Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Grenade Attacks and Murders in Acapulco

This is not your Elvis movie Acapulco anymore.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...cviolence.html

Violence shakes Mexico's Pacific coast during Easter vacation

By Noe Dominguez
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:56 p.m. April 12, 2006

PETATLAN, Mexico – Violence shook Mexico's Pacific coast Wednesday with a grenade attack killing two in a restaurant and an execution-style killing as tourists packed nearby beaches for the Easter vacation.
    Police were trying to track down leads on the grenade attack, which also injured 16 people in Petatlan, 165 kilometers (100 miles) northwest of the resort city of Acapulco.

“I heard a deafening explosion and when I turned around I saw what looked like sparks, and so I dived to the floor,” said 21-year-old Miguel Angel Cortes Blanco. “I didn't feel anything at first, but then I felt an intense pain in my legs and my arm and I couldn't get up.”

The federal Attorney General's Office issued a news release saying the attack appeared to stem from an argument between two individuals. It did not elaborate.

Esteban Cardenas Perez, director of the local hospital, said his facility had treated 30 wounded, though the Attorney General's Office reported only 16 injured.

Many of the victims were city hall employees, the mayor's aide said, including 27-year-old Ignacio Estrada Rosas, Miralrio's driver. Estrada's condition was not immediately known.

Late Wednesday, two gunmen shot dead Roberto Alfonso Herrera, the 47-year old owner of motorcycle shop in the center of Acapulco.

The assailants arrived in a car, asked employees at the shop for Herrera and then shot him five times with hand guns, said Jorge Valdez, a spokesman for the Acapulco City government.

The attacks came two days after still-unidentified assailants threw a grenade at a home in Acapulco, wounding five people.

Acapulco has been shaken this year by more than a dozen high-profile gun slayings as well as four grenade attacks on police stations.

Federal investigators link the violence to a turf war between drug gangs in northern Mexico for lucrative smuggling routes into the United States.

Associated Press writer Natalia Parra contributed to this report from Acapulco
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

They're Coming to America, Today! Everybody Sing.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

The federal Attorney General's Office issued a news release saying the attack appeared to stem from an argument between two individuals. It did not elaborate
    They really get serious about their arguments, don't they? A grenade??

MJ