Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Abduction, rape claims hoax Girl admits making up false repo

Abduction, rape claims hoax

Girl admits making up false reports

Greenwood SC

May 4, 2007

By CHRIS TRAINOR
    Index-Journal staff writer

A 12-year-old Hispanic girl’s report to police Wednesday that she was kidnapped, raped and thrown out of a van by a black man was a hoax.
    Greenwood Police Department Det. Steve McGee confirmed the false report Thursday.
    “She fabricated the story,” McGee said. “She admitted that to us (Wednesday night).”
    McGee said the girl skipped school Wednesday to spend time with a male friend. He said the girl realized she would be in trouble for skipping school, so she made up the story involving rape, abduction and physical abuse to cover her tracks.
    “Her story changed several times while we were investigating,” McGee said. “We began to realize it might be a hoax. She later admitted to her mother that she lied.”
    The girl — a Westview Middle School student — spun a tale to authorities that said she was abducted by a “black man with glasses” at a school bus stop at the corner of Phoenix Street and Taggart Avenue before school Wednesday morning.
    The girl placed a call to 911 about 2:30 p.m. In 911 recordings obtained by The Index-Journal, the girl told the emergency operator the man “took me this morning” and said he had physically pushed her out of a white van at Greenwood County Library shortly before 2:30.
    The girl’s voice sounds broken and distressed on the recordings, as if she is crying. She placed the call to 911 from the lobby of Bank of America on Main Street in Uptown Greenwood.
    Bank of America employee Connie Robertson, however, said the girl did not appear distressed when she came in and asked to use the phone.
    “She walked up here and said ‘May I use the phone?’” Robertson said. “No excitement. She didn’t tell me anything. She never said anything to me.”
    The girl told police the man pushed her into a white van and drove her around all day. When police interviewed her, she said the man had touched her breast, but had not raped her.
    On the 9-1-1 call, however, the operator asked the girl whether her attacker had raped her and the girl emphatically replied “yes.”
    The girl described her imaginary attacker.
    “He was black, he had glasses on, he had a black sweater on and he was kind of old,” the girl said.
    The girl told the 911 operator the man had said he would kill her and her entire family if she told anybody about the incident.
    “He said if I told anybody I was with (him) I would get killed and the rest of my family,” the girl said. “He said to tell everybody I was at school.”
    When asked to describe the imaginary vehicle the non-existent suspect had pushed her out of, she said it was a white van. The operator asked if it had a dent on it, and the girl said it had a dent on the right side.
    She told the operator the black man drove off near “the churches” after pushing her out of the van. She apparently was referring to Main Street United Methodist Church, which is near the library.
    The girl told authorities her back was injured from where the man had pushed her out of the van. She was placed on a stretcher at Bank of America and taken to Self Regional — all for an injury she didn’t incur.
    Officers also said the girl showed them her arms where she said she was held and tied up all day long, but officers did not see any bruises or marks on her arms.
    The girl’s mother reported her missing around 1 p.m. Wednesday after discovering the girl had not reported to Westview. She called 911 again shortly after 2 p.m., saying she thought her daughter was at a residence on New Market Street. Police checked that home and did not find her.
    McGee said it is very rare to get a false report of this magnitude.
    “We don’t get many like this, involving abduction,” McGee said. “Any missing persons or abduction report is taken very seriously by this department. It is of the utmost importance that people be honest with the police.”
    No charges have been filed against the girl.

http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20070504a_n.html

Someone needs to be held accountable for this travesty Wonder where she got the idea to make up such an elaborate story