Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NCT letter of the Day : Ready for FOOTBALL, Not Obama

LETTERS: NCT, Sept. 8, 2011

Ready for football, not Obama

I invite everyone ---- I encourage everyone ---- to watch the football game on Thursday evening. Let's make it the most-watched game in history! I will have chips and dips and a six-pack of beer. I will watch all the silly pre-game and post-game shows. I will make a list of all the sponsors and attempt to buy their products. And I don't even care who's playing.

I will not watch Barack Obama parade into Congress like Caesar returning from Gaul. I will not watch Sheila Jackson Lee again elbow her way to the front of the pack in order to have her picture taken with Barry. I will not watch cheerleader Nancy Pelosi jump up and down at his every word. I will not listen to another campaign speech filled with sound bites, platitudes, and empty promises.

If Barry would demand to come into my house on Thursday evening, I would demand to see the warrant. I guess that Congress is nicer than I am. Perhaps they just forget that they are a separate branch of the government and aren't required to grant every one of Barry's demands.

I'm ready for football!

John R

Oceanside

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/let ... z1XM67WM3K

TV: Football season set to kick off

TONIGHT'S MUST-SEE: Football season-opener celebration and game, 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., NBC.

First comes the party. As home of the Super Bowl champions, Green Bay, Wis. - the smallest NFL city - gets to host the celebration, with music by Lady Antebellum, Kid Rock and Maroon 5.

Then the battles begin, with two strong teams. The New Orleans Saints (the previous year's champs) have added former Heisman Trophy-winning running back Mark Ingram to an offense led by quarterback Drew Brees; the Packers have returned running back Ryan Grant and tight end Jermichael Finley (both injured last season) to Aaron Rodgers' offense.

TONIGHT'S SHOULD-SEE: Presidential speech and Republican response, 7 p.m.

Here's a crucial speech - albeit at an unusual time. It's been nudged around the schedule, avoiding collision with a Republican debate and then with the pro-football opener.

Still, this is important. Fresh from a report that showed zero job growth, President Obama will propose job-making infrastructure projects; Republicans will reply that this is the wrong time to spend more.