Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gang members don't belong in the military or our community

Gang members don't belong in the military or our community
    last updated: May 28, 2008 01:35:11 AM

On Aug. 18, 1958, as a 17-year-old naval reservist, I was sent to the Naval Training Center in San Diego for boot camp. In the first week, I was appointed by the drill instructor to be recruit chief petty officer of my 90-man company. I was chosen because of my four years in a military high school. In our company were 12 young men from Chicago who had been given the option to enter the service or go to jail for the street crimes they had committed. Our company was doing well, on the drill field and in the classrooms, until the sixth week of training, when we were separated into two groups, one that left the barracks at 4 a.m. to work preparing the mess hall for the four battalions of recruits all in different phases of training. The second group left at 5 a.m. to have their meal and clean up the mess hall. I made the mistake of choosing to lead the second group. The 12 young men from Chicago, apparently resentful of their training, made sure they were in the second group. On the second morning, immediately after the first group left the barracks, the 12 dragged me out of my bunk for a "blanket party." I was beaten unconscious and almost killed by boots and M-1 rifle butts.

The incident was quickly quelled by a young naval officer and the base police. I was taken to Balboa Naval Hospital, where I remained unconscious for a week with a brain concussion and seven skull fractures. I was hospitalized for a month before I was sent back to finish training. The young men from Chicago were all court-martialed and sentenced to 25 years each for attempted murder.

One month later, another recruit CPO was killed in a similar incident, which led to a congressional investigation. This is why the street criminals and gang members must not be sent to the military. If they have not previously been good, honorable citizens in their communities, they will not become trustworthy members in uniform.

BERT H. COOK

Riverbank

http://www.modbee.com/1646/story/311246.html

I agree , we had the same type problem at Ft.Benning ,Ga for basic training in early 1967. The draft and the courts pulled in a lot of guys that where less than willing . Blanket partys , weekly if you didn't become a puke like them . Most where "Recycled" , they had to do Basic all over again . They got what they begged for "Ill Treatment". Funny thing is , you don't break the Army . They break you ,specially during war time when training intensifys . These guys never did figure out the hard training was to help them in combat . It was all bout "Them" in their minds
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Moved from General Disc to Other Topics
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)