Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Foolishness of the Texas Governor's Race

Can you believe this. I don't have a choice. Do you still wonder why Texas is an over flowing border state? The other candidates are Rick Perry former Bush Lt. Gov and incumbent and the Democrat Chris Bell. God save Texas!

Dixie
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/15007423.htm

Posted on Mon, Jul. 10
    Secretary of state says no to 'Grandma'By R.A. DYER
    STAR-TELEGRAM AUSTIN BUREAU

The Associated Press archive / Harry Cabluck

Texas voters will get Kinky, but they won't get Grandma. Carole Keeton Strayhorn, right, won't get to be called "Grandma" on the November ballot, but fellow independent candidate for governor Kinky Friedman, left, will get to use his nickname, the state's elections chief ruled Monday.
    The long and the short of politicians' names
    AUSTIN — Kinky is in; Grandma is out.

That’s the word from Secretary of State Roger Williams, who ruled Monday on the use of ballot nicknames by independent gubernatorial candidates Carole Keeton "Grandma" Strayhorn and Kinky Friedman.

Strayhorn won’t get "Grandma" on the Nov. 7 ballot because it’s a slogan, Williams ruled. But Friedman gets to have "Kinky," although his first name "Richard" will also appear.

Both had sought the green-light from Williams to include what they describe as nicknames on the Nov. 7 ballot.

Strayhorn immediately announced that she’d take the issue to court.

"I am grandma — this is how people know me and address me," she said.

Williams office ruled that because "Grandma" seemed to appear only on campaign literature, it looks to be a slogan — and so state election code bars it from the ballot.

"Ms. Strayhorn has never appeared on the ballot under the name ‘Grandma’," the secretary of state’s office explained in a prepared statement. "(Also) Ms. Strayhorn’s declaration of intent lists her name as Carole Keeton Strayhorn; Ms. Strayhorn’s petitions list her candidate name as Carole Keeton Strayhorn (and) the only reference to ‘Grandma’ in communication with the Secretary of State’s office appears on Ms. Strayhorn’s campaign literature."

Both Strayhorn, the state’s Republican comptroller, and Friedman, an author and entertainer, will appear on the Nov. 7. ballot as independent candidates. Also running are Democrat Chris Bell, Republican incumbent Rick Perry and Libertarian James Werner.

During his 22-year political career, Perry has never gone by his given name, James, on the ballot. Likewise, Bell makes no mention of his given name, Robert, on any of his campaign material.

R.A. Dyer, (512) 476-4294 rdyer@star-telegram.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Strayhorn talks out both sides of her mouth and Kinky is an ex-hippie and a Leftist burnout. I don't want to vote for Perry, but Bell is no answer. Dang!

I hear you CG! I feel the same way. Just look at the silliness they have resorted to! It's not about name calling but about what's my name.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    I hear you CG! I feel the same way. Just look at the silliness they have resorted to! It's not about name calling but about what's my name.

Dixie
    Strayhorn may be the most pathetic, pulling her Ann Richards wannabe act. Kinky is actually not a bad guy, but he sure as hell should not be governor. I guess that second part makes him a natural candidate in this race