Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Cruz Against Weapons Ban: ‘Constitution is Particularly Important when the Bill of Ri

Cruz Against Weapons Ban: ‘Constitution is Particularly Important when the Bill of Rights is Unpopular’

March 14, 2013
    By Eric Scheiner
    Subscribe to RSS
    Follow on Twitter

Sen. Ted Cruz (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - During committee hearings on “The Assault Weapons Ban of 2013” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) argued against it's constitutionality saying, “some have pointed to public opinion polls, in my view the Constitution is particularly important when the Bill of Rights is unpopular.”Cruz argued the common weapons banned under the measure make the proposal unconstitutional under the Second Amendment, even if the ban receives strong public support.

Video at the page Link:

“The final point I’ll make on make on the Constitution is that some have pointed to public opinion polls, in my view the Constitution is particularly important when the Bill of Rights is unpopular," Cruz said.

“The purpose of it is to stand for the rights of the minority when the majority is acting to strip their rights.”

As Cruz continued he was interrupted by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), “I appreciate the lecture of what we’re supposed to do as senators upholding the Constitution, I’ve been doing it for 38 years but I’m always happy to have the reminder from someone who has been here for – probably not quite as long.”

Cruz requested the opportunity to conclude and did so by saying, “Likewise, earlier this week this committee voted to fund a study of the impact of films and video games on violent crimes. And I would note that I voted ‘no’ against that as well because I believe in the First Amendment, I believe in the Second Amendment, I believe in the Fifth Amendment and I would suggest that every one of us has an obligation to the Constitution.”

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the renewed assault-weapons ban on a party-line 10-8 vote. The measure bans a wide range of semi-automatic weapons and “ All ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips, and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.”

The measure now advances to the full Senate.

Cruz Against Weapons Ban: ‘Constitution is Particularly Important when the Bill of Rights is Unpopular’ | CNS News

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Again - These are Temporary Politicians trying to enact Permanent Changes to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment

Once they destroy these Rights; they will NEVER come back
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)