Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

American dream elusive for Africans

More than 40 million people in the United States are foreign-born, including many African immigrants, who often find the "American dream" souring as the reality of fending for themselves, and the families they left behind, dawns on them.

However, the US presidential candidates have remained silent on their intentions to reshape America's immigration policy.

Haru Mutasa highlights the plight of African immigrants in the US with this report from New York.

Fatime Ndiaye's plan was to come to the US, get her paperwork in order and find work.

It took years to finally get her documents - but many other Africans are still waiting.

After the September 11 attacks in 2001, immigration officials got tougher on people applying for US citizenship.

"Finding a job before was a little easy but, if you don't have the right paperwork again, it becomes more difficult these days," says Fatime.

Under the radar

Once immigrants enter the United States it's fairly easy to stay under the radar.

Unlike some European countries, US officials do not always check identity documents.

But that does not mean life is easy living as an illegal immigrant.

Because many of them are supporting families back home, they are unable leave.

The assumption is they are taking jobs away from Americans but Alpha Kassogue, originally from Mali who has lived in the US for 20 years, says this is simply not true.

"I was cleaning the kitchen after restaurant hours," says Alpha. "I was cleaning the kitchen from 10 to two in the morning for $4-an-hour. An American will not do this job for $4-an-hour."

There are an estimated 500,000 African-born immigrants living in New York City, and Africans living in the US hope the next administration will make things easier.

Adjusting to a new country is not easy for some of them so they regularly organise music festivals to meet other Africans, share their stories and reminisce about life back home.

Hoping for safety

In depth

And back home in Africa, many more still try their luck.

Even though Jemima, who lives in Kenya, has been denied a US visa twice, she will not give up.

She wants to study in the US but immigration officials do not believe her. They suspect once she gets into America she will not go back to Kenya.

"Right now, Kenyans are really having it hard to get a US visa," she says, visibly frustrated.

"Even students who genuinely have papers - they have their admission letters and everything - they go there and they are turned down. Why?"

But some Africans simply want somewhere safe to live, away from civil wars and poverty in other parts of the continent.

Compared to the huge number of Latin Americans applying for citizenship, Africans are in the minority.

But many wonder if their concerns will even matter to the next administration.

They also wonder if this country of immigrants can afford to take more people in, given the economic crisis it is currently struggling with.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/ameri ... 73256.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is this an article Betsy Ross?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, and now I can't find the link. If I can't find it in 10 minutes, I'll remove it.

Found it and corrected the post.

Re: American dream elusive for Africans

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss

The assumption is they are taking jobs away from Americans but Alpha Kassogue, originally from Mali who has lived in the US for 20 years, says this is simply not true.

"I was cleaning the kitchen after restaurant hours," says Alpha. "I was cleaning the kitchen from 10 to two in the morning for $4-an-hour. An American will not do this job for $4-an-hour."

Not true? The fact that this restaurant is paying him under minimum wage means he is taking a job from someone they legally have to pay minimum wage, social security and unemployment insurance for. There is a reason why Americans won't work for $4 an hour.....minimum wage is $6.55.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

What I find interesting about this article is that in my area and elsewhere there is a growing contingent of Africans. I don't mean Black people, I mean people who were born and raised in Africa, and I was wondering how on earth they managed to get here, get jobs, etc. I knew that there were some limited programs for resettling 'lost boys' but that didn't explain what I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss

Not true? The fact that this restaurant is paying him under minimum wage means he is taking a job from someone they legally have to pay minimum wage, social security and unemployment insurance for. There is a reason why Americans won't work for $4 an hour.....minimum wage is $6.55.

You took the words out of my mouth. I do feel for some of the Africans who are really trying to escape the turmoil, unlike the hispanics that just use it as an excuse. Just look at Darfur and other places in Africa where you have to fear for your life daily. But it is still no excuse to try to fly under the radar by being here illegally. Especially at $4 an hour!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

More than 40 million people in the United States are foreign-born, including many African immigrants, who often find the "American dream" souring as the reality of fending for themselves, and the families they left behind, dawns on them.

However, the US presidential candidates have remained silent on their intentions to reshape America's immigration policy.
    The Presidential candidates are not silent on immigration, you just have to watch Spanish TV to hear it. You don't understand Spanish? Well Obama says you better learn.

I would love to see a redefinition of the "American Dream." Illegals should go home and do their best to build their countries, as Americans have been doing for generations. There can be alot of American dreams taking place, but not necessarily in America.

I would say the only point I gained from this illegal immigration mess is there isn't much oppertunity for the really poor to get here legally. You would think there was a percentage allowed to be able to get here. Not as a dumping ground for the worlds poor but a chance for few.

I know I got sick and tired and hearing about the Mexicans and how poor they are and how harrowing thier trip, when there are people in other nations suffering worse. Simply being closer shouldn't give them any more "right" to get in than someone else. It would also help balance the inflow so it wasn't just a wave from on particular area to have what's happening now. You can bet if Latinos were in control, you'd see those borders sealed off if we got an influx of boat people from Africa with the same stories, begging for compassion and all as well. Just like now.....they don't care about illegals from anywhere else but Mexico.....that's when I knew their demands for compassion and understanding were just a one way street to gain majority status and not concern for people in general wanting a better life. The bi-lingual education was not out of concern for all immigrants, but a way to shove Spanish down everyones throat. Not only an additional burden for citizens but for new legal immigrants from other places as well. Now instead of 1 language to learn, there's 2 to get a job. While they make no effort in their communities or businesses to "cater" to rest of the people out here trying to survive as well.....not even citizens.

I wondered how they could allow so many illegals to come here from Mexico but basically turn a blind eye to Africa and even Poland when genocide is going on. None of this has made much sense.