Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Murkowski Measure to Block EPA Rules Unlikely to Pass

Unfortunately Obama and his advisors still have ways to legislate while circumventing representative government.

Grassley: Murkowski measure to block EPA rules unlikely to pass

By Michael O'Brien - 01/19/10 12:26 PM ET

An amendment to block the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from regulating greenhouse gas emissions is unlikely to succeed, a supporter conceded Tuesday .

Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) said that not even all 40 Republicans may be on board with a proposed measure from Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) to forestall the EPA from regulating emissions.

"As a practical matter, I think it's difficult to get 51 votes when you have 60 Democrats, and they tend to so much follow the environmental line. There would be maybe trouble getting it passed," Grassley said during a conference call with Iowa reporters. "And I wouldn't even want to say that all 40 Republicans would vote for it, but I think it overwhelmingly have the support of Republicans."

Democratic leaders agreed to allow a vote on Murkowski's amendment -- if she chooses to offer it, which, as of Monday was unclear.

Even if Murkowski does offer the amendment and somehow pass the Senate, Grassley asserted the provision would likely be dead-on-arrival in the House, and with President Barack Obama.

"Let's suppose it passed the Senate. What about the House? I think it'd be difficult there unless it becomes a big political issue between now and the election," the Iowa Republican explained. "But then that process is subject to a veto."

Grassley did hint that Murkowski could offer the provision as a rider to another appropriations bill as a short-term effort to block EPA regulations.

The EPA has moved to regulate greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change since being granted the agency authority. Republicans have protested those moves as a back-door attempt at new climate change rules for the U.S.

This story first appeared in our Blog Briefing Room.

Source:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2 ... ly-to-pass
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Option 1. Call for hearings. Force the EPA to present empirical data that supports their assertion. Bring in scientists who have different views. Specify the economic impact of greenhouse gas regulation, and force everyone who is for this regulation to weigh economic impacts vs the hard core data that supports the need for this regulation (if any).

Option 2. Put a hold on legislation funding the EPA.

Option 3. Introduce legislation eliminating the EPA. Provide specific data to show how useless the EPA has been, is now, and will be forever if allowed to exist.

Option 4. Wait until there are Republican majorities in both houses (hopefully no later than 2012, maybe after Nov of this year), and then do one of the options above (I prefer Option 3)
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

I like Options 1 & 2, 4thHm, because they sound like they would work, especially after the "Miracle in Massachusetts".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Option 3,......please. What is for dessert?