Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico applauds US decision to clear some of its tomatoes in

Mexico applauds US decision to clear some of its tomatoes in salmonella outbreak

1 hour ago

MEXICO CITY — The U.S. has cleared tomatoes in 28 of 31 Mexican states from suspicion in a recent salmonella outbreak, a move that drew praise from Mexican officials Saturday.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration now appears to be narrowing its investigation into the outbreak, which has sickened more than 550 people, to some counties in Florida and three Mexican states: Jalisco, Coahuila and Sinaloa.

The decision represents "important progress" and was the result of "a day of intense negotiations between (Mexican) federal authorities and the FDA," Mexico's Agriculture Department said in a press statement.

Mexico's tomato exports, a big source of income for farmers, were all but halted by the salmonella outbreak, which began in April.

Some cases are still being reported.

U.S. warnings against consuming Mexican tomatoes caused resentment here.

Mexican officials said they'll continue to work to prove that the salmonella detected in the United States did not originate in their country.

The FDA inspection in Mexico is now looking at some distributors who were handling tomatoes in the western state of Jalisco and the northern state of Coahuila when the outbreak occurred.

"However, there is no evidence at this time that they were related" to the outbreak, according to the press statement.

While Sinaloa is Mexico's most important tomato-growing state and remains on the warning list, it has ended its tomato-growing season for the year.

FDA investigators have been tracking where those stricken with salmonella said they bought or ate tomatoes, and where the retailers or restaurants bought them.

They have zeroed in on a list of farms in Florida and Mexico that seem to have contributed at least partly to the supply, plus records showing the packing houses and other distribution stops between the farms and markets.

FDA inspectors will be involved in reviews of the suspected sites.

http://tinyurl.com/65mnwk
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I can see what is coming the Mexicans are going to take over canned tomato production from California and fresh tomato production will be dispersed through out the United States. The California growers are getting shorter in labor as immigration tightens. Fresh tomato production will mve closer to eaters. Canned tomatoes are treated in such a way that it removes the chance of salmonella.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The decision represents "important progress" and was the result of "a day of intense negotiations between (Mexican) federal authorities and the FDA," Mexico's Agriculture Department said in a press statement.
    "a day of intense negotiations between (Mexican) federal authorities and the FDA"..................What is there to negotiate about salmonella--you can't negotiate the origin of the disease........but you can negotiate free trade and an inability to uncover the source of the salmonella.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I can see what is coming the Mexicans are going to take over canned tomato production from California and fresh tomato production will be dispersed through out the United States. The California growers are getting shorter in labor as immigration tightens. Fresh tomato production will mve closer to eaters. Canned tomatoes are treated in such a way that it removes the chance of salmonella.
    Yeah, but there is always the threat of botulism from canned foods. Canning has to be done right or the food can literally kill you.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Salmonella can be prevented by just rinsing in dilute bleach much of the Third World does this. The Mexican cannned producers have a good record. The combination of Mexico now having a reputation for salmonella and labor getting scarcer in California is likely to shift canned production to Mexico.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Richard, I think that you are correct. But canned food is never as good health wise as fresh food. I bought a tomato plant just the other day. I think I'll buy a couple more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.campaignforliberty.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjauAv6I-E8

Don't care if they're cleared or not, too many problems with food from Mexico. I will never buy any food item from Mexico again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Salmonella can be prevented by just rinsing in dilute bleach much of the Third World does this. The Mexican cannned producers have a good record. The combination of Mexico now having a reputation for salmonella and labor getting scarcer in California is likely to shift canned production to Mexico.
    Richard is correct. But the operative phrase here is "most of the third world does this." I will be damned if I have to adopt "third world pratices" in order to eat a friggin tomatoe when I live in the most developed country on the face of this planet (that's what they tell us)! This should not even be an issue in this country!

No thanks. I will grow my own tomatoes.

P.S. Richard. My little rant was not against you buddy. I know you were only trying to offer up suggestions for everyone to help them out.