http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655177/si ... from/RS.4/

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Humor: Chavez Demands Axis of Evil Membership
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is demanding membership in the Axis of Evil. But Kim Jong Il isn't sure he's ready.
WEB-EXCLUSIVE SATIRE
By Andy Borowitz
Special to Newsweek
Updated: 11:37 a.m. PT Jan 16, 2007
Jan. 16, 2007 - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, riding high after being re-elected to a six-year term in office, set his sights on an even higher goal today, as he demanded membership in the Axis of Evil.

Chavez, who made headlines at the United Nations last year by comparing President George W. Bush to Satan, has made no secret of the fact that he would like to join the exclusive club of the world’s most infamous evildoers, including North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

But when the Venezuelan president recently received the news that former Axis of Evil member Saddam Hussein had been hanged, “He realized that this was his time,” an aide to the Venezuelan leader said.

“I want Saddam’s slot,” Chavez said at a press conference in Caracas today. “I’ve earned it.”

But “not so fast,” said Kim Jong Il, who heard of Chavez’s demand while appearing at an Axis of Evil charity golf tournament in Scottsdale, Ariz.

While the North Korean leader said that he is “a big fan of Hugo’s work,” he has reservations about granting the Venezuelan dictator membership in the Axis of Evil: “I think there’s a big difference between being evil and just being crazy, and I think Hugo falls under crazy.”

But when asked who he would like to see take Saddam’s place in the Axis of Evil, Kim did not miss a beat: Rosie O’Donnell. “Anyone who can make enemies of both Donald Trump and Barbara Walters deserves a seat at the table,” Kim said.

Elsewhere, Vice President Dick Cheney defended the government’s right to obtain everyone’s financial records “except mine."

© 2006 Newsweek, Inc.© 2006 Newsweek, Inc.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655177/si ... from/RS.4/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2007 MSNBC.com