Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

First black Miss Alabama says can't help but feel Dallas shooter was a 'martyr'

By Kent Faulk July 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM, updated July 10, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Kalyn Chapman James, the first African American to hold the Miss Alabama title, posted a tearful video on her Facebook page Sunday that says she doesn't want to "feel this way" but she finds it hard to be sad for the

Dallas police officers and "can't help but feeling like the shooter was a martyr."

She later clarified her thoughts and expressed her condolences to the families of the slain officers in a statement to AL.com.

James, who was Miss Alabama in 1993 and attended the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and is now a TV host living in Miami. She is a native of Mobile.

She posted the more than two-minute Facebook Live video on her Facebook page Sunday afternoon. She was in a car and stated she had just left church.

"I don't want to feel this way" James states in the video. "I don't feel sad for the officers who lost their lives ... I know that's not really my heart. I value human life. And I want to feel sad for them but I can't help but feeling like the shooter was a martyr," she says in the video.Kalyn Chapman James (2011 file photo)

"And I know it's not the right way to feel because nobody deserves to lose their lives and I know that those police officers had families and people who loved them and that they didn't deserve to die but I'm so torn up in my heart about seeing these men, these black men, being gunned down in our community that I can't help, I can't help but feel like; I wasn't surprised by what the shooter did to those cops and I think a lot of us feel the same way and I know it's not right and I definitely don't condone violence against innocent people," James stated.

James went on to say she was "sad" and "hurt." She also asked how others are feeling and how they are dealing with it.

In response to a request by AL.com for comment about her Facebook post, James issued this message late Sunday night:

"My heart and my mind were conflicted because these are difficult and very emotional times for so many people. I went to church to address my feelings and deal with them from a perspective of forgiveness and love.

Especially forgiving myself for feeling that way. I regret that any people lost their lives this week and I am saddened by all of the shootings that occurred. But, this is not about me. When reading about the killings of those black men, I was mortified by some of the comments about them. Many People were not conflicted at all about those deaths. Some were okay with this. These are raw wounds that are fresh and, while I apologize if

I offended anyone, I cannot help the way I feel as I continue to process these events and deal with the flood of emotions that come from witnessing such atrocities - both against citizens and officers of the law. The fact that my opinion was considered newsworthy makes me feel like speaking up was exactly what I should do, because I can voice what so many people are feeling and dealing with and they should know they are not alone.

I reiterate that I do not condone violence or killing at all. I offer my deepest condolences to all the families who lost their loved ones this week, including the officers in Dallas."

Five Dallas police officers died and seven others were wounded Thursday while providing security for a Black Lives Matter protest. The event was in response to two shootings in which police officers in Louisiana and Minnesota killed black men during incidents earlier in the week.

A martyr who has shoot like empty cane of beer bottle of whiskey people and police officers is not a martyr reverse way yes and you don't deserve to be any first Miss Alabama