"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
Matthew 6:1-5

As this section shows, in the Messiah's day, hypocrites in Judaea would "trumpet" their alms and prayers publicly, in order to attract attention to their overt acts of righteousness, in order to appear to be good & pious... even when they really were not.

Do we see anything like this today?

I have read numerous posts on this forum regarding, for example, replies from Senators as to why they support the "Dream Act". So called "liberals" always trumpet their "compassion" before you. They always say, in effect, "hey hey hey, look at me, look at me, see how I'm saying compassionate things, see how I'm showing I care about all those poor illegals in need, how I care so much (that I'll give them America)".

The "bad guys" are just like those hypocritical Pharisees in Scripture.

They trumpet their "righteousness". They say, "Hey, look at me, good, let's save all the whales". They say, "Hey, over here, see me?, good, let's save all the bunnies". They say, "Hey, over here, yeah that's right, let's help all those poor illegals".

And then when you look away, convinced of their righteousness, they get into their expensive SUV and gain from the corruption of America.

The bad guys are "Pharisees", just like the Bible says.

(That is to say, coincidentally, as it happens to happen to happen, the Bible is actually right on this issue.)