Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GA - Hundreds line up in the cold for help heating homes

Hundreds line up in the cold for help heating homes

By Mike Morris and John Spink

As metro Atlanta's temperatures grow colder, the demand for heat is, well, heating up.

John Spink jspink@ajc.com Lecher Eady (left) the mother of 16-month old triplets waited since midnight in the cold for hopes of getting financial assistance Thursday Dec.2, 2010 at the Mansour Center in Marietta. The single mother who has held 3 different jobs in 2010 is laid off from health care work.

A day after hundreds of people queued up outside a Marietta community center to apply for assistance with heat and power bills, hopeful applicants began lining up again around midnight, waiting in the sub-freezing temperatures for the doors to open Thursday morning.

This time, however, officials let those in line come into the Mansour Center on Roswell Street an hour early at 7:30 and get relief from temperatures that dropped to 27 degrees.

“We’re freezing,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't see any of the "immigration marchers" in the video. The government wants to spend on illegals when it's own job killing policies have put citizens in the streets without heat in the middle of Winter.

I wonder how these folks feel about spending billions on illegals?

Heating Bill Assistance Funds Quickly Depleted
    Marietta Nonprofit Forced To Turn Away Dozens
    Written By: Rebekka Schramm - CBS Atlanta Reporter

UPDATED: 1:45 pm EST December 2, 2010

MARIETTA, Ga. -- A Marietta nonprofit group that helps people pay energy bills was forced to turn away dozens of people after it ran out of funding.

The Tallatoona Action Partnership opened its doors Wednesday to find hundreds of people -- some who had spent the night in the parking lot -- waiting in line for assistance.

The partnership disperses federal funding to people in need, said Sarita Johnson, the group's Cobb energy coordinator. She said 570 people were granted appointments. The others, including people who showed up at the Mansour Center Thursday, were put on a waiting list, she said.

“It breaks my heart to have to stand out here and tell people that unfortunately, I cannot see them and that funds are exhausted,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn