Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Guard member dies on border duty

Guard Member Dies on Border Duty
    By Associated Press
    3 hours ago

HARRISBURG, Pa. - A Pennsylvania National Guard member died after collapsing during a training mission in the 100-plus degree heat of the Arizona-Mexico border, a guard spokesman said Friday.

Spc. Kirsten Fike was two hours into the first day of a border surveillance mission when she collapsed on Wednesday. She died the next day, guard spokesman Capt. Cory Angell said.

Angell said the guard has not yet determined the cause of death.

Fike, 36, of Warren joined the guard last month after having served on active duty in the Air Force, Angell said. She was a member of the Greensburg-based detachment of the 28th Military Police Co. About 60 members of the company were serving their annual two-week training by working along the border.

President Bush announced plans in May to send 6,000 National Guard troops from across the country to support the Border Patrol. Bush said the mission would free up Border Patrol officers for active patrols while the guard members built fences, conducted routine surveillance and took care of administrative duties.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sad sad story. Bless her heart.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    My sympathy and condolences go out to her family. While I know it won't offer much much to ease their anguish, I hope they take a little comfort from the fact that she died for her country. Unfortunately, the families of the many civilians in the United States that have died as a direct result of our illegal immigration problem receive no such comfort (in some cases they don't even get justice). IMHO, President Bush and Congress are indirectly responsible for her death and the many others that die weekly in our country because of illegal immigration.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW. ditto! What a terrible thing to have happen. If we could get this young womans address some way, I would love to send my sympathies to this womans family. I know sympathies are not a lot when you lose a family member, yet it does help to know there are people who care, and appreciate the sacrifice your family member made for all of us! I hope the Guard leaders are stressing how important it is to keep your body hydrated with lots of water and mineral replacing drinks like gator aid, some of these guardsmen and women are not use to the ungodly heat at the border right now esp with all the gear these people are expected to carry and the hot uniforms they have to wear. We had a 32 yr old man die of heat stroke yesterday in Okla, just standing outside talking with some neighbors it was 106 here yesterday, I am sure it is hotter then that on the border!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    I haven't written mine yet, but a letter to the editor of her hometown paper would be gladly accepted. I know 'cuz I just got off the phone with them.

The e-mail address is...

editorial@timesobserver.com

Your welcome.

Thanks Pinstraws......sent an e-mail.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)