Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Americans Still Won't Trade Deductions for Lower Taxes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie View Post
    Actually, I don't have that much faith in our legislators - especially if you drop the prebate. This is the carrot they are using to get those on welfare, those who never pay taxes, to support them.

I really think it's time someone tells people that everyone should pay some taxes.
    It has nothing to do with welfare. It's the same thing as the personal and dependent deduction on income tax. When you claim the personal and dependent deductions on your income tax return, does that mean you're on welfare? It's the same thing. According to the Rasmussen Poll I posted for this thread, Americans still want their deductions, they still want their mortgage interest "welfare". They would rather have their "tax welfare" than lower tax rates.

Under the income tax, no one pays income taxes unless you have income above the sum of the personal and dependent deductions, earned income tax credit, child care tax credit and mortgage interest deduction. So .... put that group with the group that has no income at all because they're out of the work force and you're a long, long, long way from "everyone should pay some taxes". In 2012, 47% of our population paid no income tax at all, it's probably higher now.

Based on this poll I posted, it appears Americans will want their Rebate under the FairTax, because they don't want to pay federal tax on what they believe are their essentials, even if it would mean lower tax rates and less tax for them overall. It's like they can't do the math in their heads while on the phone with a pollster.

I love the FairTax, the economists who came up with it were brilliant, they thought of everything. The 10 economists spent 3 years doing the work on it, and they did a really good job. I can't find one thing wrong with it so far. I'd prefer a lower tax rate than the Rebate, but I understand why they have the Rebate, and that's because most of the population prefers it.

By the way, the government didn't have anything to do with the FairTax. It was developed by private business people.

Anyway, I think for this year, they're going to tweak the income tax again and I hope that works out because if they do what Trump is asking for, our companys will start expanding again and many many of those companies with operations overseas will start bringing them home in the matter of a few months. When yo see what happens by dropping this corporate and business rate to 15%, just imagine what it would be like under the FairTax, where their rate is 0%. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Excerpt:

How Much is my "Prebate"?
    Probably the saddest part of this scam called the is the prebate. The Tax plan supporters claim it doesn't tax the necessities of life so everyone gets a prebate check in the mail each month supposedly to cover the tax on life's necessities (just the tax). What they don't tell you up front is that the maximum prebate per person is only $187 per month and they are only refunding the "" tax a person at the poverty level would pay. No real tax exemptions. So FairTax prebate = the fairtax a person at the poverty level would pay or $187 a month. Since they are only refunding the minimum a person in poverty would get, then the middle class loses big time. But wait a minute! I'm not at the poverty level...so where's my tax rebate on my necessities that I actually purchased? Answer: You lose it all except $187 under the FairTax.

The poverty level is ridiculously low and has no basis in reality. Real necessities per month = food + clothes + rent + heat + electricity + gas + healthcare. For a single person living in the ghetto and eating the cheapest foods imaginable and wearing used clothes and the minimum on everything else stacks up like this: Necessities per month = $400 + $80 + $600 + $100 + $50 + $150 + $200 = $1580 minimum per month for basic life support. At a rate of 30 percent that means our true poverty level prebate should be $475 a month to cover the taxes on minimum necessities. It reality it should be as high as $1500 per month for a middle class family to truly cover the minimum costs (not just the tax) of living at the poverty level.

But oops, there's even more bad news, if the FairTax is passed, all those prices (food + clothes + rent + heat + electricity + gas + healthcare) go up by 30 percent. This means the true cost is this (adjusted up 30 percent): Necessities per month = $520 + $104 + $780 + $130 + $65 + $190 + $260 = $2054 minimum per month for basic life support. At a rate of 30 percent that means our true poverty level prebate (With FairTax) should be $617 a month to cover the taxes on minimum necessities. It reality it should be as high as $1950 per month for a middle class family to truly cover the minimum costs (not just the tax) of living at the poverty level.

It really amused us to read the comments in one of the FairTax forums on the web. When asked why the real necessities aren't covered by the FairTax prebate instead of the poverty level FairTax prebate of $187, the supporters said that only gluttons would eat that much food or spend so much on necessities and that the poverty level was totally reasonable. Give me a break.

Because the FairTax gives back billions to the wealthy one would think that the poor and middle classes would get something in return. Not so. The big money conservatives that promote the FairTax deceptively advertise that it will not tax necessities of life. This is a lie. The necessities of a middle class person are much higher than the $187 figure for just the poverty level taxes they pulled out of a hat. Alternatively, the progressive No-Tax Plan makes food, rent, heat, electricity, gas, education, and healthcare tax free to all working people - please check it out.

Shouldn't food, clothes, rent, and healthcare be tax-free? Not according to the FairTax. If fact, the excuse used in the FairTax Book for not making food tax-free is that it would benefit the wealthy disproportionately. Give us a break. Who do they think they are fooling? You would have to be an uneducated moron to believe that. The provides no exemptions, just a paltry $187 to cover a poverty-stricken persons tax on necessities. The wealthy get back billions under the FairTax. The poor, the middle class AND the wealthy get a tiny monthly prebate check. It doesn't sound FAIR to me.

http://www.fairtaxfraud.com/fallout.asp
    If you eliminate the income tax, what happens to prices? Do they go up or do they go down?

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

First off, I think the prebate is not so much about people as it is about control. This is what bothers me.

I think they are selling this to people as it not being fair to be taxed for essentials, because a large segment of our population pays no income tax already. So, you can buy their vote by assuring them they are going to be getting a check each and every month.

Everybody has some kind of income, just not everybody pays taxes.

Also, knowing the government as I do,I'm sure there will be an increase in the cost of living for welfare recipients to cover any taxes they might pay on purchases.

So, this has covered the base, and it is a real voting base, of the people who depend on welfare for a living. You have them sewed up tight.

But I believe the real reason is to keep tabs and strings on the American people, and increase the bureaucracy. Each and every month, each and every household will request a refund. That requires a large bureaucracy. Then each and every month they will receive a check. That requires a large bureaucracy.

So each and every American is going to have to be in touch with the government and they will have a month to month information as to where you live.

That just sounds pretty bad to me - and just totally unnecessary.

Why not just make exemptions on certain things. It's simple. Yes, the rich will enjoy more money from the exemptions, but they will also pay more than the poor on other things.

Just put the tax out there, exempt certain necessities - and get rid of the IRS and all that glut of government employees and have a very small bureaucracy to process the permits and the returns from the collectors of taxes.

It is so simple - let's don't make it complicated.

But - it won't happen for that reason.

So each and every American is going to have to be in touch with the government and they will have a month to month information as to where you live.

That just sounds pretty bad to me - and just totally unnecessary.
    No, that isn't how it works. If you want the Rebate, you apply to Social Security Administration, they handle everything. You apply as a Household, not as individuals. The form requires name, location of household, age of person, social security number for each person that SSA gave them to begin with. SSA verifies, and then uses the statutory formula for number of adults in household and number of children in household, this matters because it's 1 amount for adults and another for children. You do that once, then notify them of changes, and the payments are made accordingly. SSA tracks the ages and knows when the kids come off. SSA tracks death certificates and knows when someone dies and comes off. They verify citizenship or legal documentation if immigrant and legal resident. They track the numbers so no one is counted or paid twice. They track visas and take them off when the visa expires. And that's it.

It's really very simple. Government doesn't send checks, SSA sends them and most people today receiving money from SSA use direct deposit or smart cards.

There is no monthly contact, each year, you may have to refresh your household account to make any changes needed, if not, then you just click no changes or make whatever changes have occurred, but that will be done on-line for most.

I didn't realize it wouldn't be requested each month, BUT it will be checks each month. I realize they don't 'cut' many checks anymore, but it is book work.

The worst part is the fact Americans will become dependent or those checks - it is just the way it is.

Also, the fact that it is part of SS is just wrong. There are enough things 'administered' out of SS as it is -

I do appreciate the information.

It didn't change my mind, people getting money from the government each month, just doesn't sit right and to do it through SS shouldn't happen.

As far as SS knowing about deaths - don't count on it.

I knew a young man who died at age 16. His parents got a very threatening letter when he reached 21 because he hadn't yet registered for Selective Service.

I didn't realize it wouldn't be requested each month, BUT it will be checks each month. I realize they don't 'cut' many checks anymore, but it is book work.

The worst part is the fact Americans will become dependent or those checks - it is just the way it is.

Also, the fact that it is part of SS is just wrong. There are enough things 'administered' out of SS as it is -

I do appreciate the information.

It didn't change my mind, people getting money from the government each month, just doesn't sit right and to do it through SS shouldn't happen.

As far as SS knowing about deaths - don't count on it.

I knew a young man who died at age 16. His parents got a very threatening letter when he reached 21 because he hadn't yet registered for Selective Service.
    It's not book work once it's set up unless there are changes. And don't forget, this is the Social Security Administration that is today doing all that "book work" on payroll taxes every month. The payroll taxes are eliminated, so there's a lot less of that. Your earnings are still reported to accrue your benefits for when you retire, but there's no more processing of individual worker's and employer's payroll taxes. Imagine all those savings in bureaucracy and book work because the FairTax eliminates all that. Instead, they handle the Rebate, one Household payment a month, for whoever signs up for it that covers numerous people, instead of all those worker and employer tax calculations, verification and entries for the tax payments now required per worker. And that's all done now by hand with forms filled out by employers and deposits made by employers to the banks to transmit to SSA. Oh it substantially reduces the work of the SSA. The rebates are easy peasy stuff compared to all that.

No SS taxes?

No SS taxes?
    CORRECT!!! The FairTax REPEALS ALL INCOME-BASED TAXES. Corporate, personal, payroll (SS and Medicare), dividend, interest, gift, inheritance, and capital gains taxes. It does not repeal excise taxes, gas taxes, tariffs, customs, duties and so forth. But ALL INCOME TAXES covered by the IRS and the Internal Revenue Code including payroll taxes, both employer and employee are repealed by the FairTax. That's why the rate of 23% consists of actually 2 retail sales taxes: 8.09% earmarked for Social Security Administration for Social Security Benefits and Medicare, and then 14.91% to fund General Revenue that funds our government. The total adds up to 23%.

So when people do their math, they need to realize they aren't just saving personal income tax, they are also saving payroll taxes as well, same with the employers.

For a household that earns the average household income in the US which is a little over $50,000 a year, they save around $4,000 a year in savings just on their 7.65% payroll tax withholding, they save their personal individual income tax which is probably around $8,000 and still qualify for the Rebate to pay their FairTaxes on essentials up to the Household Consumption Allowance.

So they save $12,000 or so on withholding taxes plus if they're a citizen or legal resident, and sign up for the Rebate, they'll receive $210 per adult and about $70 per child. So a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids), their rebate would be 210 x 2 or $420 plus 70 x 2 or $140 for a total of $560 per month which is the 23% of the Household Consumption Allowance for a couple with 2 kids, which is about the same as what they would have claimed in personal and dependent deductions on their income tax return. $560 x 12 = $6,720 a year.

So I would like for someone to explain to me how putting a total of $19,000 a year into the pockets of our middle class is killing our middle class, which is what the Anti-FairTax Lobby claims??!!! How is that possible? It isn't. It's a huge lie.

Everyone benefits from the FairTax. Poor, working poor, middle class, upper middle class, upper class, wealthy, young, middle-aged, seniors, companies, employers, big corporations, small companies, entrepreneurs, manufacturers, retailers, Social Security and Medicare which is robustly funded by the FairTax, everyone benefits.

MW
    No SS taxes?
    What Happened to My Social Security?

The plan calls for people to stop paying social security - both the employees and employers share. That's it...just stop paying it. Just take it out of the general fund. No plan for social security survival. No plan at all...just stop paying social security and Medicare and it will all magically sort itself out. Except that the plan cuts the estate tax, gift tax, and capital gains taxes to the tune of $700 billion a year so the treasury will suffer a major major major shortage of funds. Where will the money come from?

Take the money out of the general fund? Hold on there. That's not accurate. No matter what they say, taxes will go up or benefits will go down. You can't just take $700 billion out of the budget, give it to the wealthy, and expect this so-called "revenue neutral" plan to run everything like it is today on what is left over. Benefits will have to be cut. After all, we only have a limited budget and do have defense contractors to feed - why should we look out for "special interests" like the elderly?

Does that scare you? It should. This will hurt your parents, your grandparents, and eventually you. In order to make social security work we need more funds, not less. We need to make the rich pay social security tax on all income - not just up to the cut off point. We need to keep the social security money out of the control of the President and Congress.

What about your retirement savings? Under the FairTax plan if you have existing money it is taxed twice - once long ago when you earned it and saved it in the bank and once when you spend it under the new FairTax. Got money in a Roth IRA? As soon as you buy something with that money you will pay the 30% FairTax tax. There is no provision for people who already have lots of money in retirement savings and in Roth IRA's - they are simply taxed twice. The elderly will be hit the worst. What's really sad is that health insurance for the elderly is hugely expensive because the elderly need more care - and because medical expenses, surgery, and prescription drugs are 30 percent taxable under the FairTax plan, those few dollars the elderly put away will soon vanish into thin air. The No-Tax plan is an alternative elderly-friendly plan that puts the taxes where they belong - back on the wealthy.

http://www.fairtaxfraud.com/fallout.asp

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The plan calls for people to stop paying social security - both the employees and employers share. That's it...just stop paying it. Just take it out of the general fund. No plan for social security survival. No plan at all...just stop paying social security and Medicare and it will all magically sort itself out.
    No, that isn't right. It doesn't come out of "General Fund".

The FairTax rate of 23% is the sum of two taxes: 1. 8.09% Social Security and Medicare tax and 2. 14.91% General Revenue Tax to fund the government. If you add the two statutory taxes together, 8.09 plus 14.91, that's the combined total FairTax rate of 23%. The 8.09% Social Security and Medicare Tax is earmarked by the statute for SSA to fund the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds. This is all outlined and clearly detailed in the FairTax Act legislation for anyone who wants to read it. Just look up HR 25 at the US House of Representatives website.

What about your retirement savings? Under the FairTax plan if you have existing money it is taxed twice - once long ago when you earned it and saved it in the bank and once when you spend it under the new FairTax. Got money in a Roth IRA? As soon as you buy something with that money you will pay the 30% FairTax tax. There is no provision for people who already have lots of money in retirement savings and in Roth IRA's - they are simply taxed twice.
    People who invested in regular IRA's received a tax deduction and did not pay income tax on those.

The Roth IRA is not tax deductible, but the earnings grow and accrue so long as you don't violate the rules, tax-free. So you didn't pay income tax all those years on your earnings. Now when you draw it out and if you spend it on new goods and services, then yes, those purchases will be subject to the FairTax. But you aren't paying twice. The prices you pay are the same as you would pay with the income tax system. So you get away with never having paid income tax on your earnings, you can sign up for a Rebate if you want for the FairTax on your essentials, so you walk away like bandits.

The FairTax is extremely favorable to retirees. It not only robustly funds Social Security and Medicare, you walk away never having paid income tax on your tax-deferred earnings, and get a Rebate to pay FairTax on your essentials. Plus if you use it to help your family, their is no gift tax, no inheritance tax if you die for anyone to pay, plus if you invest it in a beach condo or a cabin on the lake or a place in a retirement village, so long as you're not the first person to live in it, you don't even pay FairTax on that, because it's not a new good, it's a used home. Same with cars, RV's, and a host of other things retirees like to spend on.

Trying to scare older people with fake news and false information to try to rally opposition to a FairTax that will benefit everyone including them is really a low way to go.
    Last edited by Judy; 04-19-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast