Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Milwaukee police to release video showing arrest of NBA's Sterling Brown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Milwaukee police to release video showing arrest of NBA's Sterling Brown

Milwaukee police to release video showing arrest of NBA's Sterling Brown

By Darran Simon and Brad Parks, CNN
    Updated 8:27 AM ET, Wed May 23, 2018

(CNN) In January, Milwaukee Bucks rookie Sterling Brown was tased and arrested after police say he became confrontational over an alleged parking violation.

Now the city's mayor says he is concerned about soon-to-be-released police body camera video of the encounter.
    Brown was not criminally charged in the incident, which prompted an internal affairs investigation, authorities said at the time. According to a police report obtained by CNN affiliate WISN, Brown was aggressive when a police officer questioned him in a Walgreens parking lot and then resisted arrest.

Four months later, Milwaukee police are bracing for a possible backlash from the expected release of body camera footage of the encounter with Brown, then 22, early on January 26. At least two officers were involved in the incident.

CNN has not viewed the video, which could be released as early as Wednesday, according to city officials.
    Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett expressed concerns Monday over what he had seen in the video.

"I'm going to let the release of that speak for itself, but yes, I definitely have concerns after watching that video," the mayor said, according to CNN affiliate WTMJ.

On Sunday, Assistant Police Chief Michael Brunson spoke to parishioners about the release of unspecified video footage during a program for a nonviolence initiative at a Milwaukee church.

"There's going to be a video that's going to come out soon, in the next couple of weeks, involving the department," said Brunson, according to CNN affiliate WITI. "And I'm going to be honest with you, we're going to need your support during the challenges."

Brunson did not identify the video to which he was referring, WITI reported, and Milwaukee police have not commented about the body camera footage of Brown's arrest. But the police department has said it intends to release the video along with the findings of an internal investigation once the investigation is completed.

The status of the officers involved in the encounter with Brown was not immediately known. Brown's lawyer, Mark Thomsen, declined to comment on the video on Tuesday.

Police report

According to the police report, the arresting officer wrote that he was conducting a business check at a Walgreens around 2 a.m. when he saw a vehicle illegally parked horizontally across two handicapped parking spaces. A passenger told the officer the driver was in the Walgreens, the officer wrote.

The driver, described as a tall black male -- later identified as Brown -- approached him "and stood within arm's reach," the officer wrote.

The officer said he "repeatedly" asked Brown to step back but Brown refused.

"Brown became very aggressive," said the officer, who called for another squad car.

As a sergeant who arrived interviewed Brown, he "physically resisted officers attempts to handcuff him and he was taken to the ground in a controlled manner," the arresting officer wrote in the report. The officer said he tried to help his colleagues "because Brown continued to resist being handcuffed."

"A Taser had to be employed to get Brown in control with handcuffs," according to the arresting officer.
    Police said Brown resisted or obstructed an officer, which is a misdemeanor, according to the report. He was later seen at a hospital, the report said.

He was booked, issued a parking ticket and released from the Milwaukee County Jail, WISN reported. Brown was not criminally charged after police authorities reviewed reports and body camera footage, the department said.

The department said it decided not to present the case to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office for charges.
    Brown had a bruise and scab on his face before a game between the Bucks and the Brooklyn Nets that was played later on the day of his arrest, according to WISN. When asked about the marks, Brown said: "It's an issue I'm dealing with right now. That's all I really want to say right now," WISN reported.

Brown graduated from Southern Methodist University after a standout college career, according to his bio on the Bucks' website.

The Philadelphia 76ers drafted the guard with the 46th overall pick in last summer's NBA draft but traded him to the Bucks soon after.

CNN's Sheena Jones and Kelly Christ contributed to this report.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/us/mi...own/index.html
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Damn! So far everyone on Fox is standing up for Sterling Brown. SORRY! Not me. He parked crossways taking up 3 handicapped parking spaces, and when caught red-handed, he refuses to give the police his driver's license or take his hands out of his pockets. I'm opposed to tasers, but they are legal and why they chose to use one on him, I don't know, but they use them on people all the time, so if using a taser on someone who isn't famous is okay, then it's okay using it on someone who is.

This is a stupid story in my opinion and just proves the pointless arrogance of so many professional athletes today who think they can park their fancy car on 3 handicapped parking spaces so they don't have to walk a good ways like everyone else to get into the store from the parking lot. He's a healthy athlete who should have no problem walking whatever distance it is from a legal parking spot into the whatever store or place he wants to go.

NO EXCUSE, STERLING! Stand up like a man and apologize to all the disabled Americans who couldn't use the designated handicapped parking space THEY NEED that are there FOR THEM, NOT YOU, because you had your fancy car ILLEGALLY parked in 3 of them and thought for some ignorant reason you could get away with it.

You're the wrong-doer here, not the police, trying to turn yourself into a victim. NO! That won't fly with me. YOU APOLOGIZE AND TAKE YOUR MEDICINE, pay the fine and serve the time x 3, because you didn't just illegally park in 1 space, you parked in 3 spaces.

SHAME ON YOU!!! GRRRR!!!!
    Last edited by Judy; 05-23-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I guess in the video below, at 3:30, that scary black guy became aggressive?

I guess he wold have been eating Burger King if he was like Dylan Roof...

No, if you listen, they're telling him to get his hands out of his pockets, and he says "I have some things in my hands", he went down after that a woman yells "TASER" "TASER" "TASER", I don't know if that was instruction to taser him or if he had a taser in his hands, it struck me that she was yelling taser, taser, taser because Sterling Brown had a taser. Maybe he carries one for protection, I don't know. But he went down because he said "I have things in my hands" which were in his pocket. It's a bizarre thing to say to a bunch of cops and they would have gone down on anyone who refused to take their hands out of their pockets especially if they say "I have things in my hands".

He was clearly in the wrong and in the stupid, the only reason this is a story is because he's an athlete. This happens every day to people who don't take their hands out of their pockets especially if they tell the cops the reason they aren't taking them out of their pockets is because "I have things in my hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    No, if you listen, they're telling him to get his hands out of his pockets, and he says "I have some things in my hands", he went down after that a woman yells "TASER" "TASER" "TASER", I don't know if that was instruction to taser him or if he had a taser in his hands, it struck me that she was yelling taser, taser, taser because Sterling Brown had a taser. Maybe he carries one for protection, I don't know. But he went down because he said "I have things in my hands" which were in his pocket. It's a bizarre thing to say to a bunch of cops and they would have gone down on anyone who refused to take their hands out of their pockets especially if they say "I have things in my hands".

He was clearly in the wrong and in the stupid, the only reason this is a story is because he's an athlete. This happens every day to people who don't take their hands out of their pockets especially if they tell the cops the reason they aren't taking them out of their pockets is because "I have things in my hands."
    Yelling "taser" three times is for cops to alert other cops that a shock is coming.

During a "talk", AKA being detained, a suspect is not free to go. While conducting a "field interview", a person is normally patted down for weapons.
    Police can request you keep your hands out of pockets.
    With that said, why didn't they put him in handcuffs? It was certainly within their policy to do so.

Labeling someone as "being aggressive" is old hat. We know what that label is supposed to conjure up in a legal sense and how it is supposed to
    guide the human mind in the media. Checkmate!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomslang View Post
    Yelling "taser" three times is for cops to alert other cops that a shock is coming.

During a "talk", AKA being detained, a suspect is not free to go. While conducting a "field interview", a person is normally patted down for weapons.
    Police can request you keep your hands out of pockets.
    With that said, why didn't they put him in handcuffs? It was certainly within their policy to do so.

Labeling someone as "being aggressive" is old hat. We know what that label is supposed to conjure up in a legal sense and how it is supposed to
    guide the human mind in the media. Checkmate!
    Oh okay, so that's a signal to themselves that the cops themselves are using a taser on the person they took down. Again, I'm opposed to police tasers, and years ago posted all the time against them, they're a lethal weapon and are used as if they aren't one. Many innocent people have died from police tasing. We can't see what's going on on the ground so he must have resisted or something, to cause them to do that, if not, then the police need to explain the taser. It sounded to me like they were yelling taser the same way they yell gun gun gun when suspect has a firearm. What do they yell when the suspect has a personal taser? I wonder what the "things were in my hands" that were in his hands in his pockets?

Again, the only reason this is a story is because he's an athlete who this time was in the wrong parking in the handicapped spaces as well as not showing his hands.

Oh okay, so that's a signal to themselves that the cops themselves are using a taser on the person they took down. Again, I'm opposed to police tasers, and years ago posted all the time against them, they're a lethal weapon and are used as if they aren't one. Many innocent people have died from police tasing. We can't see what's going on on the ground so he must have resisted or something, to cause them to do that, if not, then the police need to explain the taser. It sounded to me like they were yelling taser the same way they yell gun gun gun when suspect has a firearm. What do they yell when the suspect has a personal taser? I wonder what the "things were in my hands" that were in his hands in his pockets?

Again, the only reason this is a story is because he's an athlete who this time was in the wrong parking in the handicapped spaces as well as not showing his hands.
    If we don't know what was happening, then we can't say with any certainty that he was resisting.

Cops, to many black people, are not there to help. I have hear horrible things during my employment in law enforcement. That's the facts.

I agree with you that things like this happens everyday, but this situation is reported nationwide because an athlete is involved.
    My question is should things like this be happening at all.

Here's an example of some of our trusted keepers of order.

My question is should things like this be happening at all.
    In this case for this reason and anyone else parking in these spaces, I'm all for taking them down. Do you have any idea the cost to this country in terms of land, paving, signs and arrangements not to mention the inconvenience to other customers of handicapped parking requirements? It's huge. But these empty spaces are not for you, UNLESS, you are a handicapped individual. When Sterling parks his ass in 3 of them, that means the spaces weren't available for the person who needs them, that customers are paying for, to help these individuals, not to give him some royal front door treatment. These are not "celebrity parking" spaces, they are handicapped parking spaces, for people with disabilities and health issues. We shouldn't even have to pay cops to hand out tickets or confront Americans over this. How much time do police officers nationwide spent enforcing handicapped parking space violations? I imagine it's huge. It just is a sad story about the corruption of our country that someone as blessed as Sterling Brown thinks he has the right to steal not one, but 3 parking spaces from people in wheelchairs or who use walkers and canes, have breathing problems and other maladies that qualify them for a handicapped permit.

All because of the arrogant athlete thinks an empty space in his case 3 spaces at the front of the store has his name on it, when it doesn't.

So, I'm all for bringing the hammer down so that all the handicapped spaces are used only by handicapped persons, because they need them and non-handicapped people don't.

Anyone in our country today who doesn't know that if you're surrounded by a lot of police officers telling you to take your hands out of your pockets and you don't, then you're going down. Sterling need to thank his lucky stars they didn't shoot him. They would have killed me if I said "I have things in my hands" as the reason I wasn't taking my hands out of my pockets after refusing to produce my driver's license on a parking violation.

Media can hype this one all day, but it's not going anywhere. No American has any sympathy for someone who steals handicapped parking spaces and gets caught. In fact, we might have more disdain for them than we do illegal aliens.

As to the taser, I'm opposed to police taser. But they're legal, cops can use them instead of guns, to defend themselves and enforce the law, so in this case, Sterling didn't get anything different than anyone else got refusing to produce his drivers license and take his hands out of his pockets.

If we don't know what was happening, then we can't say with any certainty that he was resisting.
    Right, we'll have to rely on the cops for that. But they're going to be trusted on it, because he resisted producing his driver's license and resisted taking his hands out of his pockets because he "had things" in his hands in his pockets. Cops aren't going to wait around messing with someone who has "things" he's holding in his hands hiding in his pockets, could be a grenade "thing", a knife "thing", a gun "thing", a personal "taser" thing, a bomb controller "thing", it could be any number of dangerous "things". A group of cops aren't going to wait to find out, you're going down and laying still so they can cuff your butt and examine the "things" in your pockets you don't want them to see and arrest you for illegal parking, driving without a license, refusal to present the license, etc., etc., etc.

No other Mayor would be apologizing for this arrest, and the only reason the Milwaukee Mayor is apologizing is because it was an athlete. Wrong move, Mayor. You defended a guy that your voters think got what he deserved for stealing handicapped parking spaces and his color had nothing to do with it.

In this case for this reason and anyone else parking in these spaces, I'm all for taking them down. Do you have any idea the cost to this country in terms of land, paving, signs and arrangements not to mention the inconvenience to other customers of handicapped parking requirements? It's huge. But these empty spaces are not for you, UNLESS, you are a handicapped individual. When Sterling parks his ass in 3 of them, that means the spaces weren't available for the person who needs them, that customers are paying for, to help these individuals, not to give him some royal front door treatment. These are not "celebrity parking" spaces, they are handicapped parking spaces, for people with disabilities and health issues. We shouldn't even have to pay cops to hand out tickets or confront Americans over this. How much time do police officers nationwide spent enforcing handicapped parking space violations? I imagine it's huge. It just is a sad story about the corruption of our country that someone as blessed as Sterling Brown thinks he has the right to steal not one, but 3 parking spaces from people in wheelchairs or who use walkers and canes, have breathing problems and other maladies that qualify them for a handicapped permit.

All because of the arrogant athlete thinks an empty space in his case 3 spaces at the front of the store has his name on it, when it doesn't.

So, I'm all for bringing the hammer down so that all the handicapped spaces are used only by handicapped persons, because they need them and non-handicapped people don't.

Anyone in our country today who doesn't know that if you're surrounded by a lot of police officers telling you to take your hands out of your pockets and you don't, then you're going down. Sterling need to thank his lucky stars they didn't shoot him. They would have killed me if I said "I have things in my hands" as the reason I wasn't taking my hands out of my pockets after refusing to produce my driver's license on a parking violation.

Media can hype this one all day, but it's not going anywhere. No American has any sympathy for someone who steals handicapped parking spaces and gets caught. In fact, we might have more disdain for them than we do illegal aliens.

As to the taser, I'm opposed to police taser. But they're legal, cops can use them instead of guns, to defend themselves and enforce the law, so in this case, Sterling didn't get anything different than anyone else got refusing to produce his drivers license and take his hands out of his pockets.
    I don't like when able bodied individuals park in handicap spaces, either!
    But I am a law and order stickler, and the law says that the penalty for such a crime is $500 Class C Misdemeanor. If he blocked three spaces the fine triples.
    End of story on the punishment. No tasers, no dogs, no guns. Just three tickets and a court date(s). Even if he did it on purpose.

In some states you do not have to show you license. In my state, if you don't show your license (ID yourself), you can be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor: up to $1000 fine and a maximum of 6 months in county jail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast