Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Colin Powell Cautions Obama on Big Government

Colin Powell Cautions Obama on Big Government

Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:40 AM

Colin Powell worries that President Barack Obama is trying to tackle too many big issues at one time and he offers this advice: take a hard look at costs and consider the additional red tape that will be created.

"The right answer is, `Give me a government that works,'" the former secretary of state said in a television interview to be aired Sunday. "Keep it as small as possible," added Powell, who said he has spoken recently with Obama and stays in touch with him. Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama last year over the GOP presidential nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Obama wants to overhaul the health care system and take on climate change while also helping the country emerge from the recession.

"I think one of the cautions that has to be given to the president -- and I've talked to some of his people about this -- is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all. And we can't pay for it all," Powell said.

"And I never would have believed that we would have budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars, and we are amassing a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great grandchildren will have to pay for it."

It's not a new theme for Powell

He complained about the government's size and intrusiveness in his 1996 speech to the Republican National Convention. He said then that the nation no longer could afford more entitlements, higher taxes and more bureaucracy. In the interview with CNN's "State of the Union" that is to air Sunday, Powell said he hasn't changed his mind.

"Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people," he said.

He said Obama "has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is. And, how much additional bureaucracy and will it be effective bureaucracy."

CNN released excerpts of the interview in advance of the broadcast.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/us_p ... 31908.html

Update: This story now is being run as a lead news story on AOL. There is a four question POLL at the source link:

http://news.aol.com/article/powell-warn ... t%2F556058
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Keep it as small as possible," added Powell, who said he has spoken recently with Obama and stays in touch with him.
    "Keep it small?" Uhh...that train already left the station I think
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey Colin, you endorsed this Communist so either live with him or move to Jamaica!! I don't want to hear any of your BS.

He can't decide if he wants his nose up Obama's butt or not. I've lost a lot of respect for Powell over the last sevral months. I don't know if this makes me like him again or feel like he just flaps in the wind.

Is Powell a commi or isn't he? I'm confused. Maybe he just wants a small communist government.
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

Quote Originally Posted by jecg_97030
    Is Powell a commi or isn't he? I'm confused. Maybe he just wants a small communist government.
    No Powell is not a Commi, he fought against the Communists in Vietnam. I think he was just star struck and felt a "racial" bond with Obama, in other words his emotions got the better of him. Now he has woken up but it's too late Colin, the only way you can redeem yourself is to join with Alan Keyes and demand Obama produce his birth certificate and passports!!!

I too, have lost all respect for Powell since he joined Obama to destroy this country. He has lost all credibility. I'm sick of him popping up now and then to make a statement because anything he has to say is pure BS. Powell.....be quiet.

Bowman said
    ..Colin, the only way you can redeem yourself is to join with Alan Keyes and demand Obama produce his birth certificate and passports!!!
    Man, that's hitting the nail on the head!