Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

4. Chevrolet Corvair

Corvair The rear-engined Corvair, designed to compete against sporty European models then gaining popularity, earned a special place in automotive history. It was the subject of a chapter in Ralph Nader’s book “Unsafe at Any Speed,â€

5. Chevrolet Vega

Chevrolet Vega The Vega was an early attempt by General Motors to break into the fuel-efficient compact car market. Unfortunately, the Vega quickly earned a reputation for consuming, not gasoline, but motor oil. The Vega’s aluminum engine just wasn’t up to the job and, according to various sources, the cars were plagued by mechanical problems, including a hearty appetite for lubricants. Premature rusting was another commonly reported issue.

If true, it was probably a bad sign when, eight miles into a test run on GM’s proving track, a Vega literally fell apart, as related in a book by John DeLorean recalling his days as head of Chevrolet.

6. Chevrolet Chevette

Chevrolet Chevette Another GM attempt to compete against small, inexpensive imports. And, again, this one wasn’t a market flop. In fact, the Chevette was the best-selling small car in America for the 1979 and 1980 model years. Ultimately, 2.7 million were produced over its lifetime.

But it is remembered today for being mechanically troubled, poorly constructed and underpowered, a sad reminder of the trouble Detroit automakers had (and still have) in responding to the flood of small, cheap cars from Japan. The attempt to piggyback on “Corvetteâ€

9. Pontiac Aztek

Pontiac Aztek Sadly, the Aztek could have been a successful vehicle if it hadn’t been quite so hideous.

On certain rare occasions a car company can produce a model that many people find unattractive and yet, somehow, it ends up finding an adoring market. The Honda Element is one example. The Chrysler 300 is another.

Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out that way with the Aztek. In its five year production run, just 115,000 were made. The crossover SUV’s exterior, reminiscent of Pablo Picasso’s cubist period, doubtlessly drove away many buyers who might have loved the versatile vehicle packaged inside. The Aztek was always highly rated by its owners, garnering top scores in J.D. Power’s owner satisfaction surveys

Hagerty Insurance asked its customers, mostly car collectors, to name the "Most questionable cars" of all time. These are the top vote-getters.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer

#4 Tagged: Ugly Pontiac Aztek

#5 Tagged: Unreliable Chevrolet Vega

#7 Tagged: Dangerous Corvair

#10 Tagged: Pathetic Chevrolet Chevette

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/aut ... ars/4.html

SPECIAL MENTION

Ford Pinto

YUGO

AMC Pacer

AMC GREMLIN

The Chevette was mentioned and I had that car in 1983. In fact I lost the steering on the car while driving on the highway and ended up in a roll over. I only had it for 3 months when the part failure happened. There were many other who had the same problem and GM made sure the transportation department would be unable to get the part to test it.
    As for the Cadillacs my father traded in his old one which gave him trouble for a new one. That was in 2001 and he drove the new one off the lot and took it back the next day only to have the transmission replaced on a brand new car! The one he owned before that was being repaired on a monthly basis and he didn't even have alot of miles on it. When GM sent him a survey about it he had me write that my Neon was in the shop less than his Cadillac.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Consumers have the option of what to purchase and the power to create change by their purchases. We also have state and federal consumer and safety depts. as well as with vehicle purchases, "lemon laws." Also a smart consumer does a bit of research prior to making a major purchase.

I am not advocating for GM, Ford or any other car company. My concern is with the American workers whose livelihoods depend on the automakers.

The UAW is not the culprit, its management and governmental decisions that created the problem. Any contract is negotiable. The auto workers have given concessions to the companies. They need to make a liveable wage just as any person who works.

If it weren't for unions, the benefits we have today, you know, the coffee breaks, the paid lunch hour, paid holidays and vacations, health insurance, safe working conditions probably would not exist. As well as the requirements when employing our children, the jobs and hours they can work as well. They (unions) fought a long hard battle for these things. The employers weren't just handing them out. Non union employees enjoy these very same benefits today.

I still feel very strongly that if we can bailout the greedy and unscrupulous Wall St and Co's, whose CEOS, etc. are still living the high life we can help our fellow American workers. I would prefer not to have to, but if its necesary, then I want them to keep their jobs, they aren't living the high life. I would like to see some restitution from the clowns that caused the financial sectors failure. I don't think its fair that they can walk away with golden parachutes or the ill gotten millions/billions. I also have a problem with the Fed's telling banks they have to take the funds. If a bank doesn't need the money, they shouldn't get any. The Feds also have to get these banks to make the funds available to consumers and to stop the hoarding and ridiculous rate increases on credit cards etc. for no reason.

We also need to regulate all financial institutions once again. The lack of regulation was a major fault in this whole messy affair. We shifted from regulations and anti trust laws to letting the companies call the shots without any oversight and look how well that worked. We taxpayers will be footing this bill beyond our lifetimes. We also need to hold our state and federal representatives accountable on this, as they were the ones who allowed all this. It couldn't have happened if they were doing their jobs correctly.

Saving American workers jobs should be a priority on their agenda. I also suggest that they get back to the basics of their jobs, which is as I see it, protecting American jobs, securing our porous borders, deporting all those here illegally, not allowing citizenship by virtue of birth within the US, bringing back regulation of all financial institutions, utilizing the anti-trust laws and putting their constituents concerns first. The American people are much wiser than their representatives it seems. They need to acquire "common sense" once again. As it stands today, America is
    losing its stability, standing, and no longer has any sense of or in any matter. We as a nation are eroding not slowly but rapidly.

They also better wake up now and stop the train of which they are building with the mega banks. There is an old saying, the bigger they are, they harder they fall. We do not need several mega banks, if one was in trouble we could not control the damage. This is a very serious concern and it seems not much thought was given prior to jumping in and creating these behemoths.

Again it goes back to regulation and the anti-trust laws. We are becoming a nation of a few large banks, a few media owners, etc.. Too much control of too many areas by a few. Very dangerous grounds to tread.

Saving jobs is extremely important, its vital to our economy and our fellow citizens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12