Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    Here is a link to some images of the "devices."

http://www.nbc11.com/slideshow/news/109 ... ;s=1;w=400

Again, people need to get a grip. Folks, if the terrorists have us so worked into an irrational frenzy that something like this is landing people in jail on serious charges, then they have already won. A terrorist doesn't need to actually destroy anything in order to accomplish his mission. Turning us against each other by creating paranoia and setting the stage for this country to turn into a police state (see: The Patriot Act) is, to my mind, more devastating by far than any bomb blast.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost

Again, people need to get a grip. Folks, if the terrorists have us so worked into an irrational frenzy that something like this is landing people in jail on serious charges, then they have already won. A terrorist doesn't need to actually destroy anything in order to accomplish his mission. Turning us against each other by creating paranoia and setting the stage for this country to turn into a police state (see: The Patriot Act) is, to my mind, more devastating by far than any bomb blast.
    I don't think that people were in a frenzy.I think that the city followed procedure until they had clarification of what the device was. If anything, the media should get reprimanded for plastering it all over the news. They are the ones creating the hype. I did not see any cops with cameras out there.

I would also like to point out that it becomes more obvious what the object is when it is dark outside and lit up with pretty lights. During the daytime when it is not lit up, the image is not obvious, especially at a distance. If I recall, there were wires with batteries attached too. And again, Crocket, is it normal to dangle an electronic device off of a bridge? Better safe than sorry, but we could do without the media hype.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost

I don't think that people were in a frenzy.I think that the city followed procedure until they had clarification of what the device was. If anything, the media should get reprimanded for plastering it all over the news. They are the ones creating the hype. I did not see any cops with cameras out there.

I would also like to point out that it becomes more obvious what the object is when it is dark outside and lit up with pretty lights. During the daytime when it is not lit up, the image is not obvious, especially at a distance. If I recall, there were wires with batteries attached too. And again, Crocket, is it normal to dangle an electronic device off of a bridge? Better safe than sorry, but we could do without the media hype.
    Fair enough, but regardless of who is responsible for this thing getting hyped beyond all proportion and people being brought up on charges with very serious consequences, it is an unacceptable way to run a free society. The correct answer here would have been for everyone to take a step back, laugh about the absurdity of the situation and the way that it unfolded, and get back to normal. But instead, agents of the police state who flew off the handle are having to cover for their own excitability by pointlessly prosecuting a couple of average Joes who were hired to do a little viral advertising.

I will repeat, this is very dangerous ground. This sort of idiocy is how police states are born. Heck, half of the harmless and lighthearted pranks we pulled at kids would result in a kid today being locked away or subjected to mandatory medication. It's absurd. The State is so afraid of having people who can think for themselves or who it (the State) cannot easily characterize and predict that it is cramming us all into a tight little homogenizing box. Worse yet, it is intentionally inflicting is paranoiac pathology on as many of the citizens as it can to the point that we're all turning into "pod people," like the drones pointing and issuing an inhuman moan in the direction of the unassimilated in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers. Be glad that we can still combine our efforts on sites such as this one, because at this rate our current activities will be outlawed as racist and anti-State within a decade or so.

Heck, half of the harmless and lighthearted pranks we pulled at kids would result in a kid today being locked away or subjected to mandatory medication. It's absurd.
    I see where you are coming from too. But is it just me, or have people lost their freaking minds? Back when we were kids, we knew right from wrong, so things were just normal most of the time. If you turn the tv on now, people are eating rats and eyeballs and risking their life for fiteen minutes of fame. They'll dangle off of a beam 20 stories up for a trip to Jamaica...We are living in an anything goes society now. Remember that show, Dog Eat Dog. Some guy passed out underwater and is now brain damaged...the radio contest gone bad where a lady died from drinking too much water...the list goes on. Sure, people have the right to do pretty much what ever they want, but should they? I think they are trying to make an example of Turner Broadcasting to deter future copycat advertisers. So, do tell...what pranks did you pull as a kid?

Heck, half of the harmless and lighthearted pranks we pulled at kids would result in a kid today being locked away or subjected to mandatory medication. It's absurd.
    I see where you are coming from too. But is it just me, or have people lost their freaking minds? Back when we were kids, we knew right from wrong, so things were just normal most of the time. If you turn the tv on now, people are eating rats and eyeballs and risking their life for fiteen minutes of fame. They'll dangle off of a beam 20 stories up for a trip to Jamaica...We are living in an anything goes society now. Remember that show, Dog Eat Dog. Some guy passed out underwater and is now brain damaged...the radio contest gone bad where a lady died from drinking too much water...the list goes on. Sure, people have the right to do pretty much what ever they want, but should they? I think they are trying to make an example of Turner Broadcasting to deter future copycat advertisers. So, do tell...what pranks did you pull as a kid?
    Good points Neese. I am in the area, so am waiting for all this to play out. I heard on a local radio station that Mayor Menino really botched the handling of this. We shall see.

PS. We went corning and cow-tipping. That was the extent of pranks for me... maybe I will think of more later.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Banned
    Oh, you know... the usual. We made smoke bombs, stole the cannon from the rival high school (whose players painted our field house in their school's colors every year) and sunk it in a nearby lake with a buoy attached to it so the could retrieve it after the game (which they did), gathered all the discarded Christmas trees (over 100) on the evening of Jan. 1 and placed them in someone's yard overnight so that they awoke to a pine forest, etc.

Look, I am opposed to anything that would cause someone harm, but this particular case is just a case of hysteria and little else.

Funny Crocket, I am not even going to ask how you steal a cannon, but I am sure that you did it with finesse.

Annie, what is corning? Does cow tipping really work?

I never saw the one that resembled the pipe bomb but the ones I saw did not look threatening to me. It sounds like the mayor went nuts over it and ended up making himself and the police look silly. The mayor has say over the police chief and the department so they must have been following the mayors orders.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    I never saw the one that resembled the pipe bomb but the ones I saw did not look threatening to me. It sounds like the mayor went nuts over it and ended up making himself and the police look silly. The mayor has say over the police chief and the department so they must have been following the mayors orders.
    Swatchick, my best guess is that some worrywart called the first one in. the cops came down to check it out and then called the bomb squad just to be safe. Now youhave to know that the bomb squad is probably bored stiff 99 days out of 100, so they were happy to take a look. At some point some reporter heard on the scanner that the bomb squad was being deployed and the sensationalist media entered the equation. The local affiliate apprised the network as other local affiliates apprised their networks, and by that time guys seeing the thing on TV thought, "Damn, I saw one of those things down on 5th Street today!" Other people started calling in on the other devices (which had been in place for two weeks at that point) and frenzy was on. Next thing you know, the mayor was politicking and wanting to show that he's "tough on crime and even tougher on terrorism." Probelm was that there was niether a crime nor terrorism, but rather just a bunch of overcautious police officers (and maybe a little bit of wet-behind-the-ears panic) with the pot being stirred by a media machine that smelled a scoop and weren't going to let is get away even if there was no story other than the one they created.

I think that the most ironic thing is that CNN played a major role in generating a media panic. CNN is part of Turner Broadcasting, meaning that these guys were going off the deep end over a stunt pulled by their OWN COMPANY.

I think it was one great big publicity stunt. CrocketsGhost; you are pretty close on that one. If it is like most police departments they have a media relations department and you as an officer you can't say much but refer them to media relations. The media do listen to scanners and once they get something they notify media relations. Media relations gets information from the officers on the scene and at that point decide what information the media gets. Unless the mayor decides to speak to the media. I think they just made fools of themselves.

I know the county's policy here is that if any suspicious package is found and the police officer also deems it suspicious then the bomb sqaud is called in and the item gets xrayed. The media is only told that there is a suspicious item and nothing else until the item is xrayed and a decision is made if they are going to blow it up or if it is harmless. There is no real hype about it unless it is at the airport or Port of Miami.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast