TEENAGE GIRL SHOT: In the 3300 block of W. Camile Street, Santa Ana, a 14-year-old girl and her 5-month-old sister were inside their home when they were injured Monday during what police say was a gunbattle between rival gang members.Photo by BRUCE CHAMBERS, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Wednesday, June 25, 2008
'My daughter's been hit,' crying mother tells 911

Hear 911 tape: Crossfire from gang-related shooting left teen girl, 5-month-old sister injured in Santa Ana.

SANTA ANA – Police have released the 911 call made by a frightened and shaken mother to report that her 14-year-old daughter had been shot.

The frantic call was made after the mother heard her daughter screaming after being struck by a stray bullet during a gun battle between suspected rival gang members Monday night.

"Hello? Can you send somebody? There's been a shooting outside in the street and my daughter's been hit, please!" The operator says: "OK, where is your daughter right now?" The mother answers: "She's in the bedroom. Come on."

The girl and her 5-month-old sister, who was injured by shattered glass, were in a bedroom when the gunfire erupted on the street, police say.

The 14-year-old girl was released from the hospital the next day. Her 5-month-old sister was treated and released the night of the shooting.

The girl's father, Arturo Landa, 38, was not home at the time of the shooting.

"I'm concerned for the safety of my family," Landa said adding that he will probably move with his family soon.

Landa has lived with his wife and three children on Camile Street near Susan Street for less than a year.

Neighbors who were home at the time of the shooting say they heard about seven or eight shots.

"We were inside the house finishing dinner when we heard several shots and we dropped to the floor," said Ruby Luciano, 24, who lives next to the victims' home. "We were scared," Luciano said as she looked at her 2-and 5-year-old daughters.

Moments later they saw the girl's mother run out of her home crying and holding the phone.

Alex De La Torre, 24, has lived in the neighborhood for seven years and says he is worried for the little kids who play outside.

Matthew Rosas, 16, was riding his skateboard near the corner of Camile and Susan streets when he heard the gunshots and heard a car speeding away.

"I heard shots and hid behind a car," Rosas said.

The shooting occurred shortly after 8:30 p.m. at 3325 West Camile Street when a man on foot reportedly started shooting at a dark-colored pickup truck that was traveling east on Camile, said Santa Ana police Cpl. Jose Gonzalez.

The initial investigation revealed that the 14-year-old girl was taking care of her baby sister in her bedroom, which faces the street, when gunshots rang out, Gonzalez said.

The suspect, described as heavy set, with a shaved head and wearing dark clothing, fled on foot.

The shooting is being investigated by the gang unit.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Santa Ana Police Department at 714-245-8665.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shoo ... treet-year