Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Al Hoffman Jr. a RINO donor, to support attack on 2nd Amendment

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    No 18 year old should be able to legally buy a gun by themselves.
    There is a difference between a gun used for target practice or hunting and one designed to kill a lot of people! Semi-automatics are certainly not for sport hunting. Where's the sport?

We have many tools for specific purposes, say explosives. Even if you are of age, you are only supposed to have them and use them for approved purpose. Semi-automatic and automatic weapons are generally reserved exclusively for military use, while you are on duty! So even though a child might go hunting, using a gun, other than pretending to be in the military, what would the purpose be in a child having a semi-automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    No 18 year old should be in the military handling guns or using them. No 18 year old should be voting in US elections, either. When an 18 year old by age is too young to buy a handgun or a beer, they are too young to vote and too young to serve in the US military.

18 year old Americans today are not the 18 year old Americans of years gone by.
    That's a different matter.

By the way, an AR-15 is not a mass shooting firearm any more than a handgun. VA Tech shooter used handguns.
    Note that you wrote "handguns", plural! Most handguns don't carry that many rounds. They also don't generally have the range to shoot effectively from a hotel room several stories up to a crowd many yards away.

Have you ever watched the movie Open Range? Check out what you can do with an old-fashioned pistol. The best gunfight scene ever at the end. It alone is worth every minute of it.
    Yes, in a Hollywood movie. I loved the sound they had. Many years ago, when James Garner was doing "Rockford Files" (I think), he got into an altercation with a motorist on LA's 405 Freeway. He got punched. In an interview, he said it was nothing like what is portrayed in the movies where two guys kept going back at each other. One punch was all it took for him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    You apparently are not familiar with our nation's history and how King George attempted to confiscate the fire arms of those he oppressed.
    That is the motivation for the Framers to not want the citizenry to be disarmed. Add to that the fact that the new U.S. had virtually no standing army to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwk
    You appear to have been taken in by yellow journalism and a Fifth Column movement, or maybe you are an active participant in that movement.
    So you're taken to name calling! That's progress over your response in the other forum where you could only come up with an Icon!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
    You don't find what I wrote "interesting". You are trying to create a distraction where none exists.
    By the way, an AR-15 is not a mass shooting firearm any more than a handgun.
    It appears that Judy is among those who differentiates the AR-15 as non-military!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwk
    TheAR 15 is very similar to the military M16, but it is semi-automatic while the M16 is fully automatic. The AR 15, as a practical matter is the civilian version of the M 16 minus the automatic feature.
    And the M-16 has "Select Fire" so it can be set to "semi-automatic" mode which makes it just like an AR-15!

Quote Originally Posted by jtdc View Post
    It doesn't say an arsenal!

But the purpose was for military (militia) use. At that time the U.S. had no standing military!
    No, it was for hunting and self-defense as well. The second amendment was to ensure no government authority could ever take away our individual liberty to use guns to feed and protect ourselves as well as to organize state militias to defend the states. 8 and 9 year olds fought in the war that founded this nation. So it's quite obvious what they said is what they meant, a right we need to this day. I have no interest in guns, but if there ever comes a day when I do, I want to walk out of my house, buy one and walk right back in with it, because THAT my friend is what my great-great-great-grandfather fought in that war to guarantee himself and his posterity.

And nothing has changed, not really, not at the end of the day. At least I don't see it.
    Last edited by Judy; 02-20-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by jtdc View Post
    It appears that Judy is among those who differentiates the AR-15 as non-military!

And the M-16 has "Select Fire" so it can be set to "semi-automatic" mode which makes it just like an AR-15!
    Murder is against the law and has been since our country was founded. If someone is willing to break that law, you don't think they're going to figure out how to break a gun law? Murderers are not protected by taking away the rights of everyone else, they are actually enabled by it. Cruz has other guns, 10 more they're trying to locate. It doesn't matter what type of gun or other weapon he used. He walzed right in free as a bird, because he was the only dude with a gun. The VA Tech shooter used 2 handguns, and killed 32 people, almost twice as many as Cruz did.

If you let them in, people are going to die. You have to keep them out. It's almost the same issue as illegal immigration. People don't want to face the reality of defense and boots on the ground, they want a white collar desk job solution to a physical, logistical problem, which of course never solves the problem. The only time you solve a problem like mass shootings and illegal immigration is boots on the ground with guns.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

No, it was for hunting and self-defense as well.
    Correct! It is not being armed to go to war with any country, including our own. Self defense doesn't require bombs and cannons, unless you are a terrorist!

The second amendment was to ensure no government authority could ever take away our individual liberty to use guns to feed and protect ourselves
    Yes, that is the proper use for guns. But unless you are attacked by an army, you shouldn't need high power automatic weapons.

as well as to organize state militias to defend the states.
    Today the weapons for state militia are usually stored in an armory.

8 and 9 year olds fought in the war that founded this nation.
    And in this thread you complained about 18 year-olds serving in our military. Times have changed, both to the necessity of children fighting in our wars and the need to be armed for immediate military service.

but if there ever comes a day when I do, I want to walk out of my house, buy one and walk right back in with it, because THAT my friend is what my great-great-great-great grandfather fought in that war to guarantee himself and his posterity.
    But that shouldn't be an M-16, bomb, anti-aircraft missle, or anything like that, including an AR-15.

And nothing has changed, not really, not at the end of the day. At least I don't see it.
    They fought using a variety of single shot guns and rifles. Repeaters like the Six Gun, and automatics like the Gatling Gun weren't around then. I don't think the Founders would have wanted everyone walking around with a Gatling Gun. I don't think your great-great-great-great grandfather would have wanted everyone armed like that if he were around today. The West used to have their gunfights in the city streets because every hothead had a gun strapped to his hip. Is that what you want?

Murder is against the law and has been since our country was founded.
    And long before that!

If someone is willing to break that law, you don't think they're going to figure out how to break a gun law?
    Yes! But if the availability is down, it will be harder for them to get one.

Murderers are not protected by taking away the rights of everyone else, they are actually enabled by it.
    I'm not for taking away everyone else's rights, or guns. I am for limiting what guns people can have.

Cruz has other guns, 10 more they're trying to locate.
    One was enough! From what I have seen, he, under most state's laws, should not have been able to buy even one. That is where that failure was. The system.

He walzed right in free as a bird, because he was the only dude with a gun. The VA Tech shooter used 2 handguns, and killed 32 people, almost twice as many as Cruz did.
    If the teachers had handguns with 6 or 8 round capacity, neither shooter would probably have been nearly that effective. It doesn't take and AR-15 to bring down a shooter with an AR-15. It just takes a good shot! See North Hollywood shootout -Wikipedia

So what is it you want? You want to ban guns and arms?? You think the Second Amendment is only there to guarantee your wife a little revolver in her purse? And that's after she goes through all the infringement of checks, history, suitability, interference, evaluations etc., etc., decided by the ..... FBI?

No thank you. I like the 2nd Amendment just the way it is. And to me gun control including background checks violate it. Gun control doesn't hurt killers, it hurts the people they kill.

MW
    Okay, guess I may as well weigh in on this. I'm in the camp that doesn't believe our civilian population needs to own weapons that hold 20 - 100 rounds of ammunition. No hunting weapon requires such a capacity.

Owning automatics is already illegal, so no comment necessary on that. As for semi-automatics. There are hunting situation, such as bird hunting (dove, duck, quail), where I prefer a semi-automatic shotgun. Of course some folks prefer the double-barrel or over/under shotguns for bird hunting. I have also used semi-automatic rifles to hunt deer, but I've never used one of the weapons that are classified as assault weapons. Personally, I prefer the bolt-action.

Some folks do use AR-15's for specific hunting situations. I personally know a guy that uses one in West Texas to kill hogs because he kills them in mass. They show up in groups of 20, 30 or more. and damage his crops, hay pastures, kill fawns, etc. The weapon carries the large ammunition capacity he desires to dispatch large numbers of hogs quickly (or so he tells me). However, that being said, I still don't think a semi-automatic weapon that holds 20 or more rounds should be made available to the average Joe. What other situation would a large ammo capacity weapon be used for? Well, so far they seem to be the weapon of choice for killing people.

No handgun I'm aware of holds more than 17 rounds (9mm with a large capacity double-stack magazine).

I'm pretty close to the line on this but guess I'll side with those that don't think the average citizen should own the large capacity assault rifles.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hope the NRA stays busy, busy, busy.
    Last edited by Judy; 02-20-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast