Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

JJ

Editoral on Hope, AR. tragedy

A carnival is supposed to a place of bright lights and big fun.

A carnival is supposed to a place of bright lights and big fun.

But the joy turned to tears Easter Sunday in Hope, Ark., when a 7-year-old boy died after falling from a carnival ride.

Apparently, the safety bar on a ride called the ‘Sizzler wasnt locked into place when the ride started. The boy fell out of the ride and was struck in the head by the ride as it continued to move.

It was a terrible tragedy, the kind of thing every parent fears when taking their children on carnival rides.

Especially tragic is that the boys death might have been avoided.

Family members say the boys mother kept yelling at the ride attendant that the safety bar was not locked. That she kept screaming for the attendant to stop the ride.

But the operator couldnt understand her. She was screaming in Spanish.

We do not want to detract from the tragedy, nor minimize in any way this familys loss.

Nor do we wish to lay any blame or fault on the family. This was a tragic accident. The mother did what she could to avoid it.

But she was hampered by her lack of English-language skills.

We cannot say for sure that this tragedy would have been avoided had the mother been able to communicate in English. But it might have been.

We are a nation of immigrants and while we celebrate the various distinct cultures that make up our nation, we also recognize the need for unity in some things as well.

When one goes to live in a different land, learning the common language should be a priority.

And in the U.S. the common language is English.

The ability to communicate is important. A command of the common language brings the possibility of richer relationships with your neighbors and community, allows you to express your ideas so all can understand and opens the doors to economic prosperity that are out of reach to those locked behind the language barrier.

And sometimes it could mean the difference between life and death.

www.Texarkanagazette.com

Re: Editoral on Hope, AR. tragedy

"We are a nation of immigrants"

I wish they would stop this!

We are not a Nation of immigrants! The American People the majority of whom were born, and schooled here are Americans! We're not anything else. I was born in the United States of America in 1963 damnit! Not in Europe or Asia, or Africa or Australia, or South America, or Central America. I'm an American! So these clowns can stuff it as far as I'm concerned!

Now for the family, yes it is a terrible loss, to lose a child. But it is also a responsibility on the parents part or anyone for that fact who comes to this country, that they learn the damn language already. And it's not everybody elses fault when bad things happen to those who refuse to assimilate, and expect special treatment. Is this going to require amusement park operators to speak two or more languages to accomodate people from all over the world who refuse to learn our common language? And just how much are you willing to pay someone who can speak up to seven or eight languages? That has to be worth something, and not small potatoes by any standard.

I can see it now, it will cost 50.00 bucks per ride, and will take 30 minutes to repeat the safety regulations in numerous languages before you get to enjoy the ride. I only hope the bed pans or something to cover everybody while they're waiting.