Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush says criticism doesn't bother him

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 069539.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 10, 2006

Bush says criticism doesn't bother him

BY RON HUTCHESON
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Slumping in the polls and battered by Congress, President Bush shrugged off his critics on Friday and said he's unfazed by complaints about his leadership.

"I know some would like me to change, but you can't be a good decision-maker if you're trying to please people," he told a group of newspaper executives. "I understand some of the things I've done are unpopular, but that's what comes with the territory."

Bush offered an impassioned response to his critics amid new questions about his effectiveness. The bipartisan revolt over his plan to let a Dubai company manage American port terminals, his dismal poll standings and Republican anxiety over the November elections have led some to conclude that the president is rapidly losing clout.

"They're in trouble," said Stephen Hess, a presidential scholar at the Brookings Institution, a center-left think tank. "He's going to continue to have some victories, but they're going to be harder and harder to get."

Congress' rejection of the Dubai deal was the latest in a string of second-term setbacks for Bush. His plan to overhaul Social Security flopped. The government's response to Hurricane Katrina led to a torrent of criticism. Conservatives blocked his attempt to put Harriet Miers on the Supreme Court. Opinion polls indicate that most Americans have turned against the war in Iraq.

The Dubai flap stood out from Bush's earlier bumps because it was the first time that congressional Republicans turned against the president as a group. Lawmakers rose up against the administration's plan to let Dubai Ports World, a company in the United Arab Emirates, operate six major U.S. port terminals.

"Now that they've tasted blood, so to speak, they'll be less reluctant to do it again if and when the opportunity arises," said Bruce Buchanan, a political science professor at the University of Texas. "Bush's vulnerability has been shown. Up until now, on almost every issue, he'd say, `Jump,' and they'd say, `How high?'"

Republican loyalty to the president may be tested again as Congress takes up plans to overhaul immigration laws. Lawmakers feeling pressure to get tough on immigrants have little interest in Bush's proposal for a new guest worker program.

The president's poll standing doesn't help him on Capitol Hill. After soaring to a record 90 percent approval rating shortly after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Bush has been mired in the high 30s to low 40s for weeks.

A new AP-IPSOS poll on Friday put his job-approval rating at 37 percent, matching his low point; 67 percent said the country is on the "wrong track." The poll of 1,000 adults was taken March 6-8 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

That's disturbing news for congressional Republicans who've worried about the November elections.

"It's hard for me to see how he gets back up into a positive rating in the opinion polls," Buchanan said. "Congress has got no stomach for much of the agenda that he has."

The Senate Budget Committee on Thursday dumped Bush's proposals to expand tax-free health savings accounts and to cut spending more on Medicare.

Bush signaled in his remarks to the newspaper executives that he's ready to put the Dubai dispute behind him. But he insisted again that the deal wouldn't have threatened port security. He also expressed concern that killing the deal insulted an ally in the war on terrorism.

"I'm concerned about a broader message this issue could send to our friends and allies around the world, particularly in the Middle East," he told members of the National Newspaper Association. "In order to win the war on terror, we have got to strengthen our relationships and friendships with moderate Arab countries."

Bush became more animated when asked about his critics - especially his reaction to a teacher in Colorado who was fired after suggesting that Bush shares traits with Adolf Hitler.

"I think people should be allowed to criticize me all they want. ... After a while, you get used to it. But you have to believe in what you're doing," Bush said. "You can't let the public opinion polls and focus groups ... cause you to abandon what you believe."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bush said. "You can't let the public opinion polls and focus groups ... cause you to abandon what you believe."
    Please don't be surprised if you change your mind on that view in the coming weeks, MISTER Semi-President.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I know some would like me to change, but you can't be a good decision-maker if you're trying to please people
    You know, George, just because you see yourself as a good decision maker does not mean that you make good decisions.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Excellent point, CountFloyd.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)