Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"High diesel costs hammer truckers"

High diesel costs hammer truckers

'It makes it tougher to make a living'
    By Melanie Brandert
    mbrander@argusleader.com

PUBLISHED: December 6, 2007

Advertisement
    American Family

Independent and company-affiliated truck drivers are feeling the pinch when it comes to trying to shoulder additional costs with record diesel fuel prices.

Diesel fuel prices hit a record in Sioux Falls on Sunday at $3.65 per gallon, with prices down slightly Wednesday at $3.59 per gallon, according to the AAA Fuel Gauge Report. Prices are down slightly this week nationwide at $3.47, according to the report.

Arlan Nelson of Hurley, who has been an independent truck driver for 11/4 years, figures that his costs have risen $6,000 monthly with the $1 per gallon increase in diesel prices.

"When I started, it was $2.50 a gallon. Now it's $3.46," he said last week, adding he'll have to see whether he still could handle rising diesel costs. "Keeping speed down helps. I try to make my destination if (customers) give me enough time. If they don't, then I have to (drive faster)."

Motor carriers are on pace to spend $110 billion on fuel this year, said Tiffany Wlazlowski, director of public affairs for American Trucking Association. The industry consumes 36.4 billion gallons of diesel fuel and 15 billion gallons of gas a year.

"For motor carriers, fuel represents their second-highest operating expense after labor or up to 25 percent of operating costs," Wlazlowski said.

Myron Rau, president of South Dakota Trucking Association, said truck drivers are frustrated by high diesel prices.

"It makes it tougher to make a living," he said. "It makes it harder to make ends meet."

Chris Anderson, vice president of capacity development at Midwest Coast Transportation in Sioux Falls, has been giving a business seminar to independent truck drivers, particularly how to reduce their fuel costs - the highest part of their operation.

Anderson suggested fuel economy tips such as reducing idle time, driving slower to improve fuel mileage and extend the life of tires and gradually shifting through gears.

"All that does is overload and that black smoke you see roll out? That's just money going out the exhaust," he said.

For example, driving 65 mph will lead fuel economy of 6.5 miles per gallon, compared to 5.5 miles per gallon by driving 75 mph.

Brian and Ruthie Marth of Walnut Grove, Minn., are fleet drivers for MCT and average 19,000 to 24,000 miles a month.

"It's tough to operate and stay in business with prices. With the miles we run, we put in at least $600 if not more in fuel every 24 hours," Brian Marth said.

Marth said he knows of independent truck drivers who have gotten fed up with the higher costs and left the business.

Statistics he has seen show that more will follow.

"The worst part is it's affecting everybody because of the high prices we have to charge for hauling stuff for fuel prices is passed down to everybody and the consumer," he said.

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 60303/1003
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

The clincher:
    The worst part is it's affecting everybody because of the high prices we have to charge for hauling stuff for fuel prices is passed down to everybody and the consumer
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

Seems like someone in the oil industry, sure knew what they were doing. They have held US hostage for how long now ?

Several friends of mine in the 'Independent Trucking Industry' speculate there might be a Nation Wide strike by the Trucking Industry if something isn't done, and done soon !

I know I myself would support such a strike. WE THE PEOPLE, have to tell Washington and the 'Corporate Elite,' WE are tired of being held hostage and for ransom, at the profit of the Elite, and noting more !

Coarse, one major problem in this industry's attempt to do so, will undoubtedly be the refusal of all the "Government Subsidized" trucking companies to comply w/such a strike, that are subsidized, just for this event.

For God's sake ! If everyone w/a brain hasn't figured out by now, that all the events and issues in the past 30 years for just a round about figure, haven't been for the destruction of the American People, and the American Way, then one must be brain dead, and needs a serious infection of Dobbsatarianism virus injected, and see if they won't come around !

Isn't that why we are at war w/Iraq and 1/2 the M.E. ? To make sure, they keep the price of oil at it's highest that can be ? Oh Forgive me, lest I suffer another attack of my 'Conspiracy Theorism' spewing out.

To A Better Day America !

Your Loyal Son & Servant ~

Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death

The trucking industry doesn't tell you they usually charge a "fuel surcharge". when the price goes up. I'm no longer involved with the freight business, but I doubt it disapearred.

I'm all for the surcharge. Without it, 100% of the additional fuel cost would come out of the driver's pocket. I do suspect the charge actually lags any price increase, but it's better help than what I get.

To make a living driving a truck is tuff !

Every year I have been hearing about a Truck Strike... It's been 15 years... Never will happen... The last "Big One" was UPS... The drivers lost more money by not working then they made back...

My F.S.C. is 28.5% right now.....
    John