Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

56% Oppose Justice Dept Challenge of Arizona Immigration Law

56% Oppose Justice Department Challenge of Arizona Immigration Law

Friday, June 18, 2010

The Obama administration has reportedly decided to challenge Arizona’s new immigration law in federal court, but a recent Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 56% of U.S. voters oppose such a challenge.

Just 26% believe the Justice Department should challenge the legality of Arizona’s law in court. Eighteen percent (18%) are undecided in the survey conducted May 26 and 27.

Fifty-eight percent (58%) of voters, in fact, favor passage of a law like Arizona’s in their own state.

When asked specifically about the chief provision of the Arizona law, support is even higher. Sixty-nine percent (69%) of voters believe a police officer should be required to check the immigration status of anyone stopped for a traffic violation or violation of some other law if he suspects the person might be an illegal immigrant.

Arizona voters support the state's new immigration law more than ever, with 71% in favor of it.

Supporters of the law say it’s necessary because the federal government is not enforcing immigration policy and illegal immigrants are an increasing budget and public safety burden on the state.

President Obama, the president of Mexico and others including several major Hispanic organizations have complained that the law may lead to racial profiling.

Sixty-four percent (64%) of voters believe the federal government by failing to enforce immigration law is more to blame for the current controversy over Arizona’s new statute than state officials are for passing it. Only 27% blame Arizona officials more for passing the law.

Seventy-nine percent (79%) of Republicans and 59% of voters not affiliated with either major political party oppose the Justice Department challenge. Among Democrats, 44% favor the challenge, but 34% are opposed.

Similarly, while 66% of Mainstream voters think the legal challenge is a bad idea, the Political Class has more mixed feelings: 41% favor the challenge, 17% oppose it, and 42% are undecided.

Most voters have consistently criticized the federal government for not doing enough to secure the border.

Among voters who are angry about immigration, 83% are angry at the federal government. Only 12% direct their anger at the immigrants themselves.

While Americans continue to strongly support efforts that will slow or stop illegal immigration, most also still favor a generally welcoming policy of legal immigration. However, a sizable majority continue to say as they have for years that it is more important to gain control of the border than it is to legalize the status of undocumented workers.

Sixty-seven percent (67%) of U.S. voters say military troops should be sent to the Mexican border to help prevent illegal immigration.

www.rasmussenreports.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fifty-eight percent (58%) of voters, in fact, favor passage of a law like Arizona’s in their own state
    I would veture to say that the number is higher then 58%. Go back to the beginnings of the Presidential Campaigns. And what a thrill it was to listen to that for so damn long. At that time THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY WAS THE IMMIGRATION PROBLEM. People wanted the borders secure and laws enforced.

Oh,and then along came the sudden 4.00 a gallon gasoline all of a sudden economy went to the dumps on us. So naturally the tunes started to change.

But even talking with neighbors and friends,I have found that ALL OF THEM want this taken care of now! But these are people that really DO NOT GET THEMSELVES INVOLVED. They have a busy life schedule or kids and activities to do. Or some of them do not get involved because it JUST ENRAGES THEM MORE.

So I would say the numbers are higher that want this situation taken care of today!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou