Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Los Alamitos OKs `In God We Trust` heeding residents advice

Tuesday, June 17, 2008
    Los Alamitos OKs 'In God We Trust,' heeding residents' advice
    City Council votes unanimously to approve display of national motto in council chambers.
    By JADE LEHAR
    The Orange County Register

LOS ALAMITOS – City Council members voted unanimously Monday night to display "In God We Trust'' in council chambers – about a month after their decision to poll residents about the national motto.

Councilwoman Gerri Mejia said she was happy with turnout of residents in the survey, which closed June 4 with 91 percent of the 1,089 voters in favor of adding the letters.

"When it comes to an opinion, all of you out there are just as much of an expert as we are," Mejia said. "It is my job to reach out to the community and see what the community consensus is. I said we would go with what the majority wanted."

Councilman Dean Grose requested the display during the May 5 meeting. Even though the council generally agreed with the idea, Mejia suggested receiving the publics input via Internet, phone, and written opinions.

In recent months, several Orange County cities have chosen to display the motto, including Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Tustin, Cypress and Westminster.

The Villa Park City Council voted in April to let residents decide on the November ballot.

Mayor Ken Parker said he was pleased with the positive feedback he's received.

"Of all the items we've ever dealt with, it received the highest number of responses," he said. "It's wonderful that so many people chimed in. What a positive thing for people to get involved in government issues.''

The lettering in council chambers will cost $200 or less, officials said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coun ... play-motto
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"When it comes to an opinion, all of you out there are just as much of an expert as we are," Mejia said. "It is my job to reach out to the community and see what the community consensus is. I said we would go with what the majority wanted."

WOW......what a novel and unusual idea....
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)