72-year-old woman fires shot at intruder

Published 1:04 PM EDT Oct 09, 2013

ANDERSON COUNTY, S.C. —
A 72-year-old Upstate woman says she shot at a man after he broke into her home and starting beating her friend.

This happened at 3 p.m. Monday at the home on Mays Street in Pendleton, said deputies.

Deputies said Richard Keese, 54, broke into the home and assaulted two women inside.

According to deputies, the homeowner shot at Keese with a handgun.
News 4's Mandy Gaither spoke with the homeowner, Frances Ward, on Tuesday.

Ward said she had hired Keese to fix her car last month. She said he forced his way into her home and her friend grabbed a bat that was sitting nearby to defend herself.

She said Keese grabbed the bat from her friend and started beating her with it. That is when Ward said she fired the shot.

"If he hadn't of been standing up, I would have hit him right here with the gun because I was aiming for his forehead to kill him, because he was beating the daylights out of her with that ball bat and I wasn't going to let that happen," Ward said.

Ward said the bullet grazed Keese head. Deputies say they are still investigating.

Ward's friend and Keese were taken to AnMed for treatment.

Ward said her friend has head, back and foot wounds and was released from the hospital Monday night.

Deputies said Keese was released Tuesday morning and is being held at the Anderson County Detention Center.

Keese is charged with burglary in the first degree and attempted murder and trespassing, according to deputies.

Deputies said the homeowner acted in self-defense.

http://www.wtae.com/news/acso-homeow...z/-/index.html