Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nice follow-up on elderly man that was loosing his house

helping hand, and hammer
    • Repair crew: Contractors help Joliet man who feared losing house

John Patsch/Staff Photographer
    Michael Waldon and Perry Brown of Brown Plumbing look at the upstairs bathroom of John Mersereau's house Saturday morning to see what will be needed to remodel it. The City of Joliet told Mersereau that his house needed work, but he couldn't afford it. Local contractors are working together to fix his house for him.

By Brian Stanley
    STAFF WRITER

JOLIET — Last week, 71-year-old John Mersereau was repairing his house by himself.

On Saturday, about 20 contractors showed up to do it for him.

"I saw the guy in the paper, and my heart broke," said Mark Beasanski of Mark Builders, who coordinated Saturday's meeting of tradesmen and volunteers.

In a Herald News story last week, Mersereau said he was afraid he could lose his house if he was unable to pay for repairs required by city inspectors.

Beasanski contacted Mersereau and The Herald News and volunteered to organize repairs for the family with as much donated time and material as he could find.

"I probably got 50 or 60 calls in one day from people who were interested," Beasanski said.

Among those interested was Mario Soto of T-Storm Construction. Soto not only donated the labor to repair the roof of Mersereau's house on Cora Street, but he began calling his suppliers.

"Mario came to us and told us about the family's situation," said John Walker of Richards Building Supply. "We thought this was an excellent chance to show we want to get involved in the community and will donate the materials needed for the roof."

As other contractors inspected the entire house, Walker said no one reconsidered volunteering when they saw the amount of work that was needed.

"If anything, I think that encouraged us more. This is a good guy. He's worked hard, and it's time for the community to come and help him out."

Mersereau's neighbors Margie Gasperich and Fran Hewlett agree.

"They're good people. John shovels sidewalks and driveways for some of the neighbors," Hewlett said. "We've been trying to get something in the neighborhood done to help them."

"Talk about good Samaritans," Gasperich said as a steady line of contractors went in and out of the house.

Mersereau and his family spent the morning watching as professionals outlined a plan to make his home a "maintenance-free house."

"I'm overwhelmed, and I just don't know what you say with this," Mersereau said. "Obviously, I'm very grateful. Frankly, I don't know what I would have done without (this assistance)."

Mersereau expressed his gratitude to everyone who had volunteered to help.

"They're saying this could happen to anyone. I'd been calling city services, and everybody kept telling me the government couldn't afford to help me. I was on my own. Well, from the response people have shown, I know that's not true."

- Reporter Brian Stanley can be reached at (815) 729-6079 or bstanley@scn1.com.

08/16/06
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Reverse racism and discrimination alive and well...

Where's the help for me?

JOLIET — This call is in response to minorities being hired in the fire departments elsewhere. My own name has an ethnic sound. When I was looking for a job in Chicago. I had many interviews. When I went on interviews, you should have seen the look on their faces. They didn't expect a pale Irish girl with freckles. I was told outright that if I was a minority, I'd get hired. Where's Operation Rainbow Push for me?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sorry bout the above post here......it was ment to be new topic.

Reminds me when I went on an interview as an aide at my daughter's old school. I have over 20 years experience with letters of recommendation. First question, "do you speak spanish?" I answered no and the cafeteria lady with no class room experience got the job. She was bi-lingual

I'm just glad this guy got help.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)