7 killed in 6 Chicago shootings

Spate of weekend gun slayings reported across city

By Jeremy Gorner and Sally Ho | Tribune Reporters
June 1, 2009

A 30-year-old Chicagoan who was striving to be the "man of the house" in which he and his extended family lived was killed and two of his cousins were wounded Saturday evening in a shooting near their South Side home.

The shootings occurred on the 10500 block of South Indiana Avenue in the Roseland neighborhood about 11 p.m., down the block from the home of the fatal gunshot victim, Demond Stansbury.

Stansbury was among seven people slain in several shootings Saturday night and Sunday in Chicago. No one was charged in any of the slayings.

Calvin Stansbury said he, his brother Steven and Demond were talking with several other people in a vacant lot when the gunman approached them. Words were exchanged, then shots were fired.

"I got shot, my brother got shot in the knee and my cousin, one of my best friends, he's dead," said Calvin Stansbury, who was treated for a wound to the arm and released.

Steven Stansbury, 30, was treated at a hospital and released.

In addition to Calvin and Steven, Demond Stansbury lived in the house with his mother, fiance, their 14-month-old daughter and other relatives.

Demond Stansbury was a family man who looked after his relatives following his grandparents' deaths within the last few years.

Elsewhere, Shannon Wilson, 28, died about 10:50 p.m. Saturday after being shot in the 900 block of East 104th Street, police said.

Marcelino Rivera, 26, of the 6400 block of South Richmond Street in the Marquette Park neighborhood, was shot and killed outside his home about 2:12 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Demetrius Tyson, 32, of the 900 block of North Lavergne Avenue, and Quincy Chaines, 32, of the 4300 block of West Augusta Boulevard, were killed Sunday on the 1100 block of North Kildare Avenue on the West Side.

Randall Ewing, 34, of the 9900 block of South Throop Street, was killed in what police said was a drive-by shooting at 3 a.m. Sunday in the 900 block of West Lake Street.

Justin Grover, 26, of the 8300 block of South Ingleside Avenue died after being shot in the head in the 800 block of East 80th Street about 4 p.m. Sunday, authorities said.

Police were talking to a "person of interest" in the case but provided no further information.

Meanwhile, Chicago police said a 46-year-old man calmly shopped for food at the Aldi supermarket, 6621 S. Cottage Grove Ave., at 10 a.m. Sunday and was leaving when he walked up to the security guard and stuck a handgun in his face, police said. After a brief struggle, the security guard shot the man twice in his leg, police said.

Alfred Benson 45, of the 6100 block of South Dorchester Avenue was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. Benson was recovering in a hospital.

Tribune reporters Carlos Sadovi and Kim Janssen contributed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 5940.story