Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

Cab drivers ordered to take English tests

Cab drivers ordered to take English tests so passengers 'won't feel they're in another country'

Last updated at 17:07pm on 15th February 2008

Comments (2)

Trainee cabbies in Manchester who fail the language exam will not be allowed to take the standard 'Knowledge' test
    Town hall bosses are to force all would-be taxi drivers to pass an English language test before they can start working.

Tests for spoken English, comprehension and numeracy are to be introduced for anyone who applies for a licence in Manchester.

More than half of the city's 3,000 black cab and private hire drivers do not have English as a first language.

New applicants will have to prove they can respond appropriately to commonly-used expressions like "Can you drop me after the lights?" and "Can I have a receipt?"

They will also have to speak clearly on topics including recent journeys they have taken and their favourite places in England.

Manchester City Council has indicated that the oral exams will be in the form of a "relaxed conversation" with follow-up questions to prevent learning "parrot-fashion".

Candidates would be given multiple-choice maths questions, such as how much change should be given from a £20 note if the fare cost £9.30.

Those who fail the test will not be allowed to take the standard "Knowledge" test, which assesses their ability to use an A-Z as well as their understanding of routes.

The move, set to be approved as a 12-month pilot, will be paid for by adding £10 to the fee for applying for a new licence.

Groups representing drivers of black cabs welcomed the scheme, admitting that members of the public had expressed concern about the standard of English of some drivers.

George Simms, of the Taxi Owners and Drivers Association, said: "People need to know drivers can be understood and make themselves clear. Probably the majority of taxi drivers now are from communities that do not have English as a first language."

Any candidate who failed would be helped in improving language or number skills.

Existing drivers of black cabs and private-hire drivers will not be forced to take the exams.

It currently costs £155 to apply for a black cab licence and £207 for a minicab plate.

A council spokesman said: "Taxi drivers are ambassadors for Manchester. The vast majority do an excellent job but we are considering the introduction of a basic skills assessment for new applicants as part of our focus on improving the experience of taxi customers."

Dave Evans, Manchester hackney carriage branch secretary for the TGU/Unite union, said: "There have been some issues around communication between drivers and passengers.

"We need to look at how to put that right. We told the council we would only support this if support systems were in place, and my understanding is that they are."

Any candidate who failed would be given advice and help in improving their language or number skills.

Existing black cab and private-hire drivers will not be forced to take the exams, and the £10 surcharge will only apply to new licence applications.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

GREAT!

Went to D.C. in October and every cab driver was a foreigner. We had to spell our destination to him and he kept messing up and starting all over again on his Tom Tom GPS. Very frustrating. It was like going to a foreign country. I want my country back !!!

I would never take my grandchildren there. It's filfy with trash thrown everywhere. Dupont Circle looked like the city dump.

Went to D.C. in October and every cab driver was a foreigner. We had to spell our destination to him and he kept messing up and starting all over again on his Tom Tom GPS. Very frustrating. It was like going to a foreign country. I want my country back !!!

I would never take my grandchildren there. It's filfy with trash thrown everywhere. Dupont Circle looked like the city dump.
    Indeed, DC like most metropolitan areas has its bad scenes, but DC does have some beautiful spots also, especially the memorials.

This article is about Manchester England.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And I would like to point out that, in England, "black" refers to the official color of the taxi cabs themselves, not to their drivers.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)