Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalododger
    Consider the source of information and do not be so hard on yourself.
    There is always a food shortage some where on earth but I seriously doubt we are going to see it here.

I doubt well will see any new stores opened in EBay auctioning off single grains of corn anytime in the near future.

Wind is great if they can just figure out how to make the towers and blades less deadly to our bird populations. Some of the worlds largest and most efficient wind generators are currently being mass produced just down the road from me and being installed so close I can see them from my front porch.

Even though my states is selling the results of those towers to other states and does not need the extra energy I view it as good for the U.S .

Bio fuel is ok if they can get the production costs down to the point where the end product uses less energy to make then it supplies in the finished product. Hydro power is nice for bio production because it does not depend on non- renewable energy .

I live in an area that has the cheapest electrical power in the U.S for local customers. If we had to produce bio's utilizing coal burners or oil then the bio's would be a vast waste of time and money to make.

As far as how well does bio fuel work , one only needs go to a local auto race track to see it in action. Works well with the right tooling.

bio to produce bio the anwser, I think ,
    it is like any thing else new,and unknown time will tell. sure the big oil guys are going to fall andhard theywill but maybe its time someone else gets rich for a while.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imblest
    Okay, okay, I get it! Food shortage is on the way!

That doesn't make ethanol a BAD source of energy as the original article was making it out to be. The chemical qualities of ethanol don't change.

I liked the idea about wind-driven energy for local transportation usage, but they're going to have to make those little electric cars cheaper! A little bigger would be nice too. And I still think we need to be energy independent as a nation, so that we're not beholden to other nations. That will require more sources of renewable energy, and more oil drilling in places where they are reluctant to drill now.
    In my opinion America has the resorces to stand up now but Washington (BIG OIL) doesnt want to let that cat out till it has to.
    I love this topic I hope it sticks around for a while .
    I just thought about how much food my wife canned last year and it wasnt a grand year but ok
    We are still eating on it now. Id be willing to plant more if It ment It would help some one else out.
    I had a time in my life when we never bought from the store . But that was Grandma ways I hope to get back to those times .

Banned
    Watch this summer and in to the fall keep An eye on it and see if you can make any money at it
    then try next year it .

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/page/0,3181,1213,00.html

When I was growing up in one of America's early modern suburbs, we were taught that farmers did foolish things, like causing the dustbowl. We were taught about contour planning and windbreaks as if these things and many others would never occur to a farmer. I suppose this was to prepare us for globalism, the end of grass roots, bedrock America.

But then both I, and later my daughter, chose to pursue college in small rural towns surrounded by farming. I was in northeastern Illinois and she went to central Kansas. We learned about the real America, which is not found in the glass corporate towers or the shiny malls. It's amazing what our wonderful land will do for the farm people who love it.

When IT as a career got hit so bad in the early years of this century, I was urging my displaced colleagues to consider getting away from the big cities, and look to the smaller cities and towns. A surprising number of IT jobs can be found there (local government, branches of business, school districts and colleges). Many of them rejected the idea in disgust, even though there are so many areas left in America where housing is affordable and the quality of life for families is very high.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    You know Guys I got to say even with all the problems and all the crap we put up from our Good Goverment, we still live in the best country in the world. I will fight to the death to protect her.

I'm looking at my yard, and trying to decide how to maximize food production from it, just in case. I have a large, weirdly shaped side yard that could hold fruit and/or nut trees. I definitely need to prepare for a much larger garden next year.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN

As sure a the sun sets in the west corn is going to grow and get cheaper so will milk I have a few articles I will post on Monday to show you excitedly how I know these things

Relax ohflyingone its all not as the man says
    You will have to prove that to me as NOTHING in the food chain is getting cheaper.

Yes, I am a conspiracy nutjob - I think the government would like nothing better than to find a way to keep people from growing their own food. Of course, this would be at the behest of big seed producers.

So the individual couldn't get corn seed because it is deemed to be needed for ethanol in the 'nation's best interest'? Think that's not possible?

Big companies are trying, and succeeding in some places, to get patents on indigenous plants of the world.

Read about what this war might have done to the Iraqis centuries old system of wheat development.

Anyone who doesn't think that the plan to keep people from being self-sufficient is in the works - needs to think again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie

As sure a the sun sets in the west corn is going to grow and get cheaper so will milk I have a few articles I will post on Monday to show you excitedly how I know these things

Relax ohflyingone its all not as the man says
    You will have to prove that to me as NOTHING in the food chain is getting cheaper.

Yes, I am a conspiracy nutjob - I think the government would like nothing better than to find a way to keep people from growing their own food. Of course, this would be at the behest of big seed producers.

So the individual couldn't get corn seed because it is deemed to be needed for ethanol in the 'nation's best interest'? Think that's not possible?

Big companies are trying, and succeeding in some places, to get patents on indigenous plants of the world.

Read about what this war might have done to the Iraqis centuries old system of wheat development.

Anyone who doesn't think that the plan to keep people from being self-sufficient is in the works - needs to think again.
    Mortgaging a future crop is saddling a wobbly colt.

Mortgaging a future crop is saddling a wobbly colt.
    I agree -

Have you read anything about the very scary things Monsanto and others have done regarding patenting of plants around the world? In India, they registered a patent on basmahti rice, tumeric, even some plant Hindus plant in pots beside their homes for religious reasons - centuries old. An organization took them to court and got some of the patents released, but many still remain.

Irag had many varieties of wheat they had developed over centuries and this war and the big seed companies bringing in their seed, could very well destroy that wheat culture. They don't want some Iraqi farmer to have a strain of wheat that is naturally pest resistant or drought resistant. It would cut into a big part of their market.

When you couple that with the fact that GMO's may very well wipe out any non-GMO strains by pollination.

I believe I read that IRaqi law did not allow for patenting biological things - so since they couldn't patent IRaqi's wheat - they are going to destroy it.

Banned
    No I read much on the wheat thing
    would you have time to hunt some more info up ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast