Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chertoff defends review of ports takeover

Chertoff defends review of ports takeover
    WILL LESTER
    Associated Press

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanlui ... 912689.htm

WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff on Sunday defended the government's security review of an Arab company given permission to take over operations at six major U.S. ports.

"We make sure there are assurances in place, in general, sufficient to satisfy us that the deal is appropriate from a national security standpoint," Chertoff said on ABC's "This Week."

London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., was bought last week by Dubai Ports World, a state-owned business from the United Arab Emirates. Peninsular and Oriental runs major commercial operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

U.S. lawmakers from both parties are questioning the sale, approved by the Bush administration, as a possible risk to national security.

"It's unbelievably tone deaf politically at this point in our history," Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C. said on "Fox News Sunday."

"Most Americans are scratching their heads, wondering why this company from this region now," Graham said.

Added Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind.: "I think we've got to look into this company. We've got to ensure ... the American people that their national security interests are going to be protected."

At least one Senate oversight hearing is planned for later this month.

"Congress is welcome to look at this and can get classified briefings," Chertoff told CNN's "Late Edition."

"We have to balance the paramount urgency of security against the fact that we still want to have a robust global trading system," he added.

Sen. Robert Menendez, who is working on legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operation in the U.S., said Chertoff's comments showed him that the administration "just does not get it."

In a statement, the New Jersey Democrat said, "No matter what steps the administration claims it has secretly taken, it is an unacceptable risk to turn control of our ports over to a foreign government, particularly one with a troubling history. We cannot depend on promises a foreign government has given the administration in secret to secure our ports."

Chertoff said Dubai Ports World should not be excluded automatically from such a deal because it is based in the UAE.

Critics have cited the UAE's history as an operational and financial base for the hijackers who carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

In addition, they contend the UAE was an important transfer point for shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and Libya by a Pakistani scientist.

DP World has said it intends to "maintain and, where appropriate, enhance current security arrangements." The UAE's foreign minister has described his country as an important U.S. ally in fighting terrorism.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

"We make sure there are assurances in place, in general, sufficient to satisfy us that the deal is appropriate from a national security standpoint," Chertoff said on ABC's "This Week."
    I wonder what 'security' he's talking about?? Not American security...not from his agency...

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

I wonder what 'security' he's talking about?? Not American security...not from his agency...
    No, I suspect that the "security" he's talking about will be in the form of cash transfers to certain offshore bank accounts.

It's the only thing about this that would make sense.

Chertoff said Dubai Ports World should not be excluded automatically from such a deal because it is based in the UAE.
    Now there's some great logic.

It's too bad FDR didn't think outside the box like that during WWII.

He could have contracted with Krupp in Germany to provide us with all our ammunition and armaments.

Just think of all the money we would have saved in shipping charges.

Michael Chertoff

Incompetence= Bad Judgement

Bad Judgement= Poor Decisions

Poor Decisions= Pending Disaster

Pending Disaster= Dictator Jorge Bush Agenda

would anyone be willing to start a collection to send to Chertoff to send him a tractor to pull his head out of his behind? Or is it Bush's behind?

The man is a fool!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You can use my tractor....it's a pulling dude and it would need to be to accomplish that mission.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Sigh...................

I know...... I so often come across as the proverbial "broken record" with the player's needle playing the same groove over and over and over ad infinitum.

Hey!!!! Ponder this dudes and dudettes, it won't be too far in the future that the adage "like a broken record" won't make any sense to a generation removed from vinyl recordings. And, as the years creep by and America becomes evermore akin to Latin America, the day may come when the adage disappears entirely!!!!!!

Ahem.......

I have mentioned class war many times along with America being ruled by an elite class. I have also proclaimed that the elites of the various countries have more in common with each other than do the elites with the "commoners" within their own country.

I believe we are witnessing that. Elite monied interests of the USA and Dubai are assisting each other to the detriment of the USA and the common folks within.

Reading about history has been my hobby for several decades. I have noted that throughout history, time after time, the elites of the various countries, kingdoms, principalities, nation-states, etc. have acted in ways that assisted the elite classes while the common folks were spat upon.

Sniff out the flow of money and powere and the vested interests holding the same and the reasons for events often become quite clear.

Love it or leave it.

Just don't say the "r" word!!!!!! (hint: 10 letters, ends in "n")

Banned
    DAMN! Regurgitation has too many letters!

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    No, I suspect that the "security" he's talking about will be in the form of cash transfers to certain offshore bank accounts.

It's the only thing about this that would make sense.
    I FEEL SO MUCH SAFER NOW, HEARING CHERTOFF'S ASSURING WORDS.
    So now, besides all the illegals criminally enterring our country, we can expect Arabs with intentions of taking over the world, coming through our ports. WHO NEEDS BORDERS?:!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn