I thought when I read that that he was just keeping it for Puerto Rican ballots in Puerto Rico.

I DELETED "Go Sensenbrenner"!

What is the man thinking?

Geeezzz.

I was kinda confused when I read it too ... I thought I was reading it wrong, but nope, I was right -- he was opposed to English only.
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

ang
    These groups (private & legislative), who want to defend "undocumented immigrants," make it a "racial" issue to create discord. We are poised on one fact, & that is people who come into this country illegally have broken the law. In doing so, they are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS! How many other laws are they willing to break once here? Oh, I almost forgot, these are ALL "hard working people, who do jobs Americans will not do."
    That's what Congress says, therefore it must be so. I want to barf every time I hear that crap!

By the way, Puerto Ricans do learn English in school. I have had them in classes & they speak very well. Of course, some do not stay in school, & some just don't go. The Mexican condition is not the same. Many never learn to read & write in their own language. A sad situation, but not of our making, rather the fault of a corrupt, indifferent government at all levels.