Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

McDonald's owner outsources labor to call center

http://www.billingsgazette.net

Gillette McDonald's gets around labor shortage by outsourcing
    By The Associated Press

GILLETTE -- He had to look hundreds of miles away, but a worker shortage didn't prevent Vahid Abbaszadeh from finding someone to take orders at his McDonald's.

Abbaszadeh now uses a call center in Santa Maria, Calif., to take orders at his drive-through.

While that seemed a little "weird" for customer Joshua Daniel as he ordered a Big Mac, Caesar salad and extra large Mr. Pibb recently, Abbaszadeh said that relying on the call center was the only way to stay operational.

"I didn't have anybody to take the order," he said. "As long as we are short-handed, we have no choice." The center takes the place of a task that used to require six employees a day at the Gillette McDonald's, one of several dozen using call centers.

Abbaszadeh said he knew the system would benefit his store when he visited a McDonald's in downtown Denver that uses a call center. He said some of his employees had difficulty adjusting to the concept, but they soon found that it made their jobs much easier.

Though call center employees rarely get orders wrong, Abbaszadeh admits that "it happens."

Still, he said the benefits outweigh any minor inconveniences. "First, they are really polite," he said. "Number two, their response time is really low. As soon as a car comes, they can order."

The call center's average time to respond to a customer waiting to order is less than 5 seconds. That's compared to up to 30 seconds previously.

Abbaszadeh plans to use the call center indefinitely. But if there comes a time when local people need work, he said he would gladly employ them instead.

"I'd rather take care of my own town people first," he said. "If I have enough people to staff my store, I'd be glad to do it."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I'd rather take care of my own town people first," he said. "If I have enough people to staff my store, I'd be glad to do it."
    So why can't he keep people? Is he a nasty, toxic boss? Low pay? Or doesn't want to be bothered? Has he advertised? And not just on his door?

If, none of the above is true, and he really can't get help, that's one thing.

I'm just having a problem believing it.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Me too, PAT. Something smells in that story. Ever know of a fast food joint NOT to be able to find help?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I thought it was a rather odd story myself. I wonder if this is some sort of experiment with McDonalds to test outsourcing their labor. Can you imagine someday going to a fast food restaurant and having someone in India taking your order.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Brian and 2nd,

Yes, unfortunately I can, the way things are going.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!