Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Canada puts US on 'torture list'

Slightly off topic, but I think this is important. I looked to see if anyone else posted it and did not find it. If I am wrong, you know what to do MODS.

The United States has been listed as a country where prisoners are at risk of torture in a training document produced by the Canadian foreign ministry.

It also classifies some US interrogation techniques as torture.

The manual - part of a training course on torture awareness for diplomats - also includes Israel, China, Iran and Afghanistan on its watch list.

A government spokesman said the manual did not reflect the views of Canada, which is an ally of the US and Israel.

"The training manual is not a policy document and does not reflect the views or policies of this government," said a spokesman for Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier.

The manual lists US interrogation techniques such as forced nudity, isolation, sleep deprivation and the blindfolding of prisoners under "definition of torture".

It also refers to the US detention camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba where a Canadian man is being held. Critics say it ridicules Ottawa's claims that Omar Khadr is not being mistreated.

There was no immediate response from either the US or Israel.

Exonerated

The document was provided to Amnesty International as part of a court case it is bringing against the Canadian government over the treatment of detainees in Afghanistan.

Canada has come under growing criticism following allegations that detainees were tortured in Afghanistan after its soldiers transferred suspects to Afghan security forces.

Amnesty is calling for stopping all transfers of prisoners to the Afghan authorities.

The torture awareness course was introduced after Ottawa was strongly criticised for its handling of the case of a Canadian who was deported from the US to Syria in 2002.

Syrian-born Maher Arar - who was accused of being an al-Qaeda member - says he was tortured during his 10 months in a Damascus jail - a claim strongly denied by Syria.

A Canadian government inquiry exonerated Mr Arar of any links with terrorist groups. It also showed that Canadian diplomats had not had any formal training on how to detect whether detainees had been abused.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7195276.stm
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

For a country with no army, and a very convenient location, they sure seem to know how to complain.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

This comes from a country that took in all of our dope smoking traitors, deserters and draft dodgers during the Viet Nam war?
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    thats not the point.... We water board and that is torture....

I want Bush / Chaney standing in front of an international court, hand cuffed as the trials progress

OH... I am a conservative Republican... If you think I am pissed Off maybe you should see what the liberals are saying
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I want Bush / Chaney standing in front of an international court, hand cuffed as the trials progress
    I would settle for that, but I would rather see them in front of a US court on treason charges.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bush and Cheney need to be tried for betraying their OWN people FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    thats not the point.... We water board and that is torture....

OH... I am a conservative Republican... If you think I am pissed Off maybe you should see what the liberals are saying
    They didn't have much to say when Islamic Iraqis were chopping heads off of innocent civilian infidels though did they?

What the Canadians need is their OWN 9-11 or 7-7, that'll wake them up.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    For a country with no army, and a very convenient location, they sure seem to know how to complain.
    They have an Army

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/6_1.asp
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

They didn't have much to say when Islamic Iraqis were chopping heads off of innocent civilian infidels though did they?
    Good point.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So if California goes under can I go to Canada and apply for political refugee status?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast