Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Cash-Starved Americans Shoplifting To Survive

Shoppers strapped for cash help themselves

By GEORGE MAST • Courier-Post Staff • January 4, 2009

When push comes to shove, some shoppers are doing more than just pinching pennies -- they aren't paying at all.

Retailers across the country are reporting a rise in shoplifting and officials are attributing a portion of the increase to cash-strapped amateurs.

"There is a small group of consumers that are making the wrong decisions when they are faced with these financial difficulties," said Casey Chroust, senior vice president of retail operations for the Retail Leaders Industry Association.

A survey by the association of 52 of the nations leading retailers revealed an 84 percent increase in amateur shoplifting in 2008.

"There has been an inverse relationship between this increase in shoplifting and the economy," Chroust said. "As the economy has gone down shoplifting has increased."

Chroust said retailers have noticed more shoplifters stealing smaller items for their own personal use.

The survey also reveals that 80 percent of the retailers reported an increase in organized shoplifting rings as well.

Lt. Bill Kushina of the Cherry Hill Police Department believes organized crime has played a significant role in the marked increase in shoplifters the township has seen this year.

The department made 361 arrests for shoplifting in 2007, he said. The number soared to 658 by Dec. 14 in 2008. Kushina estimated the final number for the year would be around 700.

However, he doesn't believe many of the shoplifters arrested were stealing out of necessity.

"We're not seeing a lot due to the economy -- somebody going in there to put food on their table," he said of the shoplifters.

Instead he attributes a large part of the increase to an organized shoplifting ring authorities say funneled millions of stolen goods through six bodegas in North Camden since 2003.

Police busted the ring in November, arresting 10 people, including three alleged leaders of the operation. Officials said ringleaders recruited hundreds of drug addicts to steal from major retail stores throughout New Jersey Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Each day the leaders passed out "shopping lists" of items they wanted stolen, officials said.

For the most part they sought portable, untraceable personal goods that had high resale values, including over-the-counter pain relief medication, shampoos, pregnancy tests, hair-growth products, teeth whitening strips, razors, baby formula and facial creams.

Since the ring was busted Kushina said the department has seen the number of shoplifting incidents drop off.

Officials from the Cherry Hill Mall and Deptford Mall declined to be interviewed for the article.

Lt. Robert Bott of the Deptford Township Police Department said shoplifting incidents in 2008 were consistent with figures from 2007.

"We really haven't seen much of an increase at all," he said.

Kushina said the Cherry Hill Mall and many big box stores have their own security but rely on township police to process shoplifters.

Perpetrators are usually released on a court summons unless they have a criminal record or were caught stealing a significant amount, he said.

Still the process can take up to two hours for each offender, Kushina said.

"It's time consuming," he said. "It's a drain on our resources."

Chroust said the weakening economy has made it even harder on law enforcement officials as restricted budgets limit police coverage.

The association's report indicates limited police resources may be factoring into the increased number of shoplifting incidents reported.

Reach George Mast at (856) 486-2465 or gmast@camden.gannett.com

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... /901040357
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As Air Vice Marshall Park said about the Battle of Britain, ".....this is just the beginning, they won't stop now..."

When people are hungry they will do things out of desperation. When it gets bad enough, Big Brother will step in and act as the saviour with a slogan of, we are here for you, to feed you house you, and clothe you, because you can't make it on your own, so we will do this for a price........... Your Liberty! You will bow down to us as the gods we are, unless you would rather starve.

Personally, I would rather starve than bow to any would be dictator.

I bet a lot of people that are shoplifting don't need to, but figure Hey if our govt can bail out the crap on wall st. then I'm gonna get my share too!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Oh I don't doubt that, but I bet a good many are at the hunger point with nowhere else to turn.

They are just looking for a better life to feed their families.

Gee where have I heard that before?

If foreigners can do it why not Americans.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Crime of all kind is on the rise. There are have been a rash of bank and fast good robberys in the are where I live. I think it is only going to get worse as people get more desperate.

Suicides are on the rise also.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    this is all just so sick .....

Yeah but Big Brother knows what's better for all of us than we do ourselves................... And this is the end result. More crime, overpopulation by foreign nationals, and our own going hungry. Give me a friggin' break already.