Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I guess Aztlan and OBL thinks if they spoke fluent Spanish they would be alive today...yeah right!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Comments On This Story

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... _20_06.txt

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Looks like: wrote on December 21, 2006 1:32 PM:"That area needs some attention. Can't have gangs in control. What is the answer?"

Chris wrote on December 21, 2006 1:37 PM:"Its a sad day for Oceanside. I wish our city would wake up and do something serious about the gang problem and illegal allien problem here. "

Tazman wrote on December 21, 2006 1:48 PM:"I know the area I live around the corner off douglas. But not in any report has it said to be gang related nor illegal alien's to be the problem. I find it sad that everyone seems to say those things about this case. I feel for the family of the officer my prayers are with them."

Cop Thriller wrote on December 21, 2006 1:52 PM:"This is ridiculous."

Dee wrote on December 21, 2006 1:59 PM:"Where did the comment from Josh go. It was the best yet."

Shook wrote on December 21, 2006 2:00 PM:"Oh, nooooo. Lot's of citizens will remember this young man who grew up here. He is an example of our finest. Prayers to the family."

Dale wrote on December 21, 2006 2:04 PM:"I live in the area this is very sad and a very sad day for Oceanside. My prayer are with the family. I hope they find this awhole and I hope he gets what he deserves."

Dennis wrote on December 21, 2006 2:05 PM:"My prayers go out to the family of Officer Bessant. was ig Gang related or Not the matter is that a innocent man had to die to attract the attention, to a possible problem in this area."

CONCERNED wrote on December 21, 2006 2:06 PM:"May Jehovah comfort the surviving families with the good news of the kingdom, that will truly bring peace to the earth. Luke 2:14 states "Glory in the heights above to God and upon earth peace among men of good will""

Enough is enough wrote on December 21, 2006 2:07 PM:" If in fact this teenager and other minors were charged with the killing of the officer then the DA should seek to try them as adults and seek the death penalty. I am so sick of delinquent minors getting away with murder. Enough is enough!!! Minors that kill need to be tried as adults’ particularly when it involves the death of an officer of peace. "

Karen wrote on December 21, 2006 2:08 PM:"My heart and prayers go out to Officer Bessant and his family. There is "NO REASON" why this should have happened in the first place. I just pray that justice is done for you and yours. "

Chris wrote on December 21, 2006 2:20 PM:"Tazman- Thats because I'm not getting my info just from this article. My coworker has contacts on the inside who are giving him info. This was a mexican gang initiation. Wake up my friend, what the heck else do you think it was about?"

To Tasman: wrote on December 21, 2006 2:23 PM:"Early reports are that teens related to the blood gang were involved. Don't know if that is true yet. The question remains. What does that area need to be crime free?"

To concerned: wrote on December 21, 2006 2:24 PM:"Please go play in church. "

Oceanside Lifeguard and Teacher wrote on December 21, 2006 2:31 PM:"My heart goes out to the Bessant family; you guys are wonderful people and this tears my heart out as well. Dan didn't deserve this. And to all OPD sorry about your loss. All of you will be in my prayers and heart."

Nanchi wrote on December 21, 2006 2:38 PM:"This has been a bad area for over 30 years - I remember the 15 year old Tait girl got shot nearby, and she was completely innocent. The answer is more money for the police department - send extra patrols, day and night to this area until any gang activity has to be done inside their own home. Lock them up if they are gangbanging in the streets."

Freddy wrote on December 21, 2006 2:50 PM:"Support your local Police and Sheriff. Send Money, seriously. It will take money and aditinals resources to gain control over our communities. Please send money, lots of it. Encourage and pray--pray--for your cities. God Bless America and have a very Meryy Christmas. Note: The National Guard and even the US Army may be needed soon. And should the Army be called in it would be a very serious matter as in Local or National Emergency status. This is serious business!"

Mike wrote on December 21, 2006 2:50 PM:"Dee wrote on December 21, 2006 1:59 PM:"Where did the comment from Josh go. It was the best yet." The politically correct censors at NCTIMES probably deleted it because it offended someone"

swatchick wrote on December 21, 2006 3:10 PM:"This is really sad and I feel sorry for the family. I hope they catch the reponsible person(s). I say person(s) as many times there are people who aid and abet the killers. It happened in Broward County not too long ago where on deputy was killed and his back up was shot but survived. They caught and arrested 3 people 2 of which were illegals from the Bahamas who were at the scene and the 4th person was one of their girlfriends as she was aiding and abetting the criminals."

To enough is enough wrote on December 21, 2006 3:14 PM:"I agree with you. However, If i'm not mistaken, minors (even if tried as an adult) can not face the death penalty."

Another Sad Day wrote on December 21, 2006 3:14 PM:"My most sincere condolences to his family, friends and the OPD. This is getting ridiculous. To MGL: Maybe those that were shot had used poor judgement when they put themselves in that situation. The OPD officer used great judgement in putting his life on the line day after day to protect you (unfortunately), your family and your loved ones. That's the difference. I'd love to meet you face to face!"

Paul wrote on December 21, 2006 3:16 PM:"I hope the juvenile is tried as an adult and with charges of special circumstances."

Military Help wrote on December 21, 2006 3:21 PM:"Sounds like Fallujah in that area of Oceanside...would be nice to have Bush send some troop from Pendleton over there...shake things up a little...Too bad, NOTHING good will come out of this...it will take 10 years of stupid court trials, lawyers making a lot of money, lawsuits, appeals for these idiots to serve life imprisonment...don't worry our state govt will find a peaceful and humanly way to put these idiot to death if they ever get it and idiot rap stars will read their prison poems to try to stop the execution...keep it up ACLU!!!"

Buck wrote on December 21, 2006 3:21 PM:"What a waste of a life. When they charge this moron they should also charge his parents. What kind of people raise children who do stuff like that? I have seen monkeys throwing poop at the zoo with more intelligence. "

Jim Trageser, North County Times wrote on December 21, 2006 3:25 PM:"Several comments have been deleted, both those encouraging or cheering violence against the police and those encouraging violence against others based on ethnicity. A little human decency is all we ask for in our guidelines - if you don't follow them, your comments don't get approved."

Oceansider wrote on December 21, 2006 3:31 PM:"Now that the officer has been identified, please please everyone: donate to any memorial fund that is set up for the family. Even if it is only a dollar or two, show support for the family in a tangible way. This officer was doing his job to protect every one of you from this sort of thing happening to you or your loved one, every bit as much as our soldiers overseas. Don't forsake his efforts by just blogging or complaining or going on a rant about gangs or illegal immigrants or the boogie man d'jour. Right now, a family in our community is in real pain and in real need. Please look into your hearts and do something real to help."

Dante' wrote on December 21, 2006 3:31 PM:"I live right down the street from Arthur and E. Parker and to know that this happened a few minutes after I left to go Christmas shopping it's pretty frightening. I come home about 7:30 and there is Police cars every where, I mean you couldn't make a right turn on Vandergrit once you crossed the old toll bridge. The scariest part was FINALLY turning onto E. Parker and then 3 Police cars are in front of a house having a lady (maybe mid or early 40's) come out with bright lights and guns pointing at her. "

Roberto wrote on December 21, 2006 3:32 PM:"I would be willing to register and I'm sure others would to stop those that advocate violence against minorities and Police. How sad the NCT even has to mention this."

Escondeeter wrote on December 21, 2006 3:37 PM:"To Jim Trageser: Well written. A lack of human decency killed this officer. The event should not become an occasion for those lacking that same value to profane his memory. "

Public Interest Lawyer wrote on December 21, 2006 3:41 PM:"Thanks to the activist liberals on the United States Supreme Court, and because of their 2005 decision in Roper v. Simmons, if this juvenile turns out to be the shooter, he won't be eligible for the death penalty, no matter how egregious the killing. How's that for justice. The "minor" gets to assassinate a police officer, a "murder with special circumstances" in just about every jurisdiction in the Country, and our Supreme Court says that it is unconstitutional -- "cruel and unusual" -- to demand that this thug now pay the ultimate price for his ultimate wrongdoing."

Luis wrote on December 21, 2006 3:42 PM:"I just moved into the area and live in Canyon Crest. I am very saddened by the fact that a 23-year-old officer patrolling my area has been killed. I feel for his family, for his wife, and child. I am also very angry that this could be a result of some minors messing with gangs. I think that parents have to be accountable for their kids’ actions. It has to start somewhere. These kids do not know better. It can be Mexican, black, or white kids. It does not matter we need to hold parents accountable when there kids are being delinquents. This supposedly kid just ended his life. "

Your paper, your rules. wrote on December 21, 2006 3:42 PM:"I think most of us appreciate the chance to express our opinions in your paper. Thank you for the opportunity. "

Kelly wrote on December 21, 2006 3:43 PM:"I am a good friend of Dan and his family. I love you all and I am so sorry for your loss. You have many friends and family that love you and support you. We are so proud of Dan and his hard work to keep our communities safe. You are all in our prayers and I am always here for you all."

Jodi wrote on December 21, 2006 3:49 PM:"I am so sorry Mr. Bessant for your loss...I truly hope this was not a previous student @ your school. I am also sorry for those who hide behind their ugly words, revealing thier callused hearts. This is a time of mourning not only for the family members, but for a community. If anyone had an answer to the oppression many in this area face, there would no longer be a problem. I believe the best place to gain control is in those who live in the area...this has become normalcy. Violence in any fashion is not okay. Lets not be complacent. "Play in church"? What would you suggest? Bring the church to the street...Sounds good! Start a movement...not just with your keystrokes. Exactly! "

sue wrote on December 21, 2006 3:50 PM:"I'm tired of people who look out for our best interests getting a bad wrap. One loss is too many, and as you know there have been more than one. Show your neighborhood police department that you care and take a stand on neighborhood crime. It keeps all of us safe."

Laid back Surfer wrote on December 21, 2006 3:50 PM:"Looks like, in response to your question as to the answer, my suggestions are that we should end the war on drugs. Just like in the days of alchol prohibition, the ability to make huge illegal profits drives crime and gangs. Secondly, we should end the nany welfare state. FDR said continued dependence on relief is fundamentaly destructive to our national fiber. Granted, latino families typically have strong families and that is perhaps not on point for this situation, but we need to strengthen the national fiber which is the family unit. Next, we need to outsource prisons to India. I don't know what we could get the cost down to, but I would bet we could get it down to about a buck a day to house a prisoner. Lastly, we overhaul the educational system. Abolish government owned schools and give parents vouchers so they can send their children to good schools that targets the students skills and desires. I would bet the drop out rate in this neighborhood is 70%. My applogies if I am incorrectly assuming this is a latino. I thought I had read that somewhere. "

Zeb wrote on December 21, 2006 3:54 PM:"My prayers go out to Officer Bessant's family. I went to school with Dan and he will forever be missed. "

Concerned wrote on December 21, 2006 3:55 PM:"It is a sad day when a Police Officer in the United States must fear for his life, not as it relates to the situation he is responding to, but from an anonymous person acting as a sniper. This is what our troops face in Iraq, and I'm certain no one in the community wants our police to be forced to deal with the public as the Military does, in a wartime environment - shoot first and ask questions later. The Oceanside Police Department has always shown tremendous restraint, and one merely has to look at the fact that Adrian Comacho, who shot and killed Officer Tony Zeppetella, was arrested, and not killed, by this department, during his arrest. The community has to become so outraged at this type of action, the cold blooded killing of now a second Oceanside Police Officer, that those who would perpetrate such heinous acts have nowhere to hide. We must stop turning a blind eye to criminal activities in our neighborhoods. We must help our law enforcement personnel to help us. No one deserves to be killed like that, in cold blood, while merely performing their job. And yes, the job has risks, but one of those risks should NEVER be the risk of being ambushed like this young man was. He chose a career path that focused on protecting the community, and maintaining order. And, as that job has risks, we all have a duty to protect our protectors! The community must recognize that they have a tremendous obligation to reject such uncivilized behavior, the assasination of a Police Officer, and must remember that this young man could have been anyones husband, father, brother, son, uncle, friend or mentor.......if a police officer can be shot and killed in cold blood like this (now for a second time), what makes you think you are safe, or that your firefighter is safe, or that your ambulance driver is safe, or that your mail carrier is safe? Show your support for law and order by demanding lawful behavior from everyone, and don't make this a gang issue, or an illegal alien issue, or a "he deserves it issue, because somewhere, a cop shot someone", because no matter what, it all boils down to individuals, and the decisions that they make, and remember, one day, sometime, we all will be needing the assistance of those we pay to risk their lives helping us, and G-d forbid, the day that it is just too dangerous for them to respond!! We are all victims of this cold blooded murder, and it is time we all stand tall, and say enough!!! Keep your eye out when you see a public servant, and make sure he or she is safe! Let them know you appreciate what they are doing. Watch their back! Make sure your neighbors know you support lawful behavior, and report unlawful behavior as soon as you see it. Only we have the the power to take back control of our communities, and truth be told, it is our job to do so!"

LARRY wrote on December 21, 2006 3:57 PM:"SAD.....AND IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN...WE HAVE BECOME A PEOPLE OF INDIFFERENCE, WE CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE OBVIOUS THINKING SOME HOW THE PROBLEMS OF GANGS AND IMMIGRATION WILL SOME "JUST GO AWAY" BY PATRONIZING THOSE WHO ARE LED TO BELIEVE POLITICALLY, THAT THERE WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN SOMEBODY ELSE'S FAULT AND THEY ARE OWE INSTANT GRATIFICATION AND IF THEY DON'T GET IT THEY RETALIATE. "

saddened wrote on December 21, 2006 3:59 PM:"The Police Department has set up a memorial fund to benefit Bessant's family. Donations can be made at any Washington Mutual branch. ... I found this on the San Diego Union tribune. If anone wants to donate "

Mom wrote on December 21, 2006 4:16 PM:"This is heart breaking and my prayers go to the family of the police officer. My son is 17. He was raised with the best teaching and guidance possible. However, I do want to say the gang influence of his peers is such a difficult obstacle to fight. The element must be so dominant and main stream in the teenage culture of Oceanside for me to even have to write this and that is a shame. Who would have thought such a thing a few years ago. I am hoping the city elected will observe some of these comments and take heed. "

Skip wrote on December 21, 2006 4:17 PM:"This past Sunday, two 14-year-old kids were shot to death in Santa Ana in a walk-up shooting. Fourteen years old! The police are now saying that the 14-year-olds had gang affiliations. This is as if to say, "See, your own kids are safe. This was just a gang matter. Don't worry about it." Well, this is something to worry about. Santa Ana's illegal alien fueled gangs, illegal alien crimes, and other problems are symptomatic of a larger problem that is spreading all across this nation. It is the destruction of America as we know it and the ruination of our quality of life. The American way is being replaced "

emily wrote on December 21, 2006 4:17 PM:"I am so sad that this happened to the Bessent Family. You are a great family and you need to stay strong. It is sad that your son lost his life in the line of duty and everyone is very hurt by this. He was a great young man and will be very missed! God Bless."

Skip wrote on December 21, 2006 4:20 PM:"A stray bullet fired during a gang shooting in the Angeleno Heights section of Los Angeles hit a 9-year-old girl in the head, leaving her dead. Three A suspected gang members were in a "shoot em out"."

David wrote on December 21, 2006 4:22 PM:"My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to the Officer Bessant and his family. Daniel was a student of mine and it breaks my heart to hear of this. "

Dale wrote on December 21, 2006 4:27 PM:"Tell us Jim, why is it that the same areas and groups of people always seems to have problems? why doesnt your paper tell people what really goes on in the Mesa Margarita area and other problem area and the people that cause the problems, I give you a hint it has to do with them hating us and the paper fearing them."

Catherine wrote on December 21, 2006 4:33 PM:"Dan Bessant was an outstanding officer. One of the BEST! He did amazing things for our community. Oceanside Police Department lost one of their very best officers that the people loved. My heart is truly sadden. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

a friend of the family wrote on December 21, 2006 4:40 PM:"to those who send out your prayers, i know Dan's family appreciates it. Dan was a great guy, and I'm proud of his service in the Oceanside Police Department, and i am glad that i knew him for as long as i did. everyone else, please stop making this a political discussion. it happened last night. let the friends and family grieve, it hasn't even been 24 hours. please keep the prayers coming, we need it."

Maybe it is time wrote on December 21, 2006 4:46 PM:"to toss Mommy and Daddy into jail, and the little gangstas can go with CPS. "

Adam wrote on December 21, 2006 4:48 PM:"The television stations are making comparisons to the Tony Zeppetella case. It is the second time in recent years that an Oceanside officer has been shot to death. Officer Tony Zeppetella was gunned down in 2003. His killer, Adrian Camacho, now sits on death row."

Garcia wrote on December 21, 2006 4:52 PM:"A sad day indeed."

keith wrote on December 21, 2006 4:57 PM:"Its not the neighborhood, its a portion of people it it along with ignorant parents. Why dont you people with money buy here and help regain the good old times of Oceanside where we could leave our homes without even locking them, let alone murders of this magnitude. Rest in Peace Dan, and may your family and fellow Officers have my Deepest condolences."

WE Can Fix This wrote on December 21, 2006 5:03 PM:"Ladies and gentlemen, I have read all of your words and I share all of your heart felt comments and prayers for this officer's family and the Oceanside Police Department. Together, though, we CAN fix this. Allow me a moment of your time. If someone dies in a traffic accident, we read about it or hear about it in the news and we rush to the accident site to leave Teddy Bears and flowers and candles and crosses--a memorial to the person lost. During the emotion of the recent vote on the proposition regarding illegal aliens, our people, MANY of them, took to the streets to protest. It made news, and I believe, some difference. The question here is NOT whether we should do anything, it is whether or not we have the SPIRIT to do something. Given the participation by events I sited above, we have the ability. We can....and SHOULD. Let us, citizens of Oceanside, friends of citizens of Oceanside, neighbors, and just those who are tired of hearing stories like this; let us band together. Let us organize. Let us march. Let us take back these neighborhoods, these streets. Some of you reading this KNOW gang members--heck--some of you MAY be gang members..run them out. Deliver the message that you can no longer have this street and then move on to the next. This is NOT the lifestyle we want for our children. Let's not just talk about it, let's do it. Embrace law enforecement, and our churches, and military, and teachers, and our parents, and LET US ACT!!! "

DeepValley wrote on December 21, 2006 5:05 PM:"Grew up there since 1963. Now it's deteriorated into this. The best the City of Ocanside can do for Mesa Margarita is give us a transit center? Pacifica School was closed. Del Rio is still a school of trailers despite the passage of the school bond a few years back. And then there's the oldest Deep Valley school, Libby Elementary. This once proud housing tract was the home of many Marine families of the Vietnam era. Now it's neglected by a city government that can't even enforce basic city ordinances and building permits in the area. When the transit center is built on the corner of Vandegrift and North River Road, there will be even more problems. I wonder if there is a city official who will reach out to the residents of this housing tract. And being bilingual and multicultural are requirements to get a foot in our door. "

Wife and mother of police officers wrote on December 21, 2006 5:15 PM:"To all the families of police officers..........give them a hug today and pray that you never get that knock on the door telling you that your police officer has been hurt, or worse..... God bless OPD."

Nubia wrote on December 21, 2006 5:15 PM:"The saddest thing is that both Officer Bessant and Officer Zeppetela were new dad to baby boys that were only a couple months old.Very sad......"

Nanchi wrote on December 21, 2006 5:20 PM:"I hope the people of Oceanside don't get outraged, then do nothing until the next murder. The police need more money for more patrols. Start in the backgate area, then move on to other spots. Roust the gangbangers. Stop EVERYONE for vehicle violations, signals out, license plates, loitering, J-walking, etc. Forget about race, go to the high crime areas and clean them up."

2 public Interest Lawyer wrote on December 21, 2006 5:22 PM:"If the liberals you are whining about actually had any sway, the kid would not have had a gun at all because gun controls would have been in place. Instead we got the conservative wild west."

Lets See . . . . . ???? wrote on December 21, 2006 5:22 PM:"One suspect is 17 years old, doubt he is an illegal alien. Just where does our culture of violence come from? Hint, our upbringing. We are a very violent society, just look at any other developed nation and you will find none that are as callous and violent as ours. Children are exposed to domestic violence at an early age, they learn that violence is a solution. They grow up surrounded by machisom (Hispanic culture), rap music that makes heroes out of gangsters (Black culture). No single factor makes a 17 year old into a cold blooded killer, it is a combination. The parenting that created this monster would be called negligent, even classified as child endangerment. Society lets it pass as acceptable, the kid kills someone and the law abiding citizens call for his head. Great lesson, violence is the cure for violence."

Shook wrote on December 21, 2006 5:25 PM:"Washington Mutual Acct 3133219879 - I hope that everyone drops by and gives what they can. Show that you appreciate Danny's sacrifice."

David D. wrote on December 21, 2006 5:28 PM:"A Part of America Died Somebody killed a policeman today, and part of America died. A piece of our country he swore to protect will be buried with him, at his side. The Suspect who shot him will stand up in court, with counsel demanding his rights. While a young widowed mother must work for her kids and spend alone many long nights. The beat that he walked was a battlefield too, just as if he'd gone off to war. Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half mast, to his name they will add a gold star. Yes, somebody killed a policeman today. It happened in your town or mine. While we slept in comfort behind our locked doors a cop put his life on the line. Now his ghost walks a beat on a dark city street and he stands at each new rookie's side. He answered the call and gave us his all and part of America died. "

Hmm wrote on December 21, 2006 5:38 PM:"I keep hearing this theme of illegal aliens? DO we know for a fact that this young man is undocumented? Or these ASSumptions? I could'nt imaigne loosing a family memeber to senseless violence. My prayers go out to those related. As for the insensitive making racial slurs and ignorant statements I hope nothing of this magnitude hits home for you for if it does you will not undersatnd the magnitude of the situation until it is your own. I realy hope that something positive for youth comes from this. This is the reason my kids will not attend an Oceanside school. If the authorities are not safe how safe am I an unarmed citizen little lone my 4 children? How cowardly to stand and hide and shoot an individual! The youth today has lost touch of what accountabilty and a good butt whoping is. Society would have us raise these kids we knit gloves when TV.. Video Games.. and all they receieve is so more violent then the generations before them. Little alone a stranger being able to tell a parent the truth they have noticed of there child when that parent is not present. I hope this young man is tried as an adult and those envolved as well. FOr they were not playing with toy guns when they made the conscious decision to take a life no matter is that was there intention or not! They need to understand the consequences of there actoins and be prosecuted to th FULLEST and if any other even contemplate this thought know they will receieve the MAXIMUM PUNISHMENT the KNIT GLOVES are off! If you parents want to cottle you know this is a real world and the yare consequences with out loop holes! To those mocking this young mans death becareful for what ya reap you sew! Try to have compassion for an innocent man doing his job so you can criticize him freely with out repercussions! For his set will not retaliate as yours would!! If you can not find compassion well than dont disrespect the fallen! Keep your opionon to your self and the limited few that share your viewpoint over a 40and let this MANS short lived life not be tarnished by your inconsiderate and foolish viewpoint. Because when you age your viewpoints will change and there will be a time in your life when ya need help for all MEN fall and need a hand!"

Mike wrote on December 21, 2006 5:53 PM:"Arthur and Gold has been a war zone for gangs for years. It time for OPD to turn one of those homes at this corner into a substation. This will drive the gangstas out. "

Benedict wrote on December 21, 2006 6:26 PM:"This is outrageous! We all know who the perps are in that area--the gangs. The ACLU has taken the teeth out of the gang prohibitions in Oceanside. I hope those scum are happy now. In our neighborhood we had a fire bombing, burned 6 cars about 2 months ago. Nothing has been done. Graffiti all over the place. This city is about to be overrun by the worst sort of trash. WE MUST DO SOMETHING NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!"

JA wrote on December 21, 2006 6:43 PM:"RIP Officer Bessant and may God Bless and comfort your family in the days and years ahead, this is truly a sad day for our city."

On Google for Oceanside Police Dept. wrote on December 21, 2006 6:44 PM:""The Oceanside Police Department is seeking qualified individuals to join its team of 187 sworn officers. The City of Oceanside is a diverse beach community ...” All I can think of is that it is too bad Prop 187 never passed. California would not be in this deteriorating state and Officer Bessant may still be alive."

I have seen OPD in action wrote on December 21, 2006 6:49 PM:"I have seen the way police officers treat young men in the gang neighborhoods. I am a white man with a 4 year old boy. We go to Chavez park in the Crown Heights area. Recently at the park I saw a police officer stop a young hispanic man on a skateboard. It seemed that the officer knew the kid. However the way he treated him was nothing short of awful. Even if the kid was a major gangbanger, the treatment was not justified. I listened to this treatment from 20 feet away. Maybe part of the problem is the way the police act toward the public. It does not justify a killing, but it is a fact that community based policing is more effective. Makes more sense than treating people like dirt and later wondering how we created these monsters."

Terri wrote on December 21, 2006 6:53 PM:"It is truly another sad day in Oceanside. By all news accounts it appears this officer was shot, ambushed if you will, from behind by a cowardly youth. If ever the death penalty applies, it should be considered here! This will send out a warning to all who have guns illegally. If you use it to kill a police officer you will have no protection from the courts, regardless of your age! NO exceptions."

Upset wrote on December 21, 2006 6:58 PM:"I am very sadden for what has happened in the community that I live in, especailly for the family my deepest sympathy to you. I too wait for my husband to come home every evening and afraid that he might not come back due to the violance that occurs. I also want to express to those who are stating negative comments about illegal immgrants to get your facts right before pointing fingers. This country is formed by many immgrants and I know that not all immgrants come from latin america, but from everywhere world wide. It's unforunate to be pointing fingers at one specific race. It's possible that you might have had a bad experience with someone from the latin race, but I know for a fact that I will never see any other race bend their backs picking vegetables or fruit or mowing your lawn. This is about a fallen hero and making sure that justice is served, not about the language that should be spoken. Take that topic to your council office and have it in the next election."

LiveonParkerSt wrote on December 21, 2006 6:58 PM:"Our heartfelt condolences go out to the Bessant family. May you find love and serenity in knowing that this fine Officer will be missed by this community."

Dayna wrote on December 21, 2006 6:59 PM:"I also graduated with Officer Bessant and my heart-felt condoleances go out to his family, close friends and OPD for their loss of another officer. This is absolutely rediculous! I hope they find the people who are responsible. "

Larry wrote on December 21, 2006 7:03 PM:"Buck I agree the courts need to start charging the parents of the minors who commit these gruesome crimes. The victims in turn need to sue the parents only then will parents know where and what their kids are doing. The bottom line is if people cannot afford to take care and supervise their kids they should not have them!!!"

Praying for Oceanside wrote on December 21, 2006 7:08 PM:"My thoughts and Prayers are with the family and friends of this Officer who gave his life to serve us. Thank you Officer Bessant. Please don't forget him and never stop praying."

Samuel wrote on December 21, 2006 7:23 PM:"Honored is he, my fallen brother! I never dreamed it would be me My name for all eternity Recorded here at this hallowed place Alas, my name, no more my face "In the line of duty" I hear them say My family now the price will pay My folded flag stained with their tears We only had those few short years The badge no longer on my chest I sleep now in eternal rest My sword I pass to those behind And pray they keep this thought in mind I never dreamed it would be me And with heavy heart and bended knee I ask for here and all the past Dear God, let my name be the last "

JoAnn wrote on December 21, 2006 7:33 PM:"God's First Police Officer" In darkness silence of the night, when all appeared safe and secure. What this officer had no way of knowing, he was beginning his shift of last tour. Should have been a routine traffic stop, she requested them not to exit their car. However they had nothing left to lose, and the shots could be heard from afar. Things then became so very personal, as his lifeless body lay on the ground. Then you heard the words that stand still Officer down. A mist of glow befell upon the scene, the Archangel in spiritual radiance shone. Watching over those in the uniform of blue, they are his charges, children of the throne. While you never took the time to meet him, our heavenly Father knows them all by name. Their honor, integrity, courage and pride. though none ever sought any glorious fame. On bended knee, his head bowed low, through tears that had come and gone. Michael gathered this Officer in his arms, slowly begin the Ascension's journey on. There at heaven's magnificent gate, was God, waiting for this soul to embrace. "Welcome home my son, my Police Officer, come now and walk with me in eminent grace". By Katherine R. " "

This Newspaper is Bias wrote on December 21, 2006 7:35 PM:"WHy are only the sympathy and racist comments put up?????"

Neighborgirl wrote on December 21, 2006 7:36 PM:"It truly is sad when you see lots of cop cars from various agencies racing across College Blvd. that your 12 and 8 year olds know that an officer was shot and where it happened. How sad is that. We were just going down College when we saw the first motorcycle cop and then 3 cars from OPD and then Escondido and then the Sheriff. My 12 year old said "I'll bet it was over on North River Rd." All I could do was agree. They remember the last shooting ordeal and now this. I hope we as a community can make some changes and fix the problem whatever they might be. Talk is cheap. Our prayers go out to the family and we as a family are saddened and outraged!"

Top Cop wrote on December 21, 2006 7:44 PM:"Do you think the jurors in the Malo case are second guessing themselves? They sent the wrong message with thier verdicts. There was another case where three plain clothes officers were shot at in the same area."

Skip wrote on December 21, 2006 7:50 PM:"After reading some of the hateful comments here concerning Gang Members, I hope the ACLU will come to their defense."

Just another Parent wrote on December 21, 2006 7:50 PM:"Where were the parents of the suspect juvenile? We need to start holding the PARENTS also responsible. My prayers go out to the Bessant family and the entire OPD family."

Skip wrote on December 21, 2006 7:50 PM:"After reading some of the hateful comments here concerning Gang Members, I hope the ACLU will come to their defense."
    OOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
    I beg your Mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    SKIP YOUR SKIP>>>>>>MY BAD!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

To Skip wrote on December 21, 2006 9:35 PM:"And you think that we should embrace the gang members because...? I'd love to hear your answer. You're part of the problem, not the solution."
    Guess it was a bad joke. Sarcasm?

It was meant to point out how many people are sick of the ACLU

R/ Skip

Good God Skip.....I pray your right!!!!!!!!

toddh wrote on December 21, 2006 8:34 PM:" 1st , my heart goes out to death of Officer Bessant. My condolences to his family during this time of grief..... Now, onto the business at hand... Corina wrote on December 21, 2006 7:18 PM:"This is for CHRIS, what do illegal aliens have anything to do with this matter. Why are you pointing the finger at them? They have absolutely nothing to do with this issue! Anyway, I came here to support Bessant and his family. Thank you." The last officer killed in Oceanside was killed by an illegal alien...that was also a gang member. Not to mention many of the officers killed in the line of duty all over the Southwest United States are killed by, gang members AND illegal aliens. And then "Skip" want's to drag the ACLU into this cause people are writing what they feel.... stiffle the 1st amendment with a threat cause you don't like it, eh Skip ?? Fact is, Oceanside has a few problems....Gangs, kids with lousy parents, and the steady decay of society in general. This behavior is from kids that don't have much, if any, respect for others, especially authority figures....or thier parents. But, most of the people that live over there won't do much themselves, except cry for Police to help them, when they KNOW it's thier own kids causing it. "

I am a complete Donkey's hind....I beg your mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Services set for slain Oceanside police officer

By: North County Times

OCEANSIDE ---- Services for slain Oceanside police officer Dan Bessant have been set for next week.

A viewing will take place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Ambassador Family Church at 1602 S. El Camino Real in Oceanside. Services will be held at 10 a.m. on Thursday at New Venture Christian Fellowship, at 4000 Mystra Way, also in Oceanside.

Bessant was shot at the intersection of Gold Drive and Arthur Avenue in northeast Oceanside after responding to a request for backup call from Officer Karina Pina at about 6:20 p.m. Wednesday. He died after being airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.

Oceanside police officials said Friday they have arrested a second suspect in connection with the fatal shooting Wednesday of police officer Dan Bessant. A 16-year-old Oceanside boy was arrested Thursday night after he was detained for questioning, police officials said Friday. The police also arrested a 17-year-old Oceanside boy Thursday morning. Neither boy's identity has been released.

Bessant was shot at the intersection of Gold Drive and Arthur Avenue in northeast Oceanside after responding to a request for backup call from Officer Karina Pina at about 6:20 p.m. Wednesday. He died after being airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.

Oceanside neighborhood nervous after fatal shooting

By: PAUL SISSON - Staff Writer

OCEANSIDE ---- Mesa Margarita neighbors warily eyed yellow crime-scene tape Thursday and waited for detectives to finish their investigation into Wednesday night's fatal shooting of Oceanside police Officer Dan Bessant.

"I'm scared," said Juana Ferido, who lives nearby.

Gang-related shootings have regularly given her reason to wince in the 15 years she has lived on Charles Drive, one block east of Wednesday's shooting at Arthur Avenue and Gold Drive, but Ferido said there is no alternative for her family.

"We cannot move out, so we just stay here and see what happens," she said. "I hope they don't bother me."

A neighborhood of simple ranch homes near Camp Pendleton's back gate, Mesa Margarita, and Arthur Avenue in particular, have recently seen more than their share of gun violence, with two drive-by shootings this year and a fatal shooting in 2005.

Standing in her driveway on Charles Drive, Ferido said she was unable to return to her home until early Thursday morning because police had the entire neighborhood locked down tight.

"I drove around and around and I couldn't get in, so I went and stayed with my sister," she said.

Those who live on Arthur Avenue found themselves kept out of their homes into Thursday afternoon. A dozen young men wearing white shirts, baggy pants and flashing tattoos, stood waiting to be let back onto their street.
    Though none would give his name, several said they had been detained and questioned by police. Some criticized the length of the police investigation, which they noted took many hours longer than others on Arthur over the years.

Arthur Avenue resident Vanessa Gonzalez, 18, said that on Wednesday night, she heard gunshots and ambulance and police sirens.

"Police were hiding in front of our house and using our cars for defense," Gonzalez said Thursday morning. "I was scared because I have two young kids."

Gonzalez said there was a drive-by shooting in front of her house several months ago.
    Farther down Charles Drive, Carmen Contreras and her family were packing for a trip to visit family in Mexico. Though she has heard gunfire on Arthur all the time, Contreras said that few on Charles feel threatened.

"Since we have been here for seven years, it's all happening on that street," she said, pointing toward Arthur Avenue.

She said neighbors know not to stroll down Arthur at night, and warn each other of potential problems.

"If I'm going out of town, my neighbor's taking care of my house. We take care of each other," she said.

Arthur Avenue has been no stranger to gun violence. From 1999 through 2006, North County Times archives list seven shootings, not counting Wednesday's fatality.

The incidents include:

- June 10, 2006: Two men were wounded in a nonfatal drive-by shooting at 1 a.m. in the 700 block of Arthur Avenue. The victims told police they were standing in front of a home when two men drove up in a sedan and opened fire. Detectives said at the time that they thought the shooting could be gang-related. Police have reported no arrests.

- April 23, 2006: Officers were called to the 600 block of Arthur Avenue on a report of a drive-by shooting with no injuries. Witnesses told police that several vehicles drove down the street and fired shots, hitting two vehicles and a mailbox. Police have reported no arrests.

- Oct. 17, 2005: Oceanside gang detectives shot a man after he reportedly opened fire on them in the 500 block of Arthur Avenue. Gang officers were patrolling the street in an unmarked police car when they said a 26-year-old man approached them, pointed a handgun at the vehicle and opened fire. A jury later found Jimmy Simeona Malo guilty of attempted voluntary manslaughter.

- June 9, 2005: Rusty Seau, 16, was fatally shot at Vandegrift Boulevard and Gold Drive on his way home on Arthur Avenue. Seau's aunt, Pearl Seau, was killed while reading her mail at the Valley View apartment complex in the 400 block of Vandegrift Boulevard in 2002. Both are related to NFL linebacker Junior Seau, who graduated from Oceanside High School. In October, a jury convicted Tony Lessie, 17, of killing Rusty Seau; he is serving a sentence of 40 years to life. Robert McIntosh, 24, will face trial in January in connection with the death of Pearl Seau.

- March 28, 2004: An Oceanside police officer stopped a vehicle in the 500 block of Arthur Avenue. Three occupants ran from a white sport utility vehicle that was later found to be carjacked in Carlsbad the previous day. The suspects, a 20-year-old man and two 16-year-olds, were arrested on suspicion of two counts of attempted murder, conspiracy and carjacking. The attempted-murder charges stemmed from two Mesa Margarita shootings on nearby streets that Saturday and Sunday.

- April 28, 2001: An Oceanside police officer was hurt during a running gunbattle with a suspected parole violator on Arthur Avenue. The district attorney's office later found that Sgt. Shawn Murray was justified in using deadly force when he shot known gang member Matthew Martin, 24, in the face. Martin survived.

- Nov. 11, 1999: Two gunmen fired shots at three men standing outside a home in the 500 block of Arthur Avenue. According to police reports, the three men ducked and were not hit. A sheriff's helicopter, several police dogs and 15 officers combed the area for the suspects, but were unsuccessful.

Staff writer David Sterrett contributed to this story. Contact staff writer Paul Sisson at (760) 901-4087 or psisson@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... ogcomments

Juana Ferido peers down the street from her house to where police had Golf Drive cordoned off Wednesday morning after the fatal shooting of an Oceanside police officer the night before.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Chuck wrote on December 22, 2006 6:38 AM:"Sounds to me like this area does not need a substation, it needs a BULLDOZER."

clean it up now! wrote on December 22, 2006 7:36 AM:"How long must our city wait to clean up this gang infested neighborhood? Why would police officers be allowed to travel alone in this area? They should all have parters and be dressed in SWAT gear when working this beat. "

Deep Valley wrote on December 22, 2006 8:17 AM:"This is a string of violence you can trace back to the Michelle Tate murder in 1990. I'm born and raised in the "Deep Valley", and this long line of murders in our community - which used to be a nice place to live - is the fault of the parents here, who let their economically depraved situation become an excuse not to be involved in the lives of their children. However, it's also the fault the the young people here who feel a morbid sense of pride in knowing the Deep Valley is a place where outsiders feel intimidated, and who also feel the need to turn their neighborhood into a place more menacing than Oceanside's traditional gang-havens on the west end of town. Speak up parents! You're kids will listen to you, and have more respect for you!"

Oh, my, my! wrote on December 22, 2006 9:08 AM:"Thanks for the timeline of all that gunplay, NCT! What a charming town! SD Malkin, are you SURE you want to build a resort in Oceanside?"

If the wrote on December 22, 2006 9:31 AM:"residents are afraid to live there, but can't afford to move. Do a safe street on the shooters parents and any other parents involved. Take them each and individually to small claims, the judge will I am sure grant judgment in their favor. File the judgment against their property and do a wage garnishment. "

Greg in Oceanside wrote on December 22, 2006 9:34 AM:"Not to bash the Samoans but I've been down Arthur before this latest tragedy happened, and I know there is one particular home that is full of Samoans who are up to no good. I drove down Arthur one night a couple of years ago and there was a group of about 8 hanging out on the front lawn and they gave me a once-over as if I posed a threat and I thought they might pull guns out. The city and police need to crack down on this neighborhood, good and hard. If need be, put a police substation on the corner where Pop-Eye Chicken is located. Our city is getting big enough to afford a couple of substations in the bad parts of town. Neighborhood policing is the answer, not cops trying to act as crisis managers, racing around from one proble to the next. The time for action is NOW."

Product of your environment wrote on December 22, 2006 9:53 AM:"Much of this violence is a direct result of illegal immigration. Mom and dad came here to work, but the kids figured out real quick that gangs were a much better way to go. But illegal immigration pays for itself and contributes to the economy. What nonsense. We're importing poverty people which means more gang violence, more crime and more killings."

enough is enough wrote on December 22, 2006 9:58 AM:"Let's get full time officers assigned to the valley police resource center even better put a mobile (Trailer) at the dead end of Arthur street!! and start petitioning to get some of these trouble homes evicted!!! "

Some one who cares wrote on December 22, 2006 10:56 AM:"I think enough is enough has a good idea. A trailer at the end of Arthue St would work. I live on arthur St and I think that would be a good idea"

light bulb is on... wrote on December 22, 2006 11:03 AM:"there is a substation in the Valley Police Resource Center that is NOT a full time substation it needs to house full time officers, there needs to a substation out of one of those homes or out of a trailer at the dead end of Arthur street. If that home is such a problem why hasn't anything been done about it evicting or just condeming it. This area in a product or problem of all races black,white,samoans,hispanics not just illegals!!! "

Skinny wrote on December 22, 2006 11:03 AM:"I appreciate the folks in this troubled neighborhood who stepped forward and gave police leads as to where them culprits may be found. It is a first step toward taking the neighborhood back from the bad elements. If you don't care, it won't happen."

trailer! trailer! trailer! wrote on December 22, 2006 11:23 AM:"substation trailer at the dead end of Arthur!! that would be a start before getting those eviction/condemming notices out!!! that would quite those streets!! innocent people are trapped and afraid out there, trust me I'm from there!!! "

Bob wrote on December 22, 2006 11:33 AM:"This area, unfortunately, is neither close to City Hall nor in a "redevelopment zone," and so, only merits attention when something awful such as this happens. The city should (but won't) declare the area blighted (because it is, in every sense of the word), raze the entire neighborhood, and let some enterprising developer turn this horrible area of town into something nicer. However, the city council will probably want to build "affordable housing," thus ensuring that the roaches will climb right back into the nests. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Skip "pending" wrote: Next to the proposed new Police Substation, there should be a new Border Patrol (ICE) Substation. Boy talk about a nervous neighborhood then.

Robert "pending" wrote: RE: "I was scared because I have two young kids", as quoted by an 18 year old resident. >>> What part of third world bario, do you not understand?

Oceanside leaders want to tackle crime problems

By: DAVID STERRETT - Staff Writer

OCEANSIDE ---- City leaders said Thursday they'll step up efforts to combat gangs and thugs following Wednesday night's fatal shooting of a police officer in the notorious Mesa Margarita neighborhood near the back gate to Camp Pendleton.

All five City Council members said the city will increase policing in neighborhoods with gang activity and work with community groups to develop programs to prevent children and teenagers from getting involved in crime.

"The community deserves an immediate response," Councilman Jack Feller said Thursday. "We have to take back the city so that people understand they are going to be safe."

A 17-year-old male was arrested Thursday morning in connection with the fatal shooting of police Officer Dan Bessant, 25, on Arthur Avenue off Vandegrift Boulevard in northeastern Oceanside.

Mayor Jim Wood and his council colleagues said the city would do everything possible to assist the slain officer's family, and they thanked police officers from around the county who provided assistance.

More than 200 police officers from around the county converged on the crime scene Wednesday night. Wood said the "massive response" should send a message to residents that Oceanside plans to crackdown on criminals.

"There will absolutely be more focus in that area," Wood said. "(Gang members) are going to see much more scrutiny now and in the future."

Councilwoman Esther Sanchez said making the neighborhood near the back gate area safer for residents should be the top priority for city officials.

In addition to increasing the number of police officers in the area, city officials need to help religious, community and educational leaders reach out to prevent youths from becoming involved in crime.

"The community is so outraged now that I think (the community) will step it up," Sanchez said. "We can assist them, and provide them with more resources."

Councilman Rocky Chavez said the city doesn't have enough resources to deal with all the "troubled youth in Oceanside," but that it needs to provide the leadership to bring together community groups to tackle the problems.

The city needs to work with churches, schools, families and organizations such as the Boys & Girls Club to steer children away from gangs or crime, he said.

"This is a serious problem and needs a serious solution," Chavez said. "Gangs and troubled youth aren't a simple problem and there is not going to be a simple answer."

Chavez said the city needs to look hard to see why a teenager would shoot at a police officer.

Bessant is the second police officer to be shot and killed in the city in the last three years. Police Officer Tony Zeppetella was fatally shot on June 13, 2003, during a traffic stop gone bad.

Adrian George Camacho, a five-time convicted felon and twice-deported illegal immigrant from Mexico, was convicted of first-degree murder in Zeppetella's death and sits on California's death row.

Although the number of crimes in Oceanside has decreased in the past couple of years, the tragic shooting of police officers hurts the city's image, said Councilman Jerry Kern.

"This is prominent in people's minds and wipes away all the great work that has been done," Kern said. "But people should not panic because the police have done a tremendous job."

Oceanside has about 200 police officers, including six hired this year, according to police Sgt. Leonard Mata. He has said that from the start of this year through September there have been 4,511 crimes reported in Oceanside, an 11 percent decrease from the previous year.

Oceanside had 37.9 crimes per every 1,000 residents last year, according to statistics from the San Diego Association of Governments ---- about the same as Vista, less than Escondido and more than Carlsbad, San Marcos, Encinitas and Poway.

Kern said the city needs to define the problem with crime before figuring out how much money to spend on police officers. Adding more police officers is an immediate solution, and the city should also try to develop a plan to deter crime, Kern said.

"We lose many kids in middle school, and have to work with the community to come up with a long-term solution," said Kern, a former teacher. "We need to take the politics out of it because in the past the issue has been wrapped up in politics."

At the start of 2006, the council was strongly divided over the best way to fight gangs. Despite objections from two councilmen and a faith-based, anti-gang group, the council approved a controversial proposal to mobilize religious groups, school and community organizations interested in combatting gangs in Oceanside.

But Feller said Thursday the city needs to do more to deal with gangs.

"To deny we have a gang problem is to stick our head in the sand," said Feller, who added that Wednesday's shooting would in all likelihood be perceived by many as a gang shooting even if the suspect wasn't a documented gang member.

Feller said the city needs to spend more money to deal with gang issues. He said he didn't know how much or where the city would get the money.

"I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to eradicate gang activity," Feller said. "We need to address this problem throughout the city."

Contact staff writer David Sterrett at (760) 901-4067 or dsterrett@nctimes.com.

Comments On This Story

Questions wrote on December 22, 2006 1:28 AM:"Do we know if the shooter was a gang member? Do we have a motive? The community should also mobilize against the activity in that area. Where are the Guardian Angels? "

Okay city counsel wrote on December 22, 2006 5:42 AM:"You are newly elected, now it is time for some action. Let's not sit around pondering why a 17 year old thinks he can shoot at a cop. The horse is already out of the barn, it's too late to lock the door. I don't blame the cops in this situation. There aren't enough of them; the only way they can police is by amplifying their power through constant stops in our troubled neighborhoods. That says, 'We're here, we're in control, these are our streets.' "

Nanchi wrote on December 22, 2006 5:58 AM:"Leave out the politics. Don't have lots of meetings to figure this out. I don't know the area well, but have read that the problem is on the 500 block of Arthur. Apparently nearby residents know not to walk down that street. Let's start there."

About time wrote on December 22, 2006 6:15 AM:"How long will the stepped up fight on gangs last city council? Can we keep the stepped up fight on gangs ongoing? These gangs are moving into all neighborhoods now. Our police are great but we need to give them the help and tools to do more. What more can the schools do to help? Are the principles actually going along with zero tolerance? I don't think so. At least not all. How about camera's where the same graffiti keeps showing up over and over again? How many people call the graffiti hot line? What more can the community do to help as a whole? How about an ongoing report from our City Council so we know that the gang issue continues to be on the top of the cities list and that it is really being dealt with. How about all communities in California stepping it up together?"

Interesting..... wrote on December 22, 2006 6:20 AM:"After reading Kern's response, I am a little sickened. His wife started this school year at Del Rio, the elementary school that serves this very neighborhood. The day after her husband was elected she resigned and left her students in limbo for weeks. Since she taught fifth grade, these are some of the very children that Kern claims might be lost in middle school. I find it hard to believe that Kern and his wife really care about public education, as they were founding members of Pacific View Charter school and it seems as though only participated in public education to help his election campaign. If you really want to make a difference, don't have your wife take a job so that you look appealing to voters, don't give platitudes about helping those younsters. Why don't you do something? Let's see some action!"

Benedict wrote on December 22, 2006 6:33 AM:"How many more police killings will it take to understand--this city is not safe and will not be safe until the gangs are rooted out. They are not "troubled" youth. They are criminals. Talk isn't going to do it--tough law enforcement backed up by judges who hand out max sentences is the only way. We could lose this town completely if we don't act now."

OSide Resident wrote on December 22, 2006 7:56 AM:"Did you notice that the politicians are grabbing the spotlight to sound concerned but are saying 2 things: the city does not have the resources; and the community needs to step up (Thanks Esther for passing the buck). It's a Problem, and problems have solutions; so why don't you start working on one before some more innocent residents and childern get killed! Essentially what we are hearing is there will be no change from the city officials or the police department to combat gangs and crime...no meaningful or long term change. That is a tragedy that even the death of an officer will not help make Oceanside safer."

Not Mesa Margarita wrote on December 22, 2006 8:19 AM:"It's called the deep valley. maybe the NCT should actually know the names of the areas they're reporting on."

Greg in Oceanside wrote on December 22, 2006 8:24 AM:"Gangs are by far the number one problem facing our city, whether it's Center Street, Posole/Eastside, Mesa Margarita, they all have their gang elements that need to be rooted out. Increased police presence and programs to steer kids away are solutions. But, we need to run gang members and their families out of town, just like the old west days. This could be done with an ordinance that if a minor is found guilty of a crime where there is any gang involvement his parents are held accountable and can face eviction from their property. If an adult is found guilty of a crime in which there is any gang affiliation, they not only face the justice system and jail time, but they are barred from coming back to Oceanside to live. The time to get tough on gangs is NOW."

Dug wrote on December 22, 2006 8:24 AM:"It is very easy to write 'There needs to be a Return to the American Way of Living'. Perhaps the people along with local, state and federal goverments need to work in harmony to return to the Great Vision for America, the USA."

Oldtimer wrote on December 22, 2006 8:35 AM:"Is there a Gang Injunction out there? If NOT why not. This area has been a high profile, gang infested mess for the past 20 years. These kids know what Police Officers are on duty at any given time. They do their best to alarm them every day! Nothing new!! The City Council members are aware of the fact, especially Mayor Wood (Retired Police Officer). The crime rate in that neighborhood has been the issue of many kids dieing and everyone of the Council members know it and have as long as any of them have lived in this City. For them to rattle the saber of disgust and taking back the neighborhood is a joke! Every Officer who has ever had duty out there for the past 20 years knows it too!!! The scared neighbors know the issue of retalliation all too real!! The kids run this neighborhood!!"

AResident wrote on December 22, 2006 8:37 AM:"I feel bad for the Officers family. What really bothers me is that cracking down on the crime, gangs, tagging etc. is only happening because an OFFICER was killed. What about inocent people who aren't officers? When are all these city's going to pull their heads out of the sand and clean our towns up for good? Is it going to take another officer to get killed? I hope not..."

O'sider wrote on December 22, 2006 8:45 AM:""DEFINE THE CRIME PROBLEM"!?!? Duh! ITS GANGS, JERRY! We need lots of heavily armed cops on the streets. The only thing gang-bangers understand is overwhelming force. Shoot first, ask questions later. The time for "kid gloves" is over. The Oceanside City Council needs to ramp up the hiring and training of new officers. This is a war for our streets! You know the problem is obvious when Feller starts sounding like a wise man. "

Say what? wrote on December 22, 2006 9:01 AM:"Why does the city have to provide the resources to deal with "troubled youth?" When did making sure that kids grew up to become decent human beings (that is, NOT criminals) become the responsibility of anyone other than their parents? Where are the parents and why aren't they controlling their own children?"

A Policemans Daughter wrote on December 22, 2006 9:13 AM:"It's so difficult to read this article. It hits too close to home. Last year there was a "gang sweep" and most of those taken in were deported to Mexico without going through the court system or even being booked. You can bet they were back in Oceanside within a week. Let's enforce the laws of this Country and prevent these unnecessary deaths."

Politics wrote on December 22, 2006 9:34 AM:"I am troubled that it takes the death of another police officer to cause what appears to be a political unified front against gangs in Oceanside. Yes it will take money, programs, and real support for the officers who work the streets. For someone to claim that they just don't know why a teenager would do this, indicates a very sheltered city leader or one in denial. Death threats against officers by gangs is common. Gangs are deeply rooted in Oceanside, and long term solutions hopefully will have a positive effect, but there are those who will not be changed. In the meantime, give the police the tools, resources and morale they need to do the job. They are the ones confronting these armed hoodlums on a daily basis. Please support the police, they do a very difficult job with or without the political support of the city they serve. "

Kim wrote on December 22, 2006 9:43 AM:"The Oceanside city council needs to do the right thing, something they failed to do with Mackin, Wood and Sanchez when they refused to participate in a gang prevention program. It is outrageous that one police officer had to die. Now a second officer is dead. Not another officer should die. Oceanside needs powerful leadership on this issue NOW."

What it takes... wrote on December 22, 2006 10:02 AM:"...is Martial Law. No one will have the guts to do it but that's what it takes."

Massive response wrote on December 22, 2006 10:17 AM:"The 200 officer "massive response" Mayor Wood stated was directed towards the downed officer and it does not send a message to citizens that a criminal crackdown will occur. Code Enforcement personnel numbers need to double to act on the regulations already on the books to reduced obvious congestion and continuous criminal activities. Why is this City so reluctant to disturb illegal families???? Notify the Feds if you can't handle it."

Concerned wrote on December 22, 2006 10:23 AM:"Here's an idea: build tent-city jails in the desert near the border and put all these low lives to work building the fence. I'm all for squeezing the gangs out of every city in Southern California. Property owners need to take accountablity for what kind of verman lives on their property."

GFN wrote on December 22, 2006 10:35 AM:"THIS IS AN ACT OF WAR. If Officer Bessant was shot as a gang initiation, or because one of his friends was in the car that was stopped and called him to "get" the police, it is no different than what is taking place in Iraq. Gangs are now "militias" that have their own arsenals. Urgent action is now required. Can you imagine the fear and trauma that will be consuming the families of all peace officers in North County during this time of "Peace on Earth; Goodwill Towards Men", AND BEYOND! These acts can no longer just be swept under the table as "acceptable" violence. Our police must be respected and protected. All resources must be used, even if it takes the National Guard...if it's still in California. Parents and families must be held accountable. Churches, teachers, and the community as a whole must step up. I realize that all crime cannot be stopped, but this is most likely the result of the crystal-meth based portion of our society. Step up community."

Believer wrote on December 22, 2006 10:53 AM:"How about a court ordered gang injunction? Associate with gang members and you're off to the pokey. Leave race and politics out. This is a matter of public safety. The young people will realize that the gangbangers are in JAIL, not ruling our neighborhoods. "

Tax Payer wrote on December 22, 2006 10:59 AM:"Step it up, my rearend! The only thing that's going to happen is the fuzz will spend more money on "sensitivity training," and some new chrome wheels for their cop cars. What really needs to happen, is to send in some Marines, (the REAL heroes) and kick some illegal butts!"

Randy wrote on December 22, 2006 11:09 AM:"Why don't we all take a deep breath and calm down. Let the facts come out. Once we know the facts, we can properly address the situation. At this point, we do not know enough to avoid fruitless speculation."

enough is enough wrote on December 22, 2006 11:13 AM:"There needs to be permanent police presence at the Valley Police Resource center!! Better yet a substation (trailer) at the dead end of Arthur street. Evict or condem those known gang activity houses on Arthur!!! act now we cannot afford to loose another officer."

to tax payer wrote on December 22, 2006 11:16 AM:"if you were in the least bit familiar with that area we have a war going on down there which involves Blacks,Samoans,Hispanics and Whites! it's not a minute man issue dude..."

i have a solution wrote on December 22, 2006 11:18 AM:"Does anyone ever notice that politicans always say "we need to do something" or "we are going to crack down." What does that mean? Give us a solution. Something specific that you are going to do. How about my idea...raid all the known drug/gang houses, arrest everyone in it. We also need more strict punishment for crime. Juvenile or not, anyone who shoots a cop, or even AT a cop should be burned alive. I think a public execution of viscious criminals will show the "bad guys" that we aren't messing around. Criminals should fear law enforcement."

to believer wrote on December 22, 2006 11:18 AM:"you are right on the money let's update those gang injuctions!! in all the gang riddled Oceanside nieghborhoods!!!"

momof5 wrote on December 22, 2006 11:21 AM:"I didn't need the city to keep my 5 from being "troubled". My kids had no guns and no drugs because I let them know that mom didn't need a search warrant."

Say what? wrote on December 22, 2006 11:40 AM:"Thank you momof5, and AMWN!!! Nice to know there are still some parents out there who are actually PARENTING! "

O'side Res wrote on December 22, 2006 11:51 AM:"The same council who closed the Vista American Little League Field and has done nothing to rectify the problem after 3 years. Hey kids were closing your field, but hey go play in John Landis Park with the gangs and drunks. The community should rise up and throw the whole council and Mayor on their duffs!"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast